Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards What other cards offer cashback / Amex offers-like equivalents?

• Reney 755 posts

I’m looking to close my VA card to reset the bonus. I find their Amex offers like cashback can be very good. What other cards offer a similar facility? From other posts I suspect Barclaycard and MBNA but not 100% sure.

Grateful for info on which card gives the best offer – although note that might be related to the level of spends people put through. I have a Halfiax debit card which seems to do similar offers, given the lack of rewards I don’t use it and at best I have only seen 3 offers on it for companies I have no use for.

SteveJ 977 posts

I have Santander All In One and they seem to get the similar list of offers as MBNA etc

WillPS 194 posts

LBG – Lloyds, Halifax, Bank of Scotland
    NWG – Natwest, Royal Bank of Scotland – Ulster had a seperate scheme (Visa Rewards) but are probably moving to the same one
    Barclaycard (but not Barclays current accounts yet at least)
    Virgin Money (current account only)
    Santander

The offers are all much of a muchness really, I assume they all originate via the same affiliate network regardless of which organisation actually offers them to you.

davefl 1,217 posts

I just signed up for Barclaycard Rewards because it’s fee free for overseas spend, beats the halifax clarity by offering .25% cashback and the extra cashback rewards look to pretty much be the same as all the ones on VA.

And it’s a Visa too. I’ve come across several places recently who dont take Mastercard or Amex, only Visa. Restaurants in Cyprus, Costo in the USA etc.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,194 posts

I just signed up for Barclaycard Rewards because it’s fee free for overseas spend, beats the halifax clarity by offering .25% cashback and the extra cashback rewards look to pretty much be the same as all the ones on VA.

And it’s a Visa too. I’ve come across several places recently who dont take Mastercard or Amex, only Visa. Restaurants in Cyprus, Costo in the USA etc.

That’s unfortunate.

As noted above, the offers all come from the same couple of providers. In general, Amex ones are more generous and more upmarket. On the former, I believe that Amex doesn’t seek to make any money from cardlinked offers whilst I think Lloyds etc are pocketing a percentage of the cashback.

I have only used three MBNA offers ever, whilst I probably trigger 4-5 Amex ones per month. Obviously your lifestyle may vary.

MBNA / Lloyds tends to show me 25-30 offers at once. My wife once had 93 on her Amex Gold.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    kt74 42 posts

Almost all the major cards have cashback offers of some sort, but their attractiveness varies massively (and not just based on your previous spend) – e.g. Amex, Barclaycard and Curve all offered Costa, Morrisons and Byron Burgers cashback offers over Autumn, but the %, time periods, min/max spend, multi/single use all varied – so you need to check them all, and use them in the correct sequence…

In general I’ve found the Amex ones less useful for day-to-day spend, with a few notable exceptions (e.g. Shop Small, which they fund themselves, not the retailer). And some Amex ones don’t re-appear if you’ve used them once before – HFP will talk about some amazing discount repeating at retailer X, and it isn’t on any of my cards 🙁

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.