Forum Replies Created
24th September 2023 at 21:56 in reply to: Is the free BA Amex card good for us?IPetkova 1 post
Hi Rob, what option is best for ‘upgrading’ from blue avios Amex? Is it worth going to the BAPP with no bonus or staying with the blue? It is unlikely that we will benefit from business class (with kids) etc.. Basically, I still want the companion voucher but is it worth the 250 fee for a better rate on pounds to avios? thank you
To be honest, I think you’re better off with this:
Let me explain why. This card (since you won’t spend enough to trigger the 241 voucher) does everything that the free BA card can do – and a lot more.
It earns 1 Amex point per £1 which converts to 1 Avios per £1 (same as the free BA card) BUT can also be converted into huge amounts of other stuff – other travel rewards programmes, High Street gift vouchers, etc etc.
In your scenario there is zero benefit in collecting 1 Avios per £1 when you could have a card which gets you 1 Avios per £1 IF YOU CHOOSE TO CONVERT INTO IT at some future point BUT gives you a lot more flexibility if you change your mind.
If you really, really want an Avios card, get the free Barclaycard instead of the Amex – https://www.headforpoints.com/hfp/barclaycard-avios-articles/
Same earn rate (1 per £1) but you can use it at more places because its a Mastercard and not an Amex.
New to Head for Points?
Welcome! We’re the UK’s most-read source of business travel, Avios, frequent flyer and hotel loyalty news. Let us improve how you travel. Got any questions? Ask them in our forums.
Latest Forum Posts
- Lady London on Tokyo > Manchester cancelled
- Jim Utd on Travel Talk forum – anyone else invited?
- BBbetter on Chat thread – Wednesday 21st February
- BA Flyer IHG Stayer on Hilton Grand Vacations Timeshare Promotion
- Ihar on Nationwide travel insurance changing
- Aston100 on Tokyo > Manchester cancelled
- RoundTheWorld on Hilton Grand Vacations Timeshare Promotion
- phantomchickenz on Hilton St George’s Park April cheap rates
- Lyn on Using AA lounge on US domestic flight
- davefl on Anyone else having issues with Avios eStore?
Check reward flight availability instantly for free!
Booking a luxury hotel?
Our luxury hotel booking service offers you GUARANTEED extra benefits over booking direct. Works with Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, The Ritz Carlton, St Regis and more. We've booked £1.7 million of rooms to date. Click for details.