Introducing BAwayday – a new, super cheap, last minute flight ticket!

Rather quietly, British Airways has launched a trial of a new – and potentially very interesting – leisure product.

Called BAwayday (hmmm ….), these are cheap, last minute, same-day-return tickets offered at a fixed price.

Available ONLY for Saturdays and Sundays, the prices are set.   At present, they are available to six destinations from Heathrow:

Dublin 2

Geneva £78

Dublin £79

Rome £88

Edinburgh £89

Vienna £97

Munich £98

You must fly back the same day, either Saturday or Sunday.  Realistically, you will need to live close to Heathrow to take full advantage, or be willing to stay over the night before or after in a local hotel.

This is the key thing, though, and the point that other coverage of these fares has ignored.  They book into G class.  In plain English, this means that they will be available even at very short notice, except at peak periods.

I am writing this on Monday evening.  This is the availability for the coming weekend (remember that rugby is impacting schedules):

Geneva – Saturday no, Sunday no

Dublin – Saturday no, Sunday YES (see screenshot)

Rome – Saturday no, Sunday no

Edinburgh – Saturday no (albeit £108 normally), Sunday no

Vienna – Saturday YES, Sunday YES

Munich – Saturday YES, Sunday no

You need to remember that rugby has killed availability for some of these routes.  However, Dublin is there for Sunday, Vienna for both Saturday and Sunday and Munich for Saturday.

I doubt British Airways will do a lot of publicity for these deals, because there are only a limited number of flights each day that can realistically be used.  They DO represent excellent value, though.

There is no information about these fares at ba.com, but you can book via the standard ba.com booking page.

Shopping discounts when you show a British Airways boarding pass
How Amex Membership Rewards members can buy miles for up to 50% off

Comments

1. What’s the terms if you don’t return? Ie use it as a potentially cheaper single where there’s no availability otherwise?

• squills says:

BA can’t possibly penalise you if you don’t use the return leg.

However, my old trick – used by many 😉 – of using 2 x cheap returns to get a cheaper fare than 1 x expensive fare (ie you only use 1 leg of each) is definitely frowned upon, to the extent that you have to be pretty canny not to get the return leg of flight #2 cancelled.

2. 1) Assuming G counts as discount economy and you’d be restricted to 20 TPs earned?

2) Is it Economy only?

Unless you need TPs it doesn’t feel like a great proposition – basically gives you the ability to go to these places for lunch but not much more…?

• squills says:

Probably OK if you need status and the year is closing in 😉

I wouldn’t be hearsed otherwise: too much hassle for a very few hours of interest. All that travelling to/ from the airport & hanging around…

• Economy only, but you might be offered the usual upgrade opportunity via Manage My Booking for cash (you won’t be able to upgrade with Avios)

3. I reckon using the BA schedule, if you got first flight out and last one back to Geneva, you could get 5 or 6 hours skiing in.

In light of that, my money’s on these flights not being available for Geneva until May :-(

• pazza2000 says:

Really, that long on the slopes? What’s the transport options from GVA to various resorts? I can’t imagine a day trip to Chamomix being feasible but I understand there are closer resorts.

• LondonFoodie says:

You can do GVA-Chamonix in about an hour or even less. I used Chamvan, and while they say more, practically it can be done in an hour. Megeve is 90 minutes away, so doable for a day trip of skiing.
        Also MUC would work for Kitzbuhel or some of the closer resorts as the return is very late, but Saturday traffic would make it impractical.

4. I quite frequently end up on Easyjet because of the silly BA/Alitalia O/W prices so Rome for £88 YESH!

5. Well, Tony, Mrs Roger and I took a day trip to Geneva on Saturday. :) At time of booking, they also had availability for the coming weekend and in April for slightly higher prices. We used the £15 p.p. discount offer making our net price £62-ish each.

Lunch in Geneva seemed a good idea, and the trip would have the side benefit of ensuring a further year’s Silver for Mrs Roger.

Our outbound flight was rammed. I’d forgotten that Saturday is changeover day for the skiing brigade and Geneva airport frankly can’t handle the crowds efficiently.

Curiously, we bought Hand Baggage Only fares about 36 hours ahead of the first flight and were offered upgrades to Club Europe for £89 each, implying unsold Club availability. We didn’t bother as we chose the favourable AC seats in the first row of Euro Traveller – row 12! In the event, Club was full so I was surprised by the upgrade offer.

Geneva offers a free train/bus ticket into Geneva and around valid for 80 minutes. Returning costs a whole 3.50 CHF.

6. Hingeless says:

You could . .

HEX to LHR after work on a Friday

Stay at the Sofitel Friday night and not check out

Fly to Europe for the day Saturday

Stay in the Sofitel Saturday night

Fly to another destination for the day on Sunday

Go home Sunday night

Ms Hingeless actually agreed this would be fun ( which surprised me)

7. darrenf says:

Is this combinable with the BMI MC discount?

• Yes, should be.

• Sorry to be forgetful these days, but am about to book BA,and have a old BMI MC… what is the discount you refer to here? Thanks

• Some BMI cards now give 10 per cent off BA tickets. Log in at diamond club.org, if your card qualifies you will see a big banner under Offers. Click through the banner and discount is automatic .

• I see the banner even though (I think) my card doesn’t qualify. It says “exclusively for MBNA Diamond Club plus and Diamond Club MasterCard annual fee cardholders”. I have the original free MasterCard.

8. @Hingeless Back in the days of plentiful 1p flights on Ryanair, I met somebody doing something similar.

Except instead of the Sofitel, it was the back seat of her car, parked somewhere near Stansted! Maribor, Kerry, Łódź…

• Hingeless says:

I did 1p each way to Dublin once, so 4p return for the two of us inclusive of ALL charges

My credit card provider called me up to make sure it wasn’t fraud

9. It appears you can fly OUT on Saturday and BACK on Sunday and still get these fares, at least on some routes (I checked LHR-MUC-LHR).

This makes it substantially more attractive to some.

Hat tip to pianoamit 😉

• That IS useful to know!

• Hingeless says:

Less fun though

• squills says:

Reminds me of a month inter-railing round Europe as a 17YO when I hit upon the brilliant idea of saving on accommodation costs by hopping on a night train for 8-12 hours instead, ie trying to sleep on the train & waking up in another country.

Bad idea.

Next year I inter-railed again but spent 10 days in each of Spain, Italy, Greece.

Fabulous.

• Such a good idea in theory; so bad in practice. :-)

It is often said that the only way to get a good night’s sleep on a sleeper train is to have spent the previous night on a sleeper train!

• Froggitt says:

Now we are grownups, its called a cruise…….go to sleep in Italy, wake up in Croatia. Go to sleep in Croatia, wake up in Greece etc.

• squills says:

At least you can sleep on a boat & nobody’s going to steal your money or act funny 😉

• squills says:

Some miscreant stole 50,000 lire off me on a train ;-(

• Lady London says:

Ah… memories. I got the Interrailing thing down so I could spend every alternate night on a train. But never 2 nights in a row…. Those were the days :-)

Now I’m grown up, I collect air miles instead :-)

• squills says:

[wistful]
            Spain, Italy & Greece were cheap back then 😉
            [/wistful]

• Yes – currently, you can get the first flight out on Saturday 15 and the first flight back on Sunday 16 for the cheapest price. Much better than taking the last flight out, in my opinion, since you can have an evening in Munich (and presumably other places, too).

• Though perhaps that is just the Hello Weekend deal…

• My issue with the Hello Weekend deal is that it’s for 2 people. I can’t find any option for 1, as all the prices are quoted per person, ie the hotel cost is divided by 2.

• Ah yes, I forgot the hotel part of the Hello Weekend deal. In that case, these flights are definitely a good deal. For this weekend, I found availability for all flights to Vienna on Saturday and for the last flight back on Sunday. So you can two whole days and one night there – not bad, at all!

10. You can find the flights for the next couple of weeks in grid format at the bottom of the ‘Hello Weekend’ campaign page:

• Curious that Geneva is missing from the list

grrr….

• Geneva was on the list originally circulated when the scheme launched

• I wonder if someone twigged that the flights were rammed on a Saturday morning & Sunday night so this wasn’t a very clever move!

I have seen Avios.com availability on the 6.45am flight suggesting G class is occasionally on sale….

• Johnny5a says:

something is screwed up – if you do a search for a day return for Geneva, you see at the top with the date £40 but nowhere in the list of flights will you see £40

• That often happens. It’s not confined to this promotion.

• Yes, I saw this yesterday, it is a bit odd.

• I think it happens because – for example – the last flight of the evening is on sale at £40 but when you put in for a day return, it only shows you the physically available combinations, so last departure will be 2pm and the first return will show as 11am.

11. Perhaps helpful when combined with Raffles’ European-back-to-back trick in order to save some taxes before a long-haul flight from the UK…

12. If only KLM copy this, would be a cheap way to prevent FB miles expiring!

13. FIRSTclstraveller says:
  14. It would be amusing if it did, can’t believe that was the plan!

15. Unfortunately these only seem to apply ex-London (testing for EDI) so they do not allow discounted day/weekend trips to London.