Bits: 40% bonus on Hyatt points, 2-4-1 at Jumeirah in London, Air France to Male

News in brief:

40% bonus (targeted) when you buy Hyatt Gold Passport points

The new ‘World of Hyatt’ loyalty programme is gearing up to launch and this might be the last mention of Hyatt Gold Passport on Head for Points!

Until 17th February, you can get a 40% bonus when you buy Hyatt Gold Passport points.  The deal is targeted but widely available as far as I can tell.

This is obviously worth a look if you need to top up your account.  It may also be worthwhile if considering a stay in a top tier Park Hyatt such as the ones in Tokyo, Paris or Sydney, where buying the points may be cheaper than paying cash.

The new Park Hyatt resort in Mallorca, photo below, is another possibility.   Prices are scary in August (rooms from Euro 680, or Euro 850 if you want a cancellable one) so a redemption at 20,000 points per night ($336 of bought points) would be a VERY good deal.

Importantly, Hyatt has ‘last room availability’ for reward nights so if the cheapest room category is available for cash, you can have it for points.

The Hyatt ‘buy points’ site is here.

Park Hyatt Mallorca

Interesting 2-4-1 deal at the two London Jumeirah hotels

The Dubai-based hotel group Jumeirah operates two hotels in London.  Both are situated in Knightsbridge and are literally 30 seconds apart; I think you can even cross-charge.

Jumeirah Carlton Tower is just off Sloane Street and overlooks Cadogan Square.  It is a ’60’s tower which has been smartly refurbished – I had a night there a couple of years ago.  Jumeirah Lowndes is a contemporary boutique hotel just around the corner.   Both are very high-end properties.

Until 22nd March, you can book two nights for the price of one between Thursday and Monday.  The rate can only be booked via this page.

You need to be a member of the Jumeirah Sirius reward scheme to take advantage of this deal, but membership is free.

The 2-4-1 deal is priced off the Best Available Rate.  The good news is that these special rates are cancellable, the bad news is that it is not strictly 2-4-1 if you compare it with non-refundable rates on the same night.  That said, it is still excellent value.  Suites are included.

Thanks to Adeel for this.

Conrad Maldives 2

Air France launches flights to The Maldives

Finally, Air France is launching flights to The Maldives from 1st November.

This is a toe in the water exercise with just two flights per week this winter.  If you have a stack of Flying Blue miles this might be an interesting redemption option, especially as the British Airways flights to Male are hard to get on Avios.

You can check times and pricing on the Air France site here.

REMINDER: Get better deals on luxury hotels with a new Head for Points partnership
Iberia launches a new Avios reward chart, reduces some economy prices

Comments

1. Mr(s) Entitled says:

Thst Maldives photo looks like the over water treatment rooms at the Conrad. My best redemption ever.

2. Sorry for OT

Been told you can book T5 concord lounge cabanas 28 days prior to F departure flight.

Can anyone please tell me how to do this? I can’t find anything on website. Many thanks :-)

3. OT Sorry

how long does a first time Virgin Atlantic to Hilton points transfer take?

Looking to make a booking for next tuesday Cash + points

Thanks

• My IHG transfers tend to take just under a week. You might be OK.

• Took mine over 2 weeks to credit.

• When I asked live chat last week they said they were snowed under with redemptions so will definitely take 30 days, but when rang up on Friday they told me they were on top of it so should be sooner! That’s live chat for you!

I’ve heard some have had them arrive in 7 days of redeeming in the past.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

I’ve given up trying to call Virgin to transfer mile to Hilton due to the recent long hold times caused by their new login omni-shambles. Have wait times now returned to normal?

• I transferred Virgin miles to Hilton points this month and they took 14 days to post (10 working days).

4. OT- MBNA AAdvantage

Rob,

Do you have any insight on whether MBNA will increase sign-up bonus for new customers for any of their airline credit cards?
    I am particularly interested in AAdvantage card, currently a paltry 5000 Miles on offer, albeit no spending threshold attached to it.
    I am thinking of applying soon but if the bonus is increased to say 10K or 15K miles over next couple of months; I might just hold on for few more weeks.

I remember someone mentioning that there is MBNA refer a friend bonus.
    Not sure how that works in practice.

Cheers
    Roger

• The economics are not hugely attractive unfortunately. There has been no increased AA bonus since the interchange fee cap came in. That said, MBNA did Lufty and Etihad before Christmas. No Emirates or United deal since the interchange cap either.

5. Another wise Hyatt move when looking at Tokyo is the upgrade to suite costs in points terms at Hyatt. When I last looked, it made outstanding sense to upgrade at the Park Hyatt in Shinjuku versus using the points for another room stay.

That said, the rooms at the Park Hyatt in Shunjuku are pretty good all round, though those of us who knew it from opening and well before the “Lost in Translation” fame sorely miss the somewhat understated lack of notoriety back then.

• It did. I really wanted to use points for Hyatt in Tokyo in April but the hotels are sold out of standard rooms, for cash or points, so Conrad Tokyo it is.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

I was very happy with Conrad Tokyo. Worth swinging by the pool after dark, it’s wonderfully atmospheric, overlooking a Tokyo cityscape with wraparound floor to ceiling windows. Right next to Tsukiji too.

• We stayed at the Tokyo Park Hyatt a couple of years ago. And yes, it was partly because of Lost In Translation. Lovely hotel.

6. OT: did anyone get the 10% extra conversion point from converting Clubcard to Virgin? I received the normal points but not the bonus.

7. Does anyone have any tips for getting this 40% Hyatt bonus if you weren’t targeted? I have an account but have never had any activity and I didn’t receive any bonus when I logged in.

I have also tried to set up an account for my wife but no luck with that account either.

8. Hingeless says:

OT: I have just transferred Australian Membership Reward points to Avios the long way round (as you can’t do it directly) MR -> SPG -> MARRIOTT -> AVIOS using the travel voucher. All done the same day, but awaiting the Avios. (so 180K MR to 162k avios, but only taken 4 months of credit card spend as you get lots more MR in oz)

The scary thing is when i called Marriott they asked me absolutely no security questions at all, not even my name, I just gave them my marriott account number and avios account number. The call took less than a minute.

9. OT – a couple of new Amex offers, including one for participating Amex Invites restaurants – £10 statement credit for spend of at least £10! I imagine the restaurants are mostly too expensive for one to get a free meal, but it’s definitely worth a look for those in London.

• I saved this morning. Camino (Spanish tapas) do a few breakfast items / tapas which could come to perhaps just over a tenner.

• Gin and Tonic Please says:

Won’t let me save to my card – though I’m in the US at the moment so might be linked to that. Otherwise only thing I can think is that they’ve already reached the limit.

10. the real harry1 says:

£59.88 gets you 12 bottles of decent wine, 2 free Dartington glasses & free delivery, quote your Virgin membership number for 3000 Virgin miles first wine order/ 750 miles otherwise