Bits: good Amex / Amazon deal, 25% off Good To Go Parking, Heathrow Rewards bonus correction

News in brief:

Get 500 Avios or MR points via a new Amex / Amazon promotion

The good news is that a very generous offer is available to some British Airways American Express cardholders. It is also seems to be on some Gold and Platinum cards.

The bad news is that only a small number of people appear to be targetted, so the odds are you will miss out.  Do check, though.

You need to look on the ‘Offers’ tab of your Amex online statement page.  You are looking for an offer from Amazon, offering you 500 Avios or Membership Rewards points if you spend £25 at amazon.co.uk, valid until 31st December.

If you see the offer, click ‘Save To Card’ now to ensure you get in before it hits the registration cap.

There are various rules about what you can and cannot buy to trigger the bonus.  The easiest thing to do is buy a £25 amazon.co.uk giftcard via this link and add it to your account via this link.

If you are making a purchase at Amazon, we are always grateful if you use our HFP Amazon link which is here (click).  We earn a small commission on your purchase which helps keep us ticking over.  Thank you.

25% off Good To Go Parking at Heathrow

Good To Go Parking has launched a new discount code offering 25% off all bookings over the next couple of months.

Remember that Good To Go Parking is the ‘leisure’ version of Official Heathrow Parking.  Whilst they don’t like to openly advertise it, your car ends up in the standard airport-run car parks, usually for a lower price than if you had booked with Official Heathrow Parking.  You do need to include a Saturday night in your stay, however.

Code 25OFF gets you 25% off your booking.  You must book by 12th November for car parking until 17th December.  It is not clear if you need to start your booking by 17th December or also exit by then.

The booking page is here.

Good To Go Parking Discount Code

Heathrow Rewards bonus correction

We ran an article yesterday about the generous new Heathrow Rewards bonus promotion which starts today.

The emailed version of the article (not the version that appears on the site) said that all products in World Duty Free were included, including perfume and alcohol.  This was wrong, sorry.

In line with the other retailers taking part in the offer, only jewellery, watch and electronics purchases made at World Duty Free at Heathrow will trigger bonus points.

New BA Heathrow routes for Summer 2018 - bookable now with Avios
Heathrow Rewards mega-bonus on electronics, watches and jewellery is back!

Comments

1. I was on to online chat the other day asking them not to double our credit limit on our BAPP. On the off chance I asked if they could add the Amazon offer to our account – of course the answer was no. I asked them to feedback that the offers we receive are always useless to us and the ones we could use like Amazon and Tesco we never receive. He said they are targeted by spending patterns which is a load of nonsense! I haven’t heard of most of the companies on our list. Not that it will do much good! We don’t have the Tesco or Amazon offer on either our BAPP or SPG.

• I’ve complained that our offers are dominated by Londin centric opportunities for years and suggested they make better use of postcodes to target offers. All to no avail, always seem to get London hotels, Heathrow express, Eurostar, London restaurants and the usual niche online retailers. Little on mainstream UK-wide retailers like amazon, tesco etc. I did get the esso one but never amazon, tesco, boots, whsmith. Best opportunities in past were Hilton, Debenhams and Harvey Nics.

• Indeed, Liz – suspect spending patterns means non-spending patterns – ie. I’ve never shopped there so get offered it. … On your other point, noticed Amex had recently upped my credit limit to something crazy (that I don’t need) – but are there reasons I should be concerned about this and do as you have in asking for it to be reduced? TIA

• We got a letter in the post saying they were going to increase it from £8500 to £16500 – we had a month to tell them if we wanted it not. So we declined before it was increased as we are not high spenders. Only need £3k more spend on it before we do our next churn.

• I have a similar question.

I have two credit cards with a combined limit of £30k but pretty much no borrowing on them (I pay off each month what is spent on my AMEX cards, don’t miss payments). I also have the Gold charge card. Applied for the SPG card which said I would be approved for only to then be knocked back they say due to the limits of the cards I have, even though there’s hardly anything on them and I earn close to 6 figures. All very odd. Just eeking out my final 1k MR points before shutting the GC down to see if that free some perceived spend ability.

Should I ask AMEX to lower my BAPP limit? It’s currently £15k and only has £200 on it! I would only need it ever to be £5k to pay for holidays I guess.

• In fact just lower both credit card limits as they’re not needed?

• I would lower them if you don’t need that amount of credit. When I take an Amex in my name I only get a limit of £1500 as I have no income of my own. I just pay off some part way through the month and work around it that way.

• It is not a load of nonsense, it is absolutely true!!

I have been involved in a company that has provided offers through Amex. We were totally clear that we wanted strict targeting, i.e. it was only to go to customers who had
      a) spent in our industry
      b) but not with us
      c) with our competitors
      … for the simple reason that we wanted incremental revenue from new customers, not to ‘reward’ existing customers or give a discount to those who would buy anyway. Agents manually adding offers bypasses all of that, and negates the purpose of spending on it.

• Nick, have always wondered: who funds the cash back to card element – Amex or the merchant?

• For shop small it’s entirely Amex. For the rest, it’s the merchant. Occasionally Amex will contribute a small amount, depending what they get out of it, but for most companies it comes out of their marketing budget.

At least with Amex it’s all done direct. With the visa offers (Halifax, Nationwide, etc) it’s often through a messy mix of affiliates.

• Well they appear nonsense to me. My spending patterns on my Amex are predominately paying for travel ie flights and hotels, council tax, supermarket spend, eating out. 99% of the offers we receive just don’t apply to me living in Dundee.

• RussellH says:

Most of the offers I guess are indeed totally irrelevant to me too, as most of the firms involved are ones I have never heard of. Currently eight offers on my SPG Amex; Virgin Wines I have heard of, but we do not buy wine in the UK. I have once seen mention of Byron Hamburgers in a newspaper, but never seen a shop. Otherwise it is a question off “who on earth is that?”

• I think some merchants are less restrictive, e.g. I spend regularly at Debenhams and Hilton but always seem to get the offers. But the sort of restrictions yoj refer to are very obvious from offers on the nectar card.

• Well, like you, am fed up of useless( to us) offers. No Amazon on any cards. Majority I have never heard of! However, did manage to get a rep to add the Trailfinders offer onto my card just before it expired,at end of Sept , and had the devils job with another rep getting it added onto my husband’s card, which she eventually did. Amazing the reasons the CS folk give for not getting certain offers/ targetting. Laughably one reason for us we were such high spenders with Amex…..rubbish! ( retired NHS, leisure travellers)

• I think targeted spending patterns are based on where you are NOT using the Amex.
      I get tons of hotel offers, but I guess its because I use my card to book flights.
      None of the big chains have hotels in the backwaters I end up in!

2. Richard G says:

Looks like I was lucky enough to get that Amazon offer. Neat.

3. Graham Walsh says:

I spend so much at Amazon, usually 2-3 deliveries a week and the odd Prime now too. I got the offer. Work that one out.

• Have you seen the new Marriott MORE portal which gives 3 pts per £ (4 for gold members) on Amazon.
      Assuming that you want Marriott/SPG.

• Richard G says:

Thanks for that. I don’t make much use of Marriott… but free points are free points, and I spend a LOT with Amazon.

• I have my Marriott set to credit to Avios but blowed if I can see how to trigger it. I just spent £25 in Amazon to trigger 500MR points via the Marriott shopping site (triggering a first use 1000 point bonus) now I have 1075 points sitting staring at me ;-(
          You have to install an addin to your browser to track the transactions, not sure about that but did it any way.
          The process was not intuitive, when I went to Buy in Amazon, a message popped up saying I had to use the menu below, which was not visible. Then I realised the option to “pay with points” caused it to move onward. Go figure.

• RussellH says:

I cannot find that on the Marriott site, and search thinks I am looking for hotels in York and Milwaukee…
        🙁

Do you have a URL, please?

• With the same card? They don’t track spend across different cards, it’s purely what you’ve used that one for.

And of course I don’t know whether
      a) this one is Amex-driven (and therefore they decide)
      b) Amazon/Amex wanted different targeting

Remember that Amazon might want a high-spender to spend even more and that’s why they might make some offers available. It’s up to them.

4. phatbear says:

Ive got the amazon deal on my gold amex but my other half hasnt

5. OT CLUBCARD: It’s win a share of 1 million avios for transfers to avios this quarter. 155 prizes.

6. Another OT on Virgin’s Shops Away – Waitrose instore shopping: ‘New customers earn 1000 miles if you spend over £100. Existing customers earn 200 miles for purchases over £100 until 06/11/2017’.

• If you have an account with British Gas (their energy is very expensive but boiler service OK) you should find among the Rewards a coupon for 10% off at Waitrose.

7. Has anyone got the new style offer id for the Amazon Amex offer? You can get it in Chrome by right-clicking the add offer button and clicking inspect element and it is the series of numbers and letters following <div id="offer- until the next double quote mark.

• nope… that’s not the offer id. its just a id generated by javascript. If you logout and log back in, the id for the same offer would have changed.

• This is an offer ID used for GET and PUT requests. It can be used for adding the offer, but is quite complicated.

• the real harry1 says:

really? I’m somewhat sceptical but would be happy to learn how…

tell me what your method pulls up with

div id=”offer-OXF6fSUvdG50dCxNPUVdb1EuMF9raQ

• I’m curious to find out too! Here’s another one for you to try: id=”offer-KylQS0dnajw8YFJNXlg-S2lHRkpaUw”

8. OT: Looks like the Tesco –> VS 20% bonus is back on..

This summer ( err Autumn?), shopping with Tesco is even more rewarding, as you can enjoy a 20% bonus for turning your Clubcard vouchers into Flying Club miles between 1 November 2017 and 13 December 2017. Even better, if you sign up to Auto Opt In, you’ll receive a bonus 1,000 miles as well as ensuring all your Clubcard points are automatically turned into Flying Club miles.

• the real harry1 says:

I’m tempted, given the lack of Avios offer

• Roger I* says:

There’s an e-mail offer from BA today:

Fancy winning a share of 1 million Avios?
        What’s more, for every £2.50 in Clubcard vouchers you turn into Avios before 30 November 2017, you’ll get 600 Avios plus one entry to win a share of 1 million Avios. There are 155 prizes up for grabs, so don’t miss out, turn your vouchers into Avios today.

• Just seen the email myself. There’s another easy 2k Virgin miles…

• I forgot to cancel ours so they have actually gone over automatically. Hope we don’t miss out on the bonus after 1st Nov, although they have not arrived yet.

• Nasty if you didn’t want the miles. I diarise a deadline I need to convert by but the 1k has always arrived before then.

• @Genghis, if you auto- opt in for the 1,000 miles do you need to actually convert anything to flying club? When are these miles posted? Can you then opt-out keeping the value of the clubcard vouchers?

• Not a big tesco shopping fan but what date in the month every 4 tesco months do you guys flag up to pull out of the automatic virgn transfer?

• Haha yes, chuckled at their season choice too – seemed a bit silly saying ‘summer’ when sending it out after Halloween and the stores were full of Christmas stuff!

• I’m a bit slow in doing this, but please can someone confirm that auto convert will only apply to new vouchers earned?

I’m sitting on a reasonable pile of Clubcard points and don’t want them all to be transferred if I mistime it!

• Correct. Wait until you receive your vouchers then switch on VS autoconvert. Can then switch it off once bonus points received and before next quarter’s statement is about to be generated. Rinse and repeat each quarter 🙂

• Oops. Should learn to read on as well!

I will say the more I read, the more surprised I am at all these offers and weird loopholes… The whole miles ecosystem seems just seems a bit bizarre (in that you can earn as many, if not more, from not flying). But you all already know this of course!

• That’s the definitely part of the fun of it 🙂

9. Although it may just be an admin issue at Amex, my purchase of £25 gift card doesn’t appear to have triggered the 500MR points reward. Checking the terms and conditions it states exclusions that include
    transactions where you buy a gift card, store credit or a voucher.
    So it looks like I may have to buy something afterall!

• They can’t tell what you buy, you should see the points come in to your account soon, it’s not instant..

10. Has anyone run afoul of this (Amazon offer on BAPP):

“Offer not valid on purchases made with Amazon Prime or subscriptions to Amazon Prime”

Does this mean its not valid for Amazon Prime members at all? Or simply products where Amazon Prime delivery is available?

• Neither. It means you can’t get it on your Prime subscription payment.

• “purchases made with Amazon Prime”?

Not trying to be a pain, but this suggests if you order a product with Prime delivery it isnt included.

• The same rule was included when the offer ran two months ago. That isn’t what it means, as I proved myself!

• It’s only worth being pedantic about poorly worded T&Cs when it works in your favour 😀 (and believe me, I’m all for that!). In this case nothing to worry about.

11. Jason Hindle says:

I’ve had and made use of an offer for both Amazon and Tesco, this week. The Tesco offer was particularly generous at 500 MR points for just £10 of spend. I’m impressed at how Amex emails confirmation within hours of me actually spending the money.

12. Oliver Anderson says:

Bit late coming back to this but I bought and Amazon gift card on the 1st, after saving to my card, but noticed I have not received the bonus. The offer was definitely there on my wife’s gold card (for which I am an additional member). The account has just been credited with 25 points.