Bits: Book Lapland on Finnair with Avios, Loganair to run flights from Carlisle Airport, £50 off car rental

News in brief:

Book flights to Lapland with Finnair

Following a successful first season, Finnair is bringing back its direct London to Kittilä flight this winter.

Commencing on 16th December 2018 and running every Sunday until 25th March 2019, the route will offer access to Finland’s largest ski resort, Levi, and the nearby area of Ylläs which consists of two original Lappish villages.

The outbound flight will depart London Gatwick at 09:00, arriving in Kittilä at 14:25. The return flight will depart Kittilä at 06:40, arriving at London Gatwick at 08:10.

As a oneworld partner, you can book Finnair flights using Avios via the standard ba.com Avios booking page.  As of last night, however, seats for these flights had not yet been loaded.

Finnair Gatwick to Lapland

Loganair named as the surprise Carlisle Lake District airport partner

Carlisle Lake District airport reopens to passenger traffic on 4th June.

As the airport is owned by Stobart Group, which also owns London Southend Airport and runs Flybe franchise services, it was expected that Stobart Air – under a Flybe franchise – would be flying here.  We were wrong.

Scottish airline Loganair has instead been signed up.   Loganair has a fleet of 29 aircraft and flies within Scotland as well as to Norwich, Manchester, Channel Islands, Ireland, Northern Ireland, London and Bergen.

Loganair will operate eight flights on weekdays and a total of 12 at weekends, connecting Cumbria and the Lake District to London Southend, Belfast City and Dublin.  These will be operated by 34-seat Saab 340B aircraft.

There is no sign at the moment that these flights will be included in the Loganair / British Airways codeshare deal.

Meanwhile, the potential takeover of Flybe by Stobart Group has gone quiet.  Stobart still has a week to make a formal bid under Stock Exchange rules.

£50 off car rental with Opodo

Via this page, Opodo is offering £50 off a £350 (or equivalent) car rental.  You need to book before 27th March and use promo code 50SALESOPUK.

The £350 – which seems a little high unless you are booking for two weeks or more – minimum spend must be before any additional insurance.

ENDS 31st MARCH: Get 10,000 bonus Avios with Kaligo hotel bookings via our exclusive HFP deal
Bits: Virgin adds new Jo'burg service, Melia extends Avios earning to BA

Hilton

Comments

1. Mike L says:

Been to Levi, stunning place and well worth a visit but that departure time from Levi on the return will be painful.

• ankomonkey says:

Agreed. We looked at the Finnair KTT flights on Avios points last year, but the taxes/fees were so high that we went indirect with Norwegian instead, wasting some time, but saving some cash and Avios.

• Agreed. We did LHR-HEL-KTT with Finnair on points for about £90 pp. Coming back we flew a £17.50 RFS with BA HEL-LHR and got to Helsinki on the overnight train from Rovenemi which was excellent and has bus connections from Levi, Kitilla etc. Seat61 has some details and it cost about £100 pp for an ensuite compartment which of course counts as a nights accommodation too.

2. JamesB says:

OT: Hainan to fly Edinburgh to Beijing. Rotation is cyclic with Dublin providing a mix of direct and indirect option in each direction. Is Hainan in any alliance yet? Seem to recall reading something about that a few months ago.

3. Entirely OT – good afternoon from Beijing 🙂 Has anyone got any recommendations for lounges at PEK? I’m flying AY home Monday morning, and have BAEC silver and priority pass… any help very welcome!

• johnny_c-l says:

I recommend the Air China lounge (accepts Priority Pass), it’s got a few different seating areas and good views.

• New Card says:

Me too but don’t expect too much of it!

• Better than the Cathay lounge? I guess I’ll lounge hop til I find something 🙂

• johnny_c-l says:

Not been in Cathay, so can’t compare.

The BA one (BGS) is alright but I think the main one to avoid is the lounge at the hourly hotel which is basically a seating area near reception with a fridge of canned drinks and no windows.

• I can tell you that the lounge BA uses for F passengers is a total joke …..

4. O/T – Any recommendation on using the frequent flyer program for one off KLM flight (~10000 miles).

• Personally, I’d credit it to Delta. Not the most exciting program out there but at least the miles don’t expire.

• JamesB says:

Check out if it worth opening a FB account and then redeeming on pointshound. 10k FB cash and money would get you a return flight in Europe from June 1 or a longer one way flight.

5. prefer not to say says:

OT sorry. The missus forgot to have my Heathrow Rewards cards scanned last week. Receipts show her name (different surname). Can I just email this to HR cus services and ask them to credit the purchases to my account? Or will I need to open a separate account in her name and have the stuff credited there?

6. ITAmateur says:

OT, apologies. Is there a way to instruct ITA Matrix to fly LON-PVG in biz and following a long layover, econ to TYO? I realise I can construct a multi city itinerary but am just wondering if it can be done through routing codes. What I’ve got now is

LHR,LGW :: PVG /f bc=D|bc=I|bc=Z|bc=J|bc=C|bc=D|bc=U; minconnect 36:00

this gives me biz to TYO with a connection in PVG and a long layover, am just missing the econ bit.. Any help appreciated, tks

7. RussellH says:

RE CAX->DUB

Looks like the inaugural flight is already well booked – seats at £125; otherwise from £45 outbound and ~£39 inbound. I suspect that we shall be very tempted by a flight during the second week!

8. OT.
    My TP year ends on the 8th April and I have a flight on the 6th April, is there anyway I can get them to not credit the flight till after? I ask as I have got Silver now (not going to make gold before then) but want to go for Gold next year.
    Thanks

• No, they won’t do that.

They WILL do the opposite, ie give you a 1 or 2-week extension if you are just short but have a flight booked.

• Damn, OK thanks

• Bit OT: Partner was 5 TPs short of silver this year – 595 points at re-qualification date, but BA have just renewed silver again for 12 months anyway – is this normal? We didn’t ask for any leeway although we did do another flight 2 weeks post renewal date. I’m planning to just keep quiet obviously.

• RIccatti says:

But you can try removing BAEC number at the gate, and then submit a claim after your TP year ends.

9. Hello,i dont,n speack inglish sorry.
    ¿Me saben decir si alguien a recibido los avios por inscribirse en la promocion IHG?,llevo meses esperando y he reclamado a ihg pero no he conseguido saber como o de que manera me daran los avios¿tienen ustedes alguna informacion?
    la promocion fue esta: “Get 500 FREE Avios for joining IHG Rewards Club – no stay required”
    ayuda porfavor

• Sorry I didn’t sign up for the promotion but will translate for you, Jaime is just asking if anyone received the 500 Avios for joining IHG Rewards.

10. OT: As an Amex UK Plat cardmember, is it possible to refer someone for the IEC or a German card?

11. Dartmouth says:

OT – are there any Airpotr alternatives? They aren’t delivering bags to the airport anymore apart from certain airlines.

• Bagoly says:

The home page does indeed now suggest that they only offer check-through with BA and AA.

But I tried a dummy booking and one can select “Other airline” which leads (via selecting the particular airline and a particular flight) to “Airport Delivery. We deliver your bags to London Gatwick Airport. You collect them from us before checking in”.
      So it seems they are still offering the service as before?

The list of airlines is extensive but not complete (e.g. I could not see Rwandair, presumably due to IT issues, or perhaps government regulations at the other end)
      Are you flying with an obscure airline, did you get misled by the new website, or have they told you that they have stopped doing collect-at-airport service?

I do hope they keep going with most airlines – I find them a great stress-saver, and for my typical journey, I save a longish taxi ride which makes the net cost minimal. If they add Easyjet to check-through then I will be even happier.

• Dartmouth says:

I spoke to them yesterday and they said they don’t offer the service anymore where you can collect the bags before security anymore.

• Bagoly says:

They have been continually shrinking, so presumably they did not manage to get much business. That’s a real shame as I found it a most useful service.
          I wonder when they might fold completely.

12. 1nfrequent says:

OT but thought it might be useful as Rob’s talked about the HSBC Premier account, which carries a credit card that you can use to claim Avios. HSBC are going to reduce the income threshold for the account from £100,000 to £75,000. I know that some people have been put off by the previous threshold level but this might open it up as a possibility for more people.