Qatar

30,000 Membership Rewards points (=30,000 Avios) for getting Amex Platinum …. but is it worth £450?

NOTE:  American Express is running an advertising campaign for Platinum at the moment and asked us to write something about it as part of that.  This technically makes this article an ad, although regular readers will recognise that the article has the same sentiments as every other Platinum article we’ve published in the last six years.

Of all the credit and charge cards we cover on Head for Points, American Express Platinum is the one that people often find the hardest to get their head around.

On the one hand, American Express Platinum offers the biggest single sign-up bonus of any UK travel card.  You receive 30,000 American Express Membership Rewards points, which convert into:

• 30,000 Avios
  • 30,000 Virgin Flying Club miles
  • 30,000 Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Etihad, Flying Blue, Alitalia, Asia Miles, Delta, Finnair or SAS miles
  • 60,000 Hilton Honors points
  • 15,000 Starwood Preferred Guest points (= 45,000 Marriott Reward points)
  • 90,000 Radisson Rewards points
  • 2,000 Club Eurostar points

….. and many other non-travel rewards.  I wrote this article on the most valuable Membership Rewards redemptions.  You need to spend £2,000 within 90 days to receive the 30,000 points.

On the other hand, it has an annual fee of £450.

You can, of course, cancel the card at any point for a pro-rata fee refund.  This reduces the risk considerably if you don’t find it is right for you.

Remember that the Platinum card is a charge card, not a credit card.  You MUST clear your balance in full at the end of each month.

I have had one since 1999, so clearly there is real value to be had.

The best way of looking at it is like this.  American Express Platinum may or may not be right for you based on your current travel patterns.  There is no right or wrong answer – although arguably the 30,000 point sign-up bonus makes it excellent value for the first year.

Even if it is right for you, it may not be right for you in two years or five years.  If it isn’t right for you today, it might be next year.

Is American Express Platinum worth it

Here are the American Express Platinum core benefits (for me)

Here are the key card benefits to me.  As you read on, you will probably say to yourself that you would value some of these at nothing.  That’s fine.  You may value some of the benefits that I never use.  As I said, there is no right or wrong decision about whether Platinum works for you.

Full travel insurance:

You receive travel insurance for yourself and your family as long as you are under 70.  You can insure five other people and their families by giving them supplementary cards on your account.  Some benefits require you to pay for your trip with an American Express card (any UK personal Amex card, not necessarily Platinum) but the core medical benefit is automatic.  My family relies on this as our core family travel policy and do not pay for any other cover.

Car hire insurance:

You receive full car hire insurance.  As we live in London and don’t own a car, this is very useful for us as we hire 3-4 times per year.

Airport lounge access via Priority Pass:

You and your main supplementary cardholder will each receive a Priority Pass card.  This gets the cardholder plus a guest into 1,000 airport lounges across the world for free, including the Aspire lounge in Heathrow Terminal 5.  As you get two Priority Pass cards, each of which allows a free guest, you can get a family of four into a lounge.  This article (click) looks at the UK lounges you can access with Priority Pass.

Platinum cardholders can also access the impressive Plaza Premium lounge in Heathrow Terminal 5 by showing their Platinum card – this lounge is not in Priority Pass but Amex has a direct deal.  You can also get into Amex’s own network of high quality ‘Centurion’ airport lounges for free.  These are primarily in the US but are rolling out globally – new ones opened in Hong Kong and Melbourne recently.

Surprisingly, I do not personally use this benefit as I have British Airways status and our long-haul travel is always in Business Class.  That said, we do occasionally find ourselves at airports where BA does not provide lounge access.  Obviously if you do not have airline status then this benefit has substantial value.

Hotel status:

You will also receive permanent – for as long as you hold your Platinum card – status in various hotel schemes:

• Gold in Hilton Honors
  • Gold in Starwood Preferred Guest
  • Gold in Radisson Rewards
  • Jade in Shangri-La Golden Circle
  • Gold in Melia Rewards

You will also receive Gold status in Marriott Rewards, because – following the Starwood and Marriott merger – you can instantly match your Marriott status to your newly-Gold Starwood status.  Until August 2018, when the Marriott benefits change, Gold gets you lounge access, breakfast and a guaranteed 4pm check-out as most brands.

I value these cards highly and usually plan my stays around hotels which will give me additional status benefits.

Eurostar and Delta lounge access:

Other benefits include Eurostar lounge access in London, Brussels and Paris whatever your class of travel.  You also receive lounge access when flying with Delta although any guests must pay $29.  I do value the Eurostar benefit because we tend to travel Standard Premier which gets the business class seat but without lounge access.

Exclusive events:

American Express offers an exclusive events programme.  This is a mix of free events (they emailed me recently about a drinks party at Lords with Mike Gatting) and special paid events with top restaurants or shows.  Now that I have a couple of kids my ability to nip off to every free party I get invited to is much reduced, but I have attended a few good evenings over the years I have held my Platinum card.

Exclusive benefits at luxury hotels:

There is an exclusive hotel booking scheme called ‘Fine Hotels & Resorts’ which offers valuable additional benefits on your stays.  If you are a regular visitor at five star hotels then you can recoup your entire membership fee via FHR bookings.  I wrote more about FHR here – for me, the guaranteed 4pm check-out on every stay is invaluable, especially for weekend breaks.  We use this benefit whenever I must have a 4pm check-out, which can make a real difference on a short break – being thrown out of your hotel at 11am on a Sunday morning does not make for a relaxing weekend break.

What do I earn per £1 spent on the card?

You receive 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on the card.  1 Membership Rewards point is equivalent to 1 Avios or other airline mile per £1 if you choose to transfer them.  Spending with American Express Travel, booked and paid for online, earns 2 points per £1.

To be honest, many people who have the card focus their spending elsewhere – in order, for example, to trigger the 2-4-1 voucher on the British Airways American Express card.

Can I apply if I have a British Airways American Express card?

Yes.  The rules is that you will not receive a sign-up bonus if you have held a Platinum, Gold or Green American Express charge card, or the new Amex Rewards credit card, in the six months before you apply.

You will not receive the sign-up bonus if you have a Corporate or Business American Express card via your job and you receive Membership Rewards points from it.  If your Corporate or Business card does not provide Membership Rewards points then you are OK.

For clarity, you will definitely receive the sign-up bonus even if you already have a BA Amex, SPG Amex, Platinum Cashback Amex or any American Express card issued by Lloyds, MBNA or any other bank.

You will also definitely receive the bonus if you are currently a supplementary cardholder on someone else’s Amex Gold or Platinum card.  As far as Amex is concerned, that card belongs to the primary cardholder and does not make you an ‘existing cardholder’.

Conclusion

In terms of the absolute number of miles earned, 30,000 Membership Rewards points is the most generous sign-up deal on the market.  You would receive 30,000 Avios or Virgin Flying Club miles, for example, if you transferred them.

Whether or not the fee represents value for money long-term depends on how many of the card benefits you will use, although you can cancel for a pro-rata fee refund at any point.  I have had a Platinum card since 1999 and can justify the cost based on how we use the travel benefits, especially the travel insurance, car hire insurance and the Fine Hotels & Resorts programme.

The application form for Amex Platinum can be found here.

BA bits: LA and San Jose 787 cancellations, good US Winter Club World fares, are YOU called Harry or Meg(h)an?
Bits: Heathrow Rewards adds Asia Miles, Ethiopian Airlines to launch Manchester, win a Heathrow airside tour
Some links on Head for Points pay us an affiliate commission. A list of our partners is here.

Comments

1. Did the upgrade from gold chargecard to platinum two days ago and worked perfectly well.

• Alex G says:

So did I – and my partner’s supplementary card was also automatically upgraded

• xcalx says:

You missed out on 5000 MR by not cancelling the Gold Sup first then adding your partner when Plat.

• thehornets says:

My supp was cancelled in advance of the plat upgrade but it was automatically reinstated when the upgrade was processed.

• FlyingChris says:

Apologies if it has already been asked a million times before – but does spending on the Gold card in the interim period between the account status changing to Platinum and the Plat card physically arriving in the post count towards the 1k (for 20k MR) spend target?

Would wait, but got an bill to pay ASAP that would rather count towards the target!

• Your account needs to show as a Platinum card.

• FlyingChris says:

Yep, changed this morning and showing as a Plat account online. All (upgraded) Gold spend should now count towards the spend target, despite the different Card number? Ta.

• I have done exactly this – upgraded gold to platinum – waited until online showed as platinum – have put £1k spend through the gold card (which shows as pending on the platinum). Hoping this counts towards the bonus target – although I cannot see the target spend bar appear anywhere.

Additionally, I cannot see my previous membership rewards on my online account and it has replaced my gold card completely – is this normal?

• Yes, the exact same thing happened to me, the MR come back after a couple of days.

2. So I upgraded my Gold to Platinum and I received 20k bonus points for the upgrade

I now want to earn 18k referral bonus but I dont have anyone I could refer. Therefore I’m thinking of self referring. What card can I get? I currently have Amex Plat, BA Premium and SPG

• You coudl get teh everyday cashback card if you are simply after the referral points. Referred my wife to that from my Gold card and got the 9000 points

• But it says no and even though Amex haven’t done anything yet it doesn’t mean they can’t. I’d imagine it was just a small piece of code to pull of the names and addresses of those who have should they want to.

MR points are very valuable and churning is still possible. Personally they are the last people I’d want to get ‘creative’ with. Each to their own on that one I think.

3. mathzjl says:

Actually I like the idea of charge cards. You have to pay the balance in full, so you will have to properly manage your finance and control your spending.

• Lewis King says:

Agreed

• Lumma says:

Even though I’ve always paid the balance in full since I started this hobby with the free BA AMEX, I was always put off using the gold charge card too much when I had it, just in case something happened that meant I couldn’t pay the balance in a particular month.

I think the safety net of a credit card makes me more likely to use it for ongoing spending. (Even if something happens and I can’t pay the balance in full, there’s the option of transferring the balance to a 0% or low interest card, with no long term detriment to my credit report)

• There’s no detriment to your credit report either way. It’s impossible to distinguish between ongoing spending/clearing it in full every month, and racking up balance and paying slightly more than the minimum payment every month.

• Lumma says:

It is detrimental to your credit report if you’ve got a £1000 bill that you can’t pay on the charge card in a certain month.

• Mr Dee says:

Agreed but also for point collectors it means no option of interest being paid to Amex, also the monthly spend can often far exceed any Amex credit card

4. Are Amex cultivating their own loyalty scheme now? They do seem to be putting extra effort into pushing the brand lately. Good news for us if they did I’d imagine.

• Lewis King says:

I’ve noticed a lot of adverts on TV for them recently, specifically the gold card, and one for general “look at the service you get when you have one of our cards”. Quite good adverts I thought.

• New Card says:

Would be more plausible if the last 12 months hadn’t seen a steep decline in the service level provided, given the replacement of the helpful in-account email servicing option with the completely useless Live Chat manned by people with no authority to help!

5. Gavin says:

Wondering if it’s worth taking out Plat, lounge access + hotel statuses would be handy plus the Avios, however will be applying for a mortgage around that time so think it might be best avoided this time round.

6. Dave B says:

Is the Amex platinum business a slightly better product?

• @andrewseftel says:

I recall that the insurance benefits are less qualified in some scenarios, age in particular, but I don’t know if that’s still the case.

• imbruce says:

The travel insurance does not cover pre-existing medical conditions.
        e.g high blood pressure, so it is of no use to me.

• That’s rubbish. Unless you have an incident which is directly linked to that, you should be covered. People take these things too literally. If your arm gets chopped off by accident Amex isn’t going to refuse to pay because you have high blood pressure.

• But if you do have an incident that can be attributed to high blood pressure (such as a heart attack) then your insurance isn’t going to cover you. What’s the point of having insurance that won’t cover you when you need it?

Of course, if you cut your arm off you might be covered

• Malibu Stacey says:

It means that they would need to take out travel insurance anyway to cover the pre-existing condition. The free Amex cover is then unnecessary and therefore of no value.

Be careful what you say Rob. You are giving financial advice on here.

• It means you can bite the bullet and gamble on your high blood pressure not causing you any trouble (as long as you can afford the consequences of course) but you’d still be covered for other stuff. Which is what a lot of people do with pre-existing conditions.

Having pre-existing conditions does not obviously invalidate your entire policy, otherwise no-one would be covered.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Take a gamble? Is that your advice?

Or is that what Amex have paid you to say?

• My Dad had high blood pressure his entire life and as far as I know we never took specialist insurance against it, put it that way. Something else killed him in the end.

Obviously if you were at risk of a heart attack from high blood pressure then you should cover against that. If you are struggling to think of anything bad that could happen to you on holiday due to high blood pressure then I wouldn’t. I have a deviated septum in my nose but I don’t take out additional insurance on the slightly bizarre off chance it should cause me a medical issue whilst away.

• Why would you take a gamble on pre-existing conditions? Have you seen the cost fo medical care in the US?

Lets face it, if you can afford the consequences why bother with travel insurance at all?

• You shouldn’t. Insurance is a rip-off if you can afford to self-insure. We have very little insurance (no contents insurance for example) because we’re happy to take a punt and if it goes wrong we can afford to cover it. We certainly don’t have phone insurance etc. In Europe I would be willing to take a punt on an E111 doing what was necessary, I accept that outside Europe I wouldn’t.

• Alan, if you cut your arm off, you won’t be covered, as that would be plain silly and not an insurable risk!

(PS I’m joking…I know precisely what you mean!)

• Yes for insurance. No for Priority Pass (no guests) and hotel status (not all included, forget which).

7. Crafty says:

As Amex has effectively paid for this “advertorial”, we can be sure that their people will read all the comments in depth, which they may not always.

For that reason, we might also consider what we share here, particularly information concerning perceived honeypots in the current setup that may or may not be “glitches”.

• Amex knows the only reason people join is for the sign up bonus and referral scheme

• Plus there’s Rob, who is convinced £450/year is worth paying 🙂

• The maths easily works for me, but you need to run the maths based on your lifestyle. If you’re not taking many weekend breaks in 5-star hotels where a guaranteed 4pm check-out and free brekky would be handy, then FHR isn’t worth anything to you, etc etc. On the other hand I don’t value Priority Pass, others do. All nets off.

• Nice when a business expense gives you personal benefits … for the entire family!

• Whoops, your wording changed. Probably safer that way 🙂

8. Craig says:

For me, not worth it to keep. Worth it to use for two months, pay the pro-rata fee, collect the 30k avios, get hotel statuses for a full year, and do the same all over again 6 months later.

• Perfectly fine to do. Amex like it if you stay longer or forget. Similar to gym membership and when people dont bother going

9. do the supplementary card holders also get the car hire excess insurance benefit?

10. I’ve always cancelled the platinum card after I get the sign up bonus, however as I’ve had to hire a car, abroad, quite often recently we have decided to keep it.
    We also got my father a supplementary card for the same reason. His first use of it resulted in someone driving into the car and driving off in a car park, Amex paid out in full no issues.
    I then arranged for my wife to go to Spain, but she didn’t bother to check, what they charged her at the collection, so she paid the excess insurance (and not the excess) so wasted £125…….very frustrating………..
    The savings on car insurance have already paid the annual fee 🙂

• imbruce says:

Insuance4carhire.com is £49.00 for an annual policy

• Do you have to hire the car with the AMEX card?

• Mr Dee says:

Its handy but you can buy the policy for £79 for worldwide cover so you can that is the max you can really put against this perk.

• Mr Dee says:

*so that is the max you can really offset against this perk.

• mathzjl says:

agree, but it should be easier to claim with Amex. Amex has its own insurance company, and probably they don’t have too much boring paperwork to do.

• That may well be true mathzjl. Also, the £79 cover usually involves you payingteh excess and claimingit back whereas, perhaps, the AMEX cover doesn’t?
          Comes down to whether you consider that worth the extra £371.

Of course, you could always do what Rob recommends for medical insurance and take a a gamble that you won’t need it at all!

• There is no excess on the Amex car hire insurance, having claimed on it twice.

• mathzjl says:

Hi Alan,

if I remember correctly, the Amex insurance does have excess to pay, at least for some certain types of insurance such as item damage protection. Not sure about the travel insurance. It’s indeed hard to justify the expensive annual fee..So it’s ideal for those who don’t care this fee and travel a lot..

• “Amex has its own insurance company”

Amex certainly has NOT got its own insurance company. It uses AXA and underlying third party underwriters.

Nor do Amex make claims decisions.

11. Lloyd says:

2 quick questions about referrals I wonder if someone can clarify please:
    1) am I correct in thinking that by holding gold /platinum I can refer someone for ANY Amex issued card and get the 9000/18000 point referral, it doesn’t have to be a specific referral for gold/platinum?
    2) is it possible to refer myself for a BAPP card from my gold/platinum card and get the 9000/18000 point referral bonus?

• 1) It’s not absolutely every Amex, the eligible ones are displayed on the referral page (and a lot of them have annual fees which they don’t display until you click onto them!)

2) Some success reported but perhaps not a good idea to give it too much publicity.

• Lloyd says:

Thanks Anna, one other quick one, if I referred someone for the gold card and they took it, giving me the referral bonus, can I also refer them for the BAPP with the same link and get another referral bonus?

12. Monster Munch says:

Interesting that Amex have ‘asked’ for an article to be written.I don’t think this has happened before.

Is this because banner ads are less effective with so many people using Adblockers now ?

• Polly says:

Yes, was wondering why am seeing so many amex ads atm. Maybe their changes are causing people to cancel their amex cards more quickly. Not us lot, just the general public. Unless it’s spelled out for them, a card with a 450 fee can be intimidating. Equally wealthy friends think 195 is high. I have given up explaining it now to people. Find they can cope with the Gold one. Even when l mentioned the upgrade perk, they don’t get it. Amazes me. So, l don’t know how amex can get their message out there in a better way.

• There has been a step-change in the last 6 months or so on influencer budgets. Which is great if you’re us, because it is incremental revenue – if Amex books ads to the same value, we have to take down the Google ads so it isn’t as profitable. What I haven’t worked out is what we should be charging for them. The same as one day of banner ads? Two days? A week?

• Monster Munch says:

Go to be worth much more than a banner ad. It can’t be blocked by adblocker etc.and, presumably, is also emailed to all subscribers. Ka-ching!

Can’t say I like it but this is the world we live in. One can’t even buy a stamp nowadays without the cashier trying to up-sell you something.

13. simon says:

Plaza Premium Lounge in T5 at Heathrow. Anyone know if you can get in with the Platinum card if its just been cancelled? Is it just a quick flash or do they run it through a machine? ?

• Chris says:

IIRC from previous comments, it won’t work, the plat card must be active.

• Has to be live definitely.

• And, as I found this morning, they are very strict at checking the card name against a boarding pass.

• Kevin says:

And am I right in thinking each platinum cardholder can take in a guest?

• Apparently so. Kids are free in T5 PP anyway though (not sure what the cut-off age is, but there was a big sign outside today saying ‘free kids’ and I assume it wasn’t a giveaway).

• Memesweeper says:

Cut off age is 12

• Brian W says:

I’ve taken a guest into T5 Plaza Premium twice in the last three weeks on my Plat no problem and no additional charge.

• “Cut off age is 12”

Are they really going to check? If travelling domestic, they wouldn’t even have ID/passport.

When asked in such a situation, I always say my kid is x-1 … although I say it quietly, otherwise the wee blighter pipes up and corrects me!!

14. Interesting read, just car hire and travel insurance I normally pay would cover way over half of Plat fee, not to mention other benefits.
    However, just looked at the Plat website and I can see absolutely no mention of car hire excess cover – only discounts and status in Hertz and Avis. Is their marketing this bad (can someone point to the “fine print” / where is car hire excess insurance explicitly mentioned as benefit?), or does that benefit no longer apply to new cards?
    Also, one of big benefits I often use on my Gold card is that it gives you free extra driver with Hertz direct bookings (again, often pays for the card throughout the year as we rent a lot). Is this benefit still there for Platinum?
    Finally, someone in this thread mentioned getting points when upgrading to Plat from Gold. Is that official policy mentioned somewhere, or do you have to talk nicely to one of their advisors and hope they will grant it a good-will gesture?

Car rental insurance in place of the additional or optional insurances offered by car rental firms

YOUR BENEFITS
      The Car Rental Benefits under this Section provide cover in place
      of the additional or optional insurances offered by Your car rental
      companies such as:
      • Collision Damage Waiver (often referred to as CDW)
      • Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
      • Removal/reduction of excess (Super CDW/LDW)
      • Theft Protection (TP)
      • Top Up/ Supplemental Liability (SLI)
      • Personal Accident (PA) (See Personal Accident benefit,
      Section 1.7)
      Where mandatory rental insurance must be purchased

15. Has something changed with Amex Travel recently? Had a few issues with my Hilton status and they just kept passing messages to “back office”. I got the impression that most services were off-shored and the front line staff have very little control now, and just there to be a call handler, whereas they used to be able to deal with things themselves, in one call.

• Louie says:

I’ve been having problems too. Tried to sign up for Hilton status only to find that my account was already linked to a HHonors number which is nothing to do with me. Two months later and we don’t seem to be any further forward. How hard can it be just to change the number?

• Yes, same thing here, took a month. I eventually got an email from Hilton saying I had been upgraded to Gold thanks to my Barclays Hilton card, so I’m not convinced Amex managed to fix anything. The Hilton number on the Amex site belongs to someone else. Amex don’t know how to update it, saying they can’t see it as they don’t have my login details!

• Mzungu says:

Similar experience here – recently got Plat and supp for Mrs and me, registered for all the hotel statuses. So far still waiting for Shangri-La and Radisson. Called Amex to chase, they just said ‘wait for them to appear’ or words to that effect. Meanwhile we’re paying the fee, having hit the spend target, so we’re ready to cancel.

Very frustrating, doesn’t endear me to trying similar again.

• Hsergio10 says:

That why i always recommend my friends to register in all hotels loyalty programme (Hilton, radisson, jade, melia, Starwood) few months before applying/upgrading(from gold) to Platinum

The process is always smooth that way. I did it twice already in my churning.

Hope it helps

• Still waiting for my Starwood/Marriott status upgrades even though I had pre-registered with them.
          Hilton went through in a couple of hours.

• Alex B says:

Also had a lot of trouble, I’ve had the Platinum card for 5 months now and I still don’t have the Hilton Honours Gold Status.

All of the other hotel statuses posted within a few weeks of activation. I’ve contacted both AMEX and Hilton several times each, both blame the other and no one seems able to help.

Opened a complaint with AMEX UK Executive Customer Relations and they responded to say that my Hilton Account (Silver) was already “the highest level” and therefore couldn’t be upgraded. I assume that “the highest level” means Diamond, but I’m Silver so I don’t know what info they are looking at.

Have asked them to reopen the case and investigate further but not heard back for three weeks. Very frustrating indeed, considering canceling as Hilton is (mostly) what makes the fee worthwhile for me and I’m 5 months in with no benefit.

Given that AMEX have requested this article today I hope that someone is reading these comments as I don’t seem to be alone in this issue.

• Mzungu says:

Sounds like a common issue – my cynical head says that Amex are doing this deliberately to slow down churning 🙁

@Hsergio10 – I had already registered, should have mentioned this in my first post. It’s interesting that there seems to be a selection of different programmes that are causing the delay. If it was always the same one it might be easier to address. This also makes me wonder if there are some deliberate delaying tactics.

I think I’ll open a complaint as per Alex B – perhaps if a few more of us do we stand a slightly better chance of being noticed.

• Hsergio10 says:

Oh i see. I was just lucky then.

I agreed, if the numbers of complaints increased, Amex would be in a position to do something about it. If I remember, Amex get good numbers of Amex plat successful applications via Rob.

16. @Craig, when are you thinking of transferring them? There isn’t an exact date in/by August (don’t recall seeing one) when SPG points will be swept over to Marriott at the 1:3 ratio. After that they are at the lower level. I’m having the same dilemma over Amex SPG points being swept over to SPG before the cut off date.

• Craig says:

I’ll probably sweep them into my BA Avios account, I know it isn’t the most efficient use of them but I’ve just broken through half a million IHG points which I need to use first. This will then give me enough Avios for 2 CW returns.

17. A few comments have been removed where it was not in the best long term interest for them to remain ….

18. illul says:

It’s a shame the travel insurance rules out pre-existing conditions completely 🙁

19. Andrew_A says:

Re cancelling the supplementary card holder from a gold card before upgrading to platinum.
    Can this be done on line, or on chat, or does it require a phone call?
    Thanks

20. I used to churn from Gold to Platinum but it had a negative impact on my credit rating. Whilst my score was still 950+ in the experian credit report it noted I opened a lot of credit accounts (due to churning) therefore it may look like I am desperate for credit.

We are likely to be purchasing a house soon, so to avoid problems there, I now have BA PP and Amex Gold for over 6 months and not cancelling to avoid a negative view on my credit rating.

Does anyone else let this impact them, or do.you generally pay attention to the score itself?

• Genghis says:

I track our credit scores at all three data sources just to see if I should hold off doing stuff, but neither my wife or I applied for credit for about 8 months before we remortgaged recently. I may have been OK and others I’m sure have been OK but I didn’t want to risk anything. This hobby can be “profitable” but getting the right mortgage deal is much more important.

• I keep an eye on it. My wife and I take it in turns to have the churn card which helps space out dings on our credit reports. Also allows us to refer each other which gives a decent points boost. In our strategy I keep both our BA blue cards open and then just spend on these in between being eligible for sign up bonuses which goes towards the 241 voucher. If we get close to £10k on either blue card I upgrade to the BAPP, get the voucher and then downgrade again.

• Alex. says:

If I have the free gold charge card already do I have to wait 6 months to take out the Platinum and get the 30K points.

Also, how does the pro rata fee work, what is the minimum of the £450 you have to pay, could I in theory take care out on day 1, buy my annual season ticket day 2 and pay off charge card and cancel same day. Is pro rata refund done by number of days or months?

• You would need to cancel the gold and wait 6 months to get the Platinum bonus. The other option is to upgrade to Platinum, you get 20,000 points for spending £1000. In this case you may well find that the Platinum fee isn’t applied until the anniversary date of your gold card, so you could be in and out without paying anything in theory.

• Refund is based on rounded up months I think. You should think about upcoming trips where the insurance and lounge passes could be useful before cancelling.

• Genghis says:

But you may be charged the fee at end of month 1 or I’ve had it charged straight away. If you cancel before fee charged, no charge is due

• The score is worthless. There is no unified credit scoring system in the UK. Your experian score is an imaginary number that they assign to you — each lender will decide on their own.