Qatar

Bits: 20% off railcards, “100 Years of (BA) Aviation Posters”, 3000 IHG points with Hertz and attraction tickets

News in brief:

20% off Friends & Family Railcards

Until 22nd May, in time for the school holidays, you can save 20% on a Friends & Family Railcard.   You need to buy via the Railcards website here and use code FMH20.

The price will drop from £30 to £24.  The card will save you 33% of adult rail journeys in standard class and 60% off for accompanying children.

Newly published: “100 Years of Aviation Posters”

If like us you are a fan of aviation posters (the above one is hanging in our office, picked up at AntikBar on Kings Road who have a good selection), Paul Jarvis’ new book would make a nice addition to your coffee table.

100 Years of Aviation Posters is a collection of 200 posters from British Airways’ archives. It features posters from the early years up until today, giving an insight in how marketing and design has changed over the decade.

The book is currently available for £9.76 on Amazon (RRP £16.99).

3,000+ IHG points with Hertz bookings and activities

IHG Rewards Club has launched a bonus points promotion with Hertz car rentals and, more interestingly, activities.

IHG Trip Extras lets you book activities near your holiday or home destination whilst earning IHG points.  This might come in handy if you want to pre-book an attraction for a coming holiday, or even for something in your home town.  Currently you can earn 3,000 bonus IHG points on activities of $50+ (~£37).

The IHG Trip Extras booking page is here.

With Hertz car rentals – there is a link on the Trip Extras site – you can even earn more:

• Up to 35% savings
  • 3,000 IHG Rewards Club points, plus 500 points per day for Elite members and 125 points per day for Club members

We value 3,000 IHG points at £12 so this could be a good offer for some. It is not clear if the points count towards IHG status or not – we have no idea about the Trip Extras activity points, but points from Hertz have counted for status in the past.

TRAVEL CARD REVIEWS: Is Revolut any good, and what has changed recently?
What is the best replacement for the UK American Airlines AAdvantage credit card?
Some links on Head for Points pay us an affiliate commission. A list of our partners is here.

Comments

1. Sorry for O/T:
    Has anyone received IHG points after they’ve setup their Curve Card to charge to their Creation IHG card?

I haven’t receieved any points for my online (HMRC) transactions or a couple of cash withdrawals i made with my curve card over a month ago. I’m going to phone Creaction but wondering what the general situation is.

2. Admittedly not life changing news, but the IHG points earned via OpenTable do count towards status recognition.

3. OT/bits- advice on lounge booking please!
    During booking the No 1 lounge at Heathrow Terminal 3, where do you put Virgin flying club number to get the bonus miles? I clicked through from the link in the recent article to the virgin atlantic/No 1 page but cannot see where to add my FC number.
    Also, during booking it states that the person booking the lounge must attend so how is it possible to make separate bookings for each member of your party to get extra miles, as recommended?

• Lumma says:

You need to put your Virgin number in the first box on the page before it will let you progress any further.

For multiple bookings it’s just the same, I’ve only done this once and the points haven’t credited yet as it was quite recent (for either myself or the other person) so can’t say for certain that it works but it should do as it’s been stated on here that it does

• Found the FC number box when I clicked through from the VS site, couldn’t see it clicking through from here for some reason! Thank you

• That’s nonsense. I booked for Anika and a friend last year with no issues.

4. Petrol station (pay at pump) do not work at all (let alone gaining points) via Curve.
    Creation works with Curve

• @mkcol says:

My Curve card works fine in Pay at Pump.
      Try getting a replacement from them.

• Neil Donoghue says:

Only curve debit cards work at the pump! My old curve card never worked for me

• Both my partner’s and my curve debit cards don’t work at pay at pump stations. Also I cannot withdraw cash at nationwide cashpoints, all the others I’ve tried are fine though

• Bagoly says:

Presumably for each transaction the card provider adds together points from things to do with cardholder (particularly spending history) and things to do with transaction, and combinations (e.g. different country).
          If result is over some threshold, reject.
          One can see why pump payments would contribute high points for risk of transaction.

What I don’t know is for Curve payments: is this analysis is done by Curve themselves, or by the card one is charging to, in which case does the issuing bank know anything more than that the transaction is a charge from Curve?
          Perhaps by both?

5. Completely OT but does anyone have recommendations for a hotel for a four-night stay in HK with Amex Platinum (so FHR, Jade at Shangri-La, Gold at Conrad, etc)? Area’s no particular issue but keen to maximise the hotel benefits.

• Shangri la kowloon, or if on budget stay at courtyard by marriott

• If it before August I’d recommend finding a decent Marriott Group hotel with a lounge, since Marriott Gold (via SPG Gold) would get you guaranteed lounge access and guaranteed 4pm check-out. The other Amex hotel cards are not great on guaranteed benefits, except for Hilton’s free breakfast.

• The guarantee isn’t across all Group brands though, conference and mainly business hotels stand out in particular for saying they don’t come under the scheme. If it’s important to you always wise to email them first, don’t rely on Marriott’s website for this info.

• Unagi says:

I just returned from a stay at Hilton Garden Inn near Langham Place & Cordis. Received room upgrade to 20th floor harbour view room, free breakfast, 4pm late checkout & welcome drinks even though I did not book directly.

6. In a very sad turn of events, Paul Jarvis, the curator of the BA Heritage Centre (who writes these books) died on Wednesday this week, the day after it was published. The book is a beautiful and fitting legacy and I can’t recommend it highly enough, it’s a beautiful collection of material from the past 100 years of passenger flying.

7. Charlie says:

O/T – I, like many others received Spire Elite when the sign up bonus on the credit card counted towards status. That has to be three years ago (and I, like many others too, matched it to Hilton Diamond). I was expecting it to drop off to Platinum or lower at the end of March (all my stays were with Hilton and I qualified to Gold there) but it’s still Spite Elite at IHG and I only had 1 stay with IHG all last year. Has anyone else got the same? I still currently hold the IHG Premium card (which gives Platinum status) but am waiting for my free night to post before cancelling it.

I did upgrade to Ambassador for last year for a stay in Monterrey California, but have not renewed it this year.

Not complaining – just trying to work out if I’m an anomaly or if this is some way linked to the creation credit card.

• It’s more likely to be due to the fact that you renewed your AMB status – for a while this was extending Spire status to the 31/12 of the calendar year in which your AMB ran out – I think.

8. Flying Misfit says:

OT: received an email for Aer Club for bonus 500 Avios if I make a purchase via Irish Avios E-store. Being based in UK, may need to somehow switch settings to Ireland when on the avios homepage as it takes me to the UK site when logged in even though I have followed link in Aer Club email. I somewhat recall some others got a similar offer a few months ago for such a purchase on Avios e-store and some had tried making a purchase but were waiting to see if the bonus would post. Did anyone who tried get these bonus points eventually? Thanks

9. OT: i am having problems adding my Nectar membership number to my MR account. Any suggestions? Thanks

10. 1967Stuart says:

OT – I have an Hargreaves ISA account and see they accept master card for ISA top up. I assume I can use my IHG Creation MasterCard but will be transaction through the MasterCard be shown as a purchase or a finance transaction (i want to avoid paying any additional fees to Mastercard for that transaction as only doing it to get extra IHG reward points). Thanks

11. dicksbits says:

Can’t get code to work on National Rail cards

• bsuije says:

Just worked for me. I went through the link above, selected Friends and Family Railcard, logged in, added the code and then clicked on the “ADD” button to the side. Hope this helps!

12. dicksbits says:

Not a great day: Now the book you promoted is out of stock…

13. bsuije says:

With respect to railcards – if you have an Annual Gold Card (you get one if you buy an annual Oyster travel card), or know anyone who does have one, then you can purchase any railcard for £10 once during the validity of your Annual Gold Card. MoneySavingExpert has more details on this about halfway down the page here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/railcard .

The Annual Gold Card is a railcard of sorts already, but is only valid within a certain area (south of England, I think), so a normal railcard is handy if you plan to travel outside of this zone.

14. As it’s bits, my tingley spider sense is telling me to wish someone all the best with their new venture ….I understand that if correct they won’t thank me.

15. O/T. I may have just not noticed this before. But Natwest Rewards are offering Avios as a way to redeem. 1300 avios for £10, 2600 for £20 and 6500 for £50. We have a Natwest current account and the 2% on bills adds up nicely.

If I’ve not got my sums wrong (very possible) does this make their rewards mastercard a good deal now at 0.5% cash back then converted at 1.3 avios per pound? BA is an option when I log in but doesn’t appear when looking at the site without logging in.