Hilton

Bits: Primera Air’s Birmingham troubles, HFP competition winners, Hilton’s Bastille gig

News in brief:

Primera Air drops Birmingham to North America services

Primera Air’s attempts to operate low-cost transatlantic flights from the UK have not gone to plan, partly due to delays in receiving the planned aircraft.

A slug of short notice cancellations in Birmingham have now been announced:

Birmingham to Newark is cancelled from 20th June

Birmingham to Toronto, due to start on 23rd June, is cancelled

Birmingham to Boston, due to start on 22nd June, was cancelled a few weeks ago

You can read more on the Birmingham Mail site here.  It is worth noting that the airline says it had a 70% load factor on the Newark flight.  It tries to spin this as good but it is actually very poor, especially for a budget carrier which is reliant on volume.

Primera Air Birmingham cancellations

Competition winners

Over the last few weeks we’ve run two competitions.

Three lucky readers could each win a luxury polo shirt by Niccolò P.  We can now announce the winners!  The three winners of Niccolò P. polo shirts are

Matthew R.

Neil V.

Sam H.

Congratulations! All winners have been notified.

The winner of the 35,000 Avios from insurance brokers Alan Boswell Group will be announced shortly ….

Hilton Bastille gig

Finally, if you are going to the Hilton Honors / Bastille private gig at St Luke’s Old Street tomorrow night, Anika and I will both be there so do please say Hi if you see us.  We should also be able to introduce you to some of the Hilton Honors people if you’re keen.

Gone: no more ability to (quickly) find cheap BA Club World tickets via ITA Matrix
Virgin Flying Club launches new redemption seat sale on selected Economy routes

IHG
IHG

Comments

1. Faithy says:

How long until a 241 voucher posts? Where will i see it?
    Thanks

2. Nick M says:

Lounges at T5 without status… am I right in thinking that our options are Plaza Premium (accessible with Platinum card – do they swipe it?) and Aspire (accessible with Lounge Club via Amex Gold)?

We’ll have a 3.5 year old and 1 year old, are either of the lounges flexible on children’s ages? – don’t fancy paying £15 for the older one to have a small bowl of fruit!

• HAM76 says:

Plaza Premium swipes, but kids are officially free. Great lounge, better than GC and close to GF if you don‘t mind the bar service, the lack of a kids play area and the overall smaller size. We didn‘t bother with Galleries on the return and walked straight to PP with our five-year-old.

3. Tracy says:

O/T again, if I want to book a 241 to fly out on Friday 28th June 2019 on a morning flight, I understand it is midnight 355 days before I should see the flights available. So is that 11.59pm on 8th July 2019? As you can probably tell this will be my first 241 and I really want specific dates….

• Genghis says:

I normally work it out closer to the time by following say from a week before I think it is when exactly it will be. I CBA to count exactly. It’ll be at 1am BST, however (midnight GMT).

• Tracy says:

I’ll maybe start to track it soon then, will give me an idea how quick they go too….

• Genghis says:

Note that if v popular route (eg CPT), BA CS on the blower can hold them before they even become available to book online. Call at 12.55am BST.

• the real harry1 says:

I was always intrigued by the notice that if you require to book your BA tickets more than T-355, please contact CS

• Lev441 says:

@therealharry1 – I think this is just a generic message. When I’ve called to add the return from CPT in the past before 1am, I’ve been told it’s too early, not been released yet blablabla and maybe 20 seconds or so before midnight she checked again and held them, but there wasn’t much in it.

@genghis – have you had a different experience?

• Genghis says:

• Dean Murphy says:

But seconds matter on a popular route

• the real harry1 says:

Genghis are you also Dean Murphy? lol

4. Mark2 says:

OT
    Am I right in thinking that a can just book flights for others on Avios.com (soon) with no other action required please?

• the real harry1 says:

Sure, I booked tickets for my kids & wife without avios.com knowing we were connected as a family, might as well have been Mr Chips from the Chippy down the road or Jones the Postman

• the real harry1 says:

Not that I would go on holiday with those two reprobates

5. Darren says:

OT, Amex Platinum question –

When booking a FHR trip do you need the Platinum card at check in?

• the real harry1 says:

‘Per the T’s and C’s of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don’t notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.’

6. Robman says:

O/T help required from those of you more mathematically capable than I.
    Want to book a hotel for the Goodwood Festival of Speed and use IHG points to stay in Portsmouth HIX North. Normal value can be had as cheap as £70 per night, but on night of 14/7 is £300!
    Whats the best option for me please as I can’t work out whats the best deal?
    a) 20000 points
    b) 15000 points +£40
    c) 10000 points +£65
    p.s. I brought 120000 IHG points a little while back with a 100% bonus for £480, so 20000 points cost me approx £80.
    Grateful for any advice.

• Genghis says:

a

• I concur!

• For anyone interested in the Maths (sorry, occupational hazard), so that you can do this yourself, using Rob’s valuation of 0.4p (or £0.004) per IHG point (which is exactly what you paid)
          a) 20000 x 0.004 = £80
          b) 15000 x 0.004 + 40 = £100
          c) 10000 x 0.004 + 65 = £105

• the real harry1 says:

Not everybody paid 0.4p

• “so 20000 points cost me approx £80”
          The “you” was singular! 😉

7. Robman says:

Thanks everyone.

8. Andrew Carter says:

Out-there. Qn for you HFP gurus! A family member has sold up in the UK and moved to the continent. His/her UK Amex has expired and he/she has just re-applied, using my UK address. I know because the new BAPP card has arrived. He/she did not ask me for permission. Is this above board? If I live with it, are there any risks for me to be aware of? Thanks in advance Andrew

• the real harry1 says:

Not exactly good manners to do that unless you’re, like, close as brothers – wouldn’t bother me personally overmuch if a sibling did that – as to risks, provided there’s nothing in your name, just the other person using your address, I think the risks are small. So the family member has problems and ends up owing Amex £5000. No bailiff can take your goods (though thick ones might try, I suppose). Amex know that houses can be in multiple occupancy so won’t identify you as being the same person as the relation, ie you won’t get tarred with the same brush if things go wrong. Credit records belong to the person, not the address. It’s not identity theft, in other words.