Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

BIG NEWS: Get £300 of dining credit every year with the American Express Platinum card

American Express has launched a big new benefit today for holders of The Platinum Card£300 per year of restaurant credit.

This benefit is guaranteed to run for at least three years. It fundamentally changes the value calculation on whether you should get the card or not, especially when added to the £100 per year of Harvey Nichols credit launched earlier this year.

You could offset the £575 annual fee by £400 – £300 per year of dining credit and £100 per year of Harvey Nichols spend – which means that you are getting a lot of benefits for the balance of £175.

American Express Platinum £300 dining credit

How does the new American Express Platinum dining credit work?

It’s not quite as simple as it could be, if I’m honest. The credit is split into two parts:

• you get £150 per year of dining credit at selected UK restaurants
  • you get £150 equivalent per year of dining credit at selected overseas restaurants

Is there any onerous small print?

Not really:

• This is an ‘opt in’ offer. You MUST register before you start receiving cashback.
  • You do NOT have to book via any special channel – simply pay for your meal with The Platinum Card.
  • The offer is cumulative. You don’t need to spend the entire £150 in one meal or at the same restaurant.
  • The credit runs per calendar year, so you only have five months to spend your 2022 allocation of dining credit. This narrows your options slightly for spending the overseas component.
  • Unused credit does not carry over to the next calendar year
  • Supplementary cards are not eligible. Only the primary card receives the credit and payments must be made with the primary card.
  • The offer is guaranteed to run until the end of 2024, giving you the potential to earn £900 of cashback.
American Express Platinum £300 dining credit

What restaurants are taking part?

There are 1,400 participating restaurants in 20 countries.

To use the ‘international’ part of your credit, you need to visit:

• EUROPE: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden
  • ASIA / OCEANIA: Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand
  • AMERICAS: Canada, Mexico, United States

The UK allocation is fairly well spread throughout the country. Taking Birmingham, for example, there are four participating restaurants:

• Opheem
  • Simpsons
  • Tattu
  • The Ivy Temple Row

Whilst clearly you can’t please everyone, American Express does seem to have made an effort to provide a broad spread of restaurants. There are 13 towns and cities in the Netherlands with a participating restaurant, for example – it’s not just in Amsterdam.

How do I register?

Look in the ‘Offers’ section of your Platinum statement page, either online or in the app.

You must register TWICE – once for the UK offer and once for the international offer.

This is what you are looking for:

Amex dining credit registration

Conclusion

This is a very generous new benefit from American Express Platinum.

I think you can reasonably treat the £150 of UK credit as ‘free money’, given that there are over 160 restaurants taking part and you have a full 12 months in 2023 and 2024 to use it.

The £150 of international credit will be a little more restrictive to use and will require you to fit in meals around your travelling. On the other hand, it provides a great excuse to try out a local restaurant which you would probably have otherwise ignored. It could even be a good excuse to head over to Paris or Amsterdam for the day for a slap-up lunch.

As the credit is cumulative, there is no pressure for solo diners or couples to go unnecessarily crazy on the wine either. You can use the credit over multiple meals if you wish.

You can find out more about this new benefit, and see the list of participating restaurants, here.

Later this week I’ll do a broader look at Amex Platinum to see how this impacts the value of the overall package.

You can find out more about the card, and apply, here.

The Platinum Card from American Express

60,000 points, £200 travel credit and an unbeatable set of travel benefits – for a fee Read our full review

Comments (362)

• can says:

Spotted a typo: “ You can now offet the £575 annual fee”
    Should read “offset” I believe.

• Alan says:

Well done!

• AJA says:

However in fixing that typo there is now a superfluous “can” in the sentence:

“You can could offset the £575”

• ashic says:

Is this for all card members? I only see the £150 abroad offer in my offers.

• strickers says:

Overseas dining credit showing but not UK one?

• Mark says:

Same here. No UK offer listed, Only overseas. Link lands on the page linked in article showing both UK and overseas options, however T&Cs clearly state non UK locations only.

• Mark says:

UPDATE: added the offer manually using chat. At first the agent was not aware that there was a different offer for abroad, and UK restaurants. Finally reached another chat agent who after much explanation from my side realised the offers were different and added the second offer for UK dining.

• Emma says:

Just did this too. Offer added to my account quickly without any fuss. Two distinct offers now showing.

• twoclicks says:

Same for me

• Mmmbop says:

Are both now live? I have the international offer in my selection but not the UK one?

• Mike says:

Is this on the personal card only?
    Not showing in “offers” on my Business Platinum – a significant difference in the offering if that is the case

• CamFlyer says:

In parts of the UK, the Ivy family are the only option.

I wonder if this will be added to the IDC/IEC Platinum as well. Otherwise I might need to switch over (as this + Addison Lee + Harvey Nichols mean a somewhat better return on the annual fee).

• Kevin says:

Addison Lee is a joke as never able to book at anywhere, at anytime at all

• Alan says:

Agree – finally in London recently and could never book anything, has become and even more pointless benefit!

• Russell G says:

Yeah, does anyone know what the deal with this is? Has Addison Lee removed the ability to prebook taxis now or something as I can never find availability?

• Rob says:

They lost all their drivers during covid. Probably at 20% of so of their pre-covid capacity now.

• can says:

That doesn’t explain why/how they cannot hire the new ones on all these times. I have no sympathy for them.

• Tim says:

Told by an Addison Lee driver (managed to get my first one in three months AND was 35 minutes late) that part of the reason is to do with new TFL exam that all drivers (including Uber etc) need to pass including language exam which means many drivers have failed. Don’t know how true this is.

• apbj says:

Only one of their problems, I would think. The only time I managed to finally book an Addison Lee, for a short family airport trip, they turned up with a vehicle with two fewer seats than booked (and required) and simply refused to entertain any post-trip complaint. The driver was dreadful. Since the fare would have been the same had we not traveled in intense discomfort, I did not initiate a chargeback but I wouldn’t touch Addison Lee again with a sh1tty stick.

• James Harper says:

An Addison Lee driver told me recently that pre covid the company took 20% of the fare, now it’s 60% which is why there are next to no drivers. AL don’t seem to have recognised that they are killing their business rapidly. I’ve given up on them because even three months out, I can’t book to LHR at 04.00!

• Steve McCool says:

Well AmEx need to do something with new benefits because the existing ones are not really working that well. Been refused entry to lounges via priority pass three times in the last two weeks (including AMS and LGW) , no arrivals lounges open at Heathrow, tried four times in last two months to book Addison Lee to airport to be told they have not drivers available for pre booked cabs even with trying to book a week in advance.

• Frank says:

Indeed, Addy Lee is useless. We are having the same issue in E14

• Andrew J says:

Priority Pass and Addison Lee are now worthless benefits which is why they are launching this instead I suppose.

• SH says:

Haven’t been able to get an Addison Lee for months and months now, despite trying every time I am in London.

• Rob says:

We are still trying to find a reader who has been refused PP access outside the UK 🙂

• Blair Waldorf Salad says:

I got access in Tirana using PP. and it was comedic. First arrivals of the day and 2 crossaints laid out, no other breads/pastries. I asked would they be putting out more, the lounge dragon said no, and we could cut them to share if we liked.

• David says:

Aspire lounge, Amsterdam airport last Thursday morning. There was a sign up refusing entry to all cardholders (PP, Lounge club etc).

• H says:

Been refused twice this month at AMS – as stated below, sign-up saying go away.

• dougzz99 says:

Doubtless this is a particular problem in the UK, but then the card us issued in the UK. So it’s reasonable to assume that half the access attempts will be in the UK. And as per @David Amsterdam has become a problem with the BA lounge closure.

• Nate1309 says:

Faro should have been turning people away last week. It was full. As in no seats or standing room.

• Chris says:

There was a notice last Thursday outside the Aspire Lounge in AMS which states that they are not currently accepting PP and other cards at the moment. A passenger in front of me was top status with one airline and he was refused entry as he was not flying business.

• Alan says:

In common with other posts, I only have the international offer in my inbox! £150 of statement credits for overseas use. No mention of U.K. credits although U.K. restaurants are available in the drop down menu. Can I expect another offer or has someone messed up here?