I went to a dinner last week sponsored by Expedia which was designed to promote their new ‘Travel Trends’ report for 2024.
You can read the full report on the Expedia website here.
The one I found most interesting was the idea of a ‘destination dupe’. The idea, inspired by a TikTok trend, is that travellers are now searching out destinations which are SIMILAR to ones they would like to visit, but offer something a little different and – importantly – are more affordable.
Expedia looked at cities which had seen a large uptick in interest over recent months and highlighted the following as places you may want to consider:
- Taipei (dupe for Seoul, W Taiepei pictured above)
- Pattaya (dupe for Bangkok)
- Paros (dupe for Santorini)
- Curaçao (dupe for St. Martin)
- Perth (dupe for Sydney)
- Liverpool (dupe for London)
- Palermo (dupe for Lisbon)
- Quebec City (dupe for Geneva)
- Sapporo (dupe for Zermatt)
- Memphis (dupe for Nashville)
Liverpool is potentially a little odd – I feel the Expedia search boost for that may have been driven more by Eurovision than a desire to visit somewhere with the feel of London but cheaper!
If Taipei (instead of Seoul) appeals, your luck is in. Rhys has just returned from a visit and we’ll be bringing you some hotel reviews later this month.