Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Am I missing the point? Reply To: Am I missing the point?

Aston100 1,423 posts

You able to spend £3k really quickly in order to get the SUB and then cancel (or downgrade to the free card)? Thus minimising the monthly fee (It is charged monthly, not all up front).

So 30k Avios for 60 quid (ish) is the big pull if I am happy enough with the Virgin card instead. That is certainly a decent rate even for putting up with Barclays. I’ve no intention to switch current account to them. I tried the current account for a couple of months and discovered that for me it’s too painful for the handful of Avios.

To correct your arithmetic – you’re not getting 30k Avios for £60, as you could get 10k Avios with the free card. The £60 gets you the difference between the paid card and the free card, i.e. 20k Avios.

34.5k avios for spending £3k on the plus card.
If you can get it done in the first month, then it will cost you £20, else £40 or £60 in months 2 and 3.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.