Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors High value redemption due to a major event – can the hotel cancel? Reply To: High value redemption due to a major event – can the hotel cancel?

EdForPoints 8 posts

Hopefully you will be fine, but the fact that Hilton will pay the full rack rate to the owner is a guarantee of nothing around major events. The top reimbursement rate will be fixed even for major conventions or events but hotels will sell rooms at much higher than rack rate if someone comes along and asks even when they are full. You definitely don’t want to be checking in late.

Hotel owners and managers will tell you that people on free nights or points are often cheapskates who spend very little at any hotel facility so someone with no status will be prioritised if the hotel can see they will overall be the more valuable guest – eg you have pre-booked some service, restaurant etc. or are part of a group that has.

Thanks for the warning! I’ll aim to check in early.

Again, I don’t know the ins and outs of how the scheme works, but there is some contradictory information in this thread. Some saying the hotel will be handsomely compensated, and your response saying they’ll only get full rack rate. The cash rates this hotel is charging are really through the roof (some of the guesswork in this thread has been quite accurate!) so it does feel implausible that the hotel will not bear some of the brunt of my “cheap” redemption.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.