Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Avis Preferred President’s Club – Enrolment via The Platinum Card – Amex UK Reply To: Avis Preferred President’s Club – Enrolment via The Platinum Card – Amex UK

Luca M 391 posts

It’s somewhat annoying that you have to keep the Platinum Card as you payment method to maintain President’s Club status. Not sure it’s worth it when you end up paying the Amex 2.99% conversion fee on rentals abroad.

I have the Amex Platinum associated to my account (I know because when it got swiped for a in branch rental on the day (not pre booked) all my details came up including my APPC number and status) but have regularly used my Santander Zero and/or chase Debit Card to settle bills /make bookings. When booking pre-paid, I have always been charged in GBP anyway. On a recent booking I did on location in the US, I pondered using my Forex Free CC but then opted for the Amex Platinum just for extra safety in case I needed to make a claim on Amex car rental
Insurance.

In any case (to be fair I did this with Hertz but not Avis) I have some times asked to swap cards at Car return, from Amex to my Forex free card (I also do this regularly at check-outs in Foreign Hotels to get 1% cashback on my Chase DC)

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.