Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club How to earn the most amount of points Reply To: How to earn the most amount of points

Luca M 391 posts

Loads of sounds advice, but would like to add my 2 cents with regards to credit limit:

All credit providers have their ow criteria about Credit Limits, risk and how they look at existing income to debt ratio and Income to total “unsecured” credit lines.

I have enough personal experience as well as feedback from friends/family and reading on various forums to understand that whilst some credit institution may be “generally” more generous on credit limits given to new customers, if these same customers are around or more than 100% of their income in total credit limits from different cards from different issuers, they may get lower limits than reported.

I have had my main Amex card since I was at university and only working part time, and my Credit Limit built over time with automatic increases, but then it stopped and even upon request I was refused an increase (I was at 130% of my salary in total credit limits across my cards) and only after closing some accounts, wait few months, and applied again, I received the larger limit I needed for a luxury family holiday booking, so a word of caution there.

Another factor, albeit people reported different experiences, is that apparently Amex will some time agree to let you pre-load the card and spend the amount needed for a specific purchase, or at least will temporarily increase your limit if you can provide evidence of funding available to cover the excess.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.