Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Best non-Amex, non-Avios, non-airline credit card Reply To: Best non-Amex, non-Avios, non-airline credit card

SamG 1,674 posts

Also not credit but there’s Uphold card in the crypto world paying 2%/4% back..

Really depends what are you looking for?
Best return on money spend? Then probably a credit card with a long interest free purchase period 12+ months – spend £10k, put that money for a year into 6.2% saving account – pay off you card after a year.
Stoozing

On stoozing – does it have an impact on your credit rating as you are essentially carrying a balance. Affordability calculations now will take that into account. Also interest is subject to tax unless you have very little other interest income so might need to discount that 6.2%. Still a lot more than the 0.something percentage that the avios cards are equivalent of.

This is what I’m doing at the moment – Lloyds 0% purchase card and then “stoozing” the cash. Even after tax it’s worth it. My mortgage isn’t due for a few years, I always “tidy” up and simplify my finances in the prior few months to a possible application – pay off any 0% unless it’s got a long time to run, don’t do anything that could be seen as dodgy etc (although we are nowhere near max affordability which I suspect limits questioning, I got more questions from HSBC when I applied for the WE card than Natwest asked for my mortgage!)

Otherwise agree with @Rob – free Barclaycard. You might use the Avios for something and get good value, otherwise you can cash out to Sainsbury where I shop anyway

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.