Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Any BA Holidays long haul sweet spots for tier points? Reply To: Any BA Holidays long haul sweet spots for tier points?

NorthernLass 7,993 posts

I am still enjoying the glow! It’s all in August and September next year so should be very pleasant. Some complex itineraries will price up and some just won’t, go figure 🤷‍♀️

I think Scotland in the summer can be quite expensive due to things like the Edinburgh festival, plus UK domestic flights can often cost more than UK to Europe.

We were going to OPO anyway as we want to visit family in northern Spain and that’s the most convenient airport, plus we need a car, so that took care of 2 sectors plus the car element. Then decided to add in a city break somewhere we could use an expiring Ambassador free night.

I needed to connect from MAN for this, so it needed to be from LHR and preferably T5 for a short turnaround, which ruled out Malta and a couple of others in the further zones. I used the low fare finder for ideas/dates and settled on LYS. Date of travel makes a huge difference, e.g. it was half the price to depart on a Saturday that it was on the Friday. I just picked the cheapest Sat – Tues in August as we have good flexibility.

I thought this was as far as I could get (so 6 sectors), but had a go at adding GLA the day after we land at LGW from OPO and it worked, miraculously. I had to do a bit of playing as the system kept trying to send me to LCY or LHR but a specific search for LGW brought up the departure I wanted, as I will already be at LGW. My niece is at uni in Glasgow so I’ll probably stop a night or two and take her for a decent meal.

When I’ve decided I will book the cheapest GLA-LHR in CE (about £125), and get an avios economy flight to end at MAN. (MAN flights are a lot more than GLA, it sucks!)

A whole new world of possibilities awaits … 🤣

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.