Forums › Payment cards › American Express › Shall I apply for The Platinum Card, Barclays Avios Plus or both? › Reply To: Shall I apply for The Platinum Card, Barclays Avios Plus or both?
I used my first one for Athens CE which was helpful as Athens in the summer is expensive in economy, let alone business. I plan to use the next one on a 1-way CW ticket for two of us on the way back from NYC after a transatlantic cruise.
Compared to my use of the 2-4-1 those are both pretty niche for the kind of flying we normally do.
I still have the free Barclays card, but I also find that I can use Amex most places. Linking it to PayPal has been a route to using it online in places that don’t accept Amex directly.
If you are unlikely to put £20k through the standard card, could consider Curve Metal and use Fronted to get there, but then you have the Metal fees to consider.
For me, it boils down to how often I think I will do redemptions and with my Avios earn rate, one 2-4-1 per year is about right.
New to Head for Points?
Welcome! We’re the UK’s most-read source of business travel, Avios, frequent flyer and hotel loyalty news. Let us improve how you travel. Got any questions? Ask them in our forums.
Latest Forum Posts
- Alex G on Chat thread – Monday 26th February
- Scott on Why can I no longer refer people?
- nike85 on Chat thread – Sunday 25th February
- davet on Platinum card loyalty offer
- rob-london on Curve changes from November 10th
- Lady London on Concierge will no longer reserve restaurants
- NorthernLass on Platinum card loyalty offer
- can2 on Concierge will no longer reserve restaurants
- AL on Change in card benefits
- rwp88 on Concierge will no longer reserve restaurants
Check reward flight availability instantly for free!
Booking a luxury hotel?
Our luxury hotel booking service offers you GUARANTEED extra benefits over booking direct. Works with Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, The Ritz Carlton, St Regis and more. We've booked £1.7 million of rooms to date. Click for details.