Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Replacing Platinum benefits Reply To: Replacing Platinum benefits

jj 533 posts

None of these replies are on topic for the thread!

As the OP stated, there are loads of posts of ‘this is how much I saved’ elsewhere already. The topic here is how and how much to replace the some of the benefits.

The OP’s question is exactly what I attempted to answer.

The problem is that many of the benefits cannot be replaced. I don’t know of another financial product offering travel insurance that can be shared with your adult children and their families, so the only equivalent option is to buy insurance on the open market if you’re the kind of parent who takes your adult offspring on a fully-expensed holiday. Priority Pass lounges are typically much lower lower quality than the Centurion ones, so the realistic alternative is a restaurant, not a card offering lounge access. The Bicester benefits come packaged with some hotel rooms, but who will stay a needless overnight to get handsfree shopping and a 10% discount? Emyr offers some great hotel deals, but I have no idea who, if anyone, can match the periodic FHR exclusive rates. And I’ve excluded statement credits that feature on any of my other credit cards.

So, the alternative to Platinum is most commonly to pay your way, one transaction at a time.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.