Bits: My Flights app forced to close, £5 UberPOOL trips, Avios hotel deals

News in brief:

My Flights app forced to close

The popular My Flights app, which I have written about on HFP numerous times, has been forced to close.  Amadeus, the main global flight booking database, has blocked external access to its data – coincidentally on the same day that it launched a new version of its own Check My Trip app.

The problem with the Check My Trip app is that it is rubbish and has only a fraction of the functionality of My Flights.  You would get a notification from My Flights within a few hours of any change to your flight (seat number, aircraft type, cancellation, time change) and you would be at the front of the queue to get yourself rebooked.

If Amadeus had any sense it would have bought My Flights or at least copied its functionality.  What you have now is a toy town app for a market which consists solely of switched on, smart, business travellers.   I feel bad for Chris who had genuinely created something useful here.

My Flights

Ride with UberPOOL for just £5!

Uber is keen to push its UberPOOL service in Central London.  UberPOOL is where you agree to let another passenger heading in the same direction share your ride in return for a discount on the fee.  You may or may not consider this a great idea ….

On weeknights until 10th June, all UberPOOL rides between 5pm and midnight in Zone 1-2 are just £5.  This means that you could travel from Turnham Green to Finsbury Park for £5, a ride which will take well over an hour.

The good news is that if no-one else is heading in your direction, you still pay the UberPOOL price even though you rode alone. To activate this deal on your Uber account, go to promotions in your Uber app menu and enter the code POOLFIVER.

If you are not already an Uber member, this Head for Points sign-up link gets you a free ride worth £15.  Alternatively, just download the app and enter ‘headforpoints’ on the promotional code page.  Best not to waste your free ride on a £5 UberPOOL trip though ….

Uber 350

New Avios hotel deals

avios.com has launched a number of new hotel deals.  These are attractive offers and only need a handful of Avios points to book.  Here are a sample:

Carlton Hotel Budapest (4 star), from 2,150 Avios + £235 (Expedia £444)

Based on 3 nights with breakfast for 2 people in a standard double room

Pullman St Pancras London (4 star), from 7,700 Avios + £395  (Expedia £567)

Based on 3 nights with breakfast for 2 people in a classic king double room

InterContinental Vienna (5 star), from 2,750 Avios + £295  (Expedia £613)

Based on 3 nights with buffet breakfast for 2 people in a classic double room

Le Meridien Al Aqah Beach Resort Dubai (5 star) from 2,350 Avios + £255 (Expedia £406)

Based on 4 nights with breakfast for 2 people in a standard twin room

If you get these prices to work on a date that suits you, these don’t seem at all bad.  Book via the hotel redemption page at avios.com.

TopCashback stopping Tesco Clubcard (and on to Avios) as a payout option
Did you know iberia.com shows more Iberia business class Avios seats than ba.com?

Comments

1. That’s ridiculous from Amadeus. MyFlight was a brilliant app with all the functionality you could ask for. What a shame!

2. Just checked the AppStore and was pleased to see loads of negative reviews and the positive mentioning of the “original” My Flights app.

Amadeus gets shot down (like the Luftwaffe did*)

*As a German I feel entitled to make this comment. 😉

• That is so German to feel the need to add that, as a German, you are entitled to make the comment… :)))

3. Very disappointed at My Flight loss. Have sent an e mail to Amadeus. Be interesting to see the response. I would have been happy to pay a small annual fee to keep My Flight.

4. BlueHorizonUK says:

OT – Trying to use 2 2-for-1 vouchers and could have sworn that previously you could select both of them when putting in 4 people but now only letting me pick one voucher. Have I missed something, is this a call in task now?

Thanks

• dare I ask….as I am in a similar position (though not yet in a position to book)
      what route / class are you aiming for?
      I’ve no idea what will be plausible for a family of four…
      thanks

• BlueHorizonUK says:

Planning to use it to Muscat in Oman and trying for First one way and Business the other. There is availability on the days I want but no longer seems possible to pick two vouchers at the same time. Think its a call in job, hope they don’t charge me though!!

• Hi, thanks for the reply – though not sure you’ll see this reply?

I have two (me 1, wife 1) but in differing accounts, so I imagine its impossible for us to use 2 x 241 vouchers for family of 4 booking via ba.com. But will BA charge us for undertaking this scenario by telephone as it will be impossible to undertake online….that is the question!

I would be interested in hearing your own outcome (if you have time to reply)

Cheers

5. @alastairtravel says:

I don’t know the details of this specific case for My Flight, but Amadeus are open source. Perhaps the issue is more they now want to charge My Flight for access?

6. James Alexander says:

I used myflights and found it invaluable.
    Many thanks to its inventor Chris Schofield for his hard work – hopefully something good will come out of this for both Chris and we travellers!

7. My fav app gone! Check my trip? I might as well use piece of paper.

8. Still use Blackberry Travel … seems works OK. When was comparing was similar to TripIt … so there are alternatives

9. Billyk says:

Tried now 5 times to leave a review of check my trip and every time my nickname has been used what is going on?

10. Ian Booth says:

Very very very very sad news – I will boycott the new app forever

11. A sad day, a great app. I emailed the CEO, see if I get a reply

12. Lady London says:

I think one of the US major airlines started to pull these kind of tricks on Awardwallet a couple of years back. It didn’t last forever. But long enough to kill one or two nice apps that needed to access reservations. Wondering is this a form of predator practice that could be sued against?

I’ve been using MyFlights app since last December or so and it saved me quite a few times by always promptly notifying even the slightest change.

I guess Amadeus couldn’t take the pressure of a decent app being able to make more useful customer sense of their reservations than anything produced by Amadeus ever could. Shame on you Amadeus.

• That was actually worse. The airlines blocked AwardWallet due to ‘security concerns’, but those security concerns mysteriously vanished with some carriers when a pile of $ was handed over.

• Seems all may not be lost – Chris just posted a tentatively positive Facebook message about myflightsapp

13. Jovanna says:

Diamond Club discount ceased today on BA too…

14. Andrew C says:

Pleased to say it’s working for me. BA switched a plane for this Sunday and my seat was updated, notification was received automatically a couple of hours ago.

15. AndyGWP says:

Glad people posted this… I got weirded out a bit when I got a notification of a BA ticket (AA flight) change earlier :)

16. It is working again, temporary deal done with Amadeus