Bits: 9,000 Thistle hotel rooms in London for £90, Norwegian launching low-cost Gatwick to Vegas

News in brief:

£90 Thistle Hotel rooms in London – including breakfast

Thistle Hotels is running a four day promotion, starting today, to celebrate the 90th birthday of the Queen.

There are 9,000 rooms available at exactly £90 each including breakfast, spread over the eight Thistle hotels for stays until June 2017.  On peak dates a price of £90 will represent a decent saving.

You should be able to book via this special link from today.

Sister company Guoman Hotels, which runs The Tower by Tower Bridge amongst other hotels, is having a similar sale.  It is charging more but you get breakfast and a bottle of prosecco thrown in!  This deal is bookable until the end of February 2017.  Click here for details.

Norwegian 787

Norwegian launching Las Vegas from Gatwick

I haven’t covered budget long haul (at least from the UK) airline Norwegian for a while.  I looked at them when they launched their New York service and I wasn’t hugely impressed – the cost savings over BA were modest and the terrible flight times meant that you either lost sightseeing time or had to pay for another hotel night.

The company has continued to expand using a growing fleet of new Boeing 787-9 aircraft.  It now flies to Boston, New York, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Los Angeles and Oakland / San Francisco.

In October it will launch flights from Gatwick to Las Vegas.

I took another look.  3rd to 7th November, for example, is £380 return.  However, adding food (!) and a suitcase takes you to £480.  This compares well with Virgin Atlantic (£612) and BA (£719).

Premier class was £910.  This only comes with 46 inches of legroom – we’re not talking a flat bad here – but does include food, seat selection (which BA charges for), luggage, fast track security and lounge access.

This is not such a great deal, however, when you consider that – ex Dublin – you can buy ‘proper’ flat bed business class to Las Vegas for £1,175 on BA, Virgin or American.  Factor in the Avios or Virgin miles you would earn and Norwegian looks even poorer value.  For economy travel it might be worth a look.

If you’ve ever flown with Norwegian long-haul, please post below – I’d be interested to know how you found it.

How to match your existing hotel status to Club Carlson (Radisson, Park Inn, Park Plaza)
LAST CHANCE: Buy Hilton HHonors points with 100% bonus!

Comments

1. Genghis says:

OT – St Helena airport too windy to open

• I was invited down to the opening of that …. didn’t feel it was sufficiently worth the full week it would have taken to fly and (via South Africa) get back!

2. Don’t think you can argue with some of Norwegians fares…. 1399NOK (118GBP) one way from OSL-BKK next year….

The Norwegian version of their website, allows you to pay in NOK rather than GBP, which is cheaper.

Also some very cheap fares to the states if take a little detour and do an ex-CPH/OSL/ARN on the outbound. :-)

3. Totally OT but:
    Anyone know of a good place to kick back in Paris, along the lines of a lounge (a la Virgin Money, or the Eurostar lounge) – I’ve got a big space in the day before I meet someone and having lived there before I don’t have anything particular to do/see except sit and read + drink. If my Amex Plat got me in somewhere that’d be nice…

4. Rodger McSalty says:

Thanks for the heads up on the Thistle Deal – that’s come in very handy for a stay near Heathrow next month.

Worth noting that the Thistle Heathrow Deal includes not just breakfast, but also dinner and up to 8 days of car parking!

It’s mentioned on the promotional page, but not when you make the booking. It does however show clearly in the booking confirmation email.

• Amazing, I bet you could give the dinner a value of at least £15 and the parking is worth about £50+, if you call breakfast £10 then the room is only £15

• See if they will let you use the pods for free too!

• Where does it say all this is included? Have tried making a dummy booking, have found a room available for £90, no mention of dinner etc. It is offering me to add parking at £10 per night!

5. Sussex Bantam says:

Totally OT but I’m looking for some advice on car hire for an upcoming trip to Florida. I’ve booked an Avis car via BA with the flight booking. The voucher says CDW and ALI but there is no mention of the level of excess. I’m also not clear if I need LDW cover as well.

I must say I find car hire insurance completely confusing. Any advice ?

• Take out an Amex Plat for a month and forget about it!

It is a bit rubbish not giving the limits. Insurance4carhire is worth pricing up if you want peace of mind.

6. Heh heh bit of a Ryanair opening ceremony, never seen one lower budget before in my life lol

7. Okay, late to the party, but which Thistle is good for central london? Taking the Mrs to the city for a few days (fly in LGW, out LCY), and need a nice place.

Feel free to say none, and I will use my Spire/ Hilton Diamond to get something with them…

• The Guoman properties are higher quality in general so perhaps start with those (factoring in the value of free prosecco!) and then work back to the Thistle ones.

8. Thistle T5 booked for the evening prior to our trip to Iceland next year.
    £90 for the room including tax, dinner x 2, breakfast x 2, parking for 6 days (up to 8 days allowed). Incredible value! Thanks again Raffles.

9. Nick Haley says:

Hmm. On the date I need it’s £73 on hotels.com and i have no need for parking. So It’s a deal but only just. Good to check nonetheless.

10. Donald Russell steak deal https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/donald-russell-29
    With £10 off I got £73 of meat for £19. (You buy the Groupon, copy the Groupon code, open up the link to the steaks & paste in the code which reduces the £73 to zero with no postage).

11. This might appeal :) Tesco pet insurance £50 with £30 Tesco giftcard if you go for Extra or Premium insurance. My shorthair non-pedigree cat with £200 excess was £.50/month

12. Old reliable – Which? – £8.25 for a £1 trial

13. Genghis says:

Not too sure where you go that quote from? 50p a month? I tried to repeat and mine came out at £6.95 a month with a £200 excess for the Extra cover. Perhaps I live in a more dangerous area than you!

14. damned iPhone
    £5.50
    nearly everywhere’s more dangerous than where we live
    £6.95 still OK, assuming 6 months but I reckon somewhat fewer

15. and clubcard automatic discount helped

16. Isn’t the £10 off for new customers for first purchase? I saw it yesterday, but CBA to worry about setting up a new account.

17. Rcarpe2 says:

How long did you have to wait for Winner? I’ve not had my withdrawal auctioned nor has the cash back tracked after 4 days.