Bits: new Hilton in Edinburgh, Night Tube starts, HFP back on Apple News

News in brief:

Edinburgh gains a new Hilton

The Carlton Hotel in Edinburgh, previously a Barcelo, reopened as the Hilton Edinburgh Carlton hotel last week after a £17 million renovation.  It becomes the 16th Hilton Group property in Scotland.

The hotel has 211 rooms and there is an Executive Lounge.  This may make it an attractive option for anyone who took advantage of the recent Diamond status match as you would be guaranteed access.

The restaurant has been handed over to Marco Pierre White for a branch of his Steakhouse and Grill.

You can find out more on the Hilton website here.

Hilton Edinburgh Carlton open

The Night Tube launches this Friday

This Friday sees the partial launch of the long-delayed Night Tube project in London.

Trains will run all night on the entire length of the Victoria Line and on the Ealing Broadway to Loughton / Hainault section of the Central Line.

There will be a service every 10 minutes on both lines.  Day travel cards will continue to be valid until 04.29am.

Services on the Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines will start later in the year.

Hilton Edinburgh Carlton hotel opens

HFP back on Apple News

The Head for Points channel on Apple News was offline for a week for reasons I never understood.  I have now received an apology, amazingly, from Apple:

We apologize for the miscommunication and thank you for your patience.  This action was taken against your channel by mistake. We have resolved this issue and have re-enabled your channel, Head For Points.

and we are available again via this link.  We should be switching across to News Publisher formatting within the next few days.

Review of my airberlin 'super low tax' New York - Berlin Avios redemption
Bits: new BBC ATC series starts tonight, Virgin economy sale, 30 Avios per £1 on flowers!

1. I thought the point was to connect to Heathrow, particularly to enable early departures.

2. I wonder how the readers in the regions feel about that second piece of news

3. OT: IHG Accelerate is back from 6th September to 15th December. Full article tomorrow, you can check your personal target here.

• “Stay 2 time(s) using your corporate rate and earn 2,500 bonus points.” But I don’t have a corporate rate??
      Do stays using an IC ambassador weekend night voucher count?

• FlyingChris says:

I have the same target of 2 x corporate rate stays – yet no corporate rate is loaded into my account, nor any clue of what rate code it should be.

• Some hotels post them as 2 nights but no, it usually correctly posts as 1 qualifying night so would not count.

• I’ve registered for Accelerate. If I book a stay now (for post Sept 6th), will it be counted? Or do you actually have to book during the term of the offer?

Terms are ambiguous:

“Number of bonus points listed above will be awarded after the required number of Qualifying Stays have been booked at the required [“Your Rate”] rate and completed by the member between 6th September 2016 and 15th December 2016 (both dates inclusive)”

• I’ve made the Corporate Rate requirement by booking through our required corporate OTA (Capita Travel…)

4. OT. 25k sign up bonus back on BAPP

5. O/T Is there any bonus available if I upgrade Amex gold to platinum? Thanks

• Am I likely to get the bonus points if I use the link then?

• I know someone who didn’t. Most people who were not emailed by Amex but who still applied have been OK. However, I have not been plugging it because I know it is not guaranteed.

• Guesswho2000 says:

I wondered this, so emailed them – they confirmed via secure message that I would get the bonus, even though it doesn’t appear as a countdown bar in my online account (as the signup bonus for the gold, and the 10k annual bonus points did, etc.)

• I’ve just asked this (via Secure message) and was told that the promotion finished in early August but that if I upgrade and reply to the message the agent will add 20k manually (no mention of any spend requirement) – this seems to go against the understand on HFP over the last few days so perhaps going this way will generate the 20k immediately and then a further 20k automatically after £1k spend!

• So why don’t they take the link down… It seems people have been told different things about this promo.

6. Wally1976 says:

OT – any thoughts on if/when we may see a bonus on SPG Amex sign-up?

• As Marriott is likely to kill this card given their long term Visa deal, my money is on never :-)

• Wally1976 says:

Boo :-( . Thanks for the reply Rob

• Will miss this when it goes – was a great little churner and managed to get my wife and I some great stays, especially when it was doubled to 20k. Hoping it’ll be around for at least 6-12 months to get a few more in.

Any chance that given Marriott don’t seem to have a great CC presence here, that they might rebrand this and have a Marriott Amex, a bit like how the Costco one here is still Amex but is no longer so in the US?

7. It’s gone through so many different brandings – I can’t help but call it the “Carlton Highland Hotel” though.

Does it still have the the side entrance onto Jeffrey Street for the dash across to Waverley?

8. OT: the logic behind the new inflight BA starvation diet has now become clear, later this month they will be peddling cheap American confectionary so it’s a penny pinching-revenue raising double whammy. Being ‘British’ Airways you would have thought that they might at least have opted for Cadbury and used the opportunity to showcase some of our homegrown REGIONAL confectionary delights.

• Unfortunately, Kraft own Cadburys’s – they meddled with the creme egg chocolate last year, was a national scandal. But lots of small UK brands which they could showcase.

• Virgin is very good at working with small UK producers. When I was in Crawley last year there was a food fair going on where all the suppliers had set up stands so the staff could try out their products.

• Guesswho2000 says:

The little bags of crisps BA give out (Corkys?) are a regional British delight, they’re from Cambridgeshire…

9. rams1981 says:

you do know Cadburys is owned by Americans?!?!