BIG NEWS: Major changes at Virgin Flying Club

Virgin Atlantic announced major changes to Flying Club at 2pm today which, on the face of it, appear to move it closer to British Airways Executive Club in terms of earning and burning.

Unfortunately I am, literally, on a beach and Anika is, literally, getting onto a plane.  I am therefore leaving it to you lot to analyse 🙂

There will be a full article tomorrow.

You can see details of the changes to Virgin Flying Club by clicking here.

Here is the official Virgin statement:

“Our goal is to make Flying Club a key differentiator for Virgin Atlantic customers, through the value we offer with miles and by enhancing their Virgin Atlantic experience. As a long haul airline, we know that our members have different needs from a loyalty programme and, by reimagining each component of Flying Club, we ‘re making it more relevant and engaging.”

“The changes we’re making will mean that, whether a customer only travels long haul for a holiday every few years, or they travel frequently or on business, Flying Club will offer them great value and benefits that really make a difference to their experience with us. This is the first step in an exciting journey of change for Flying Club with many more enhancements in the works that we will be announcing through 2017.”

Credit & Charge Card Reviews (9): Flybe MasterCard
Should the collapsing £ make me re-assess my points valuations?

Comments

1. Sebastian says:

For me, whilst this isn’t pleasant news, it’s not as bad as the BA changes. To be honest, as I am someone who gets the PE upgrade X 2 once a year and then takes a UC return X 2 every 1.5/2 years, it’s kind of swings and roundabouts owing to the changes in miles in Economy. The only real killer for me is miles on economy fares (however, I am booking tickets next week, for Feb, if I pay by then will I still get the current rate?). That said, I am not certain with what is happening on the following:

1) Taxes
    2) Reward Saver deals

If anyone could clarify my questions it would be greatly appreciated!

2. We knew this was due at some stage and I for one am pleasantly surprised. If the availability is there the new PE rates are great value. It is a kick in the balls for anyone looking to redeem in UC but that was always on the cards after BA made their changes. Definitely not as bad as it could have been.

3. M Brown says:

I assume the 2 economy bookings I have already made for after this date will now only earn at the new lower rate?

4. Wetboy1uk says:

The change in miles doesnt reqlly bother me but seems like there will be a significant increaee in taxes – would thia be correct?

• Might mean the reasonable reward sales of 30% might be a thing of the past? Otherwise economy will be ridiculously cheap?

5. Will Squires says:

Are Hilton/IHG transfers unaffected?

6. James67 says:

I was excited to see household accounts until I read they were restricted to gold only.

7. Not the best news to get today…

My questions are:

1) Will the regular reward seat sales continue? I’ve booked all my reward redemptions in the sales in the past couple of years?
    2) Wonder if there will be changes on the way for the flying club credit cards. Would be nice if they changed the PE upgrade voucher to an any class voucher like the Lloyds Avios card.
    3) If I have flights booked now at current prices, will I need to pay the new redemption prices if I wanted to change the dates?
    4) Any news on the other ‘enhancements’?

8. TGLoyalty says:

Sticking with virgin

Virgin Red advertised a 10% bonus for 1st time Tesco converters anyone whose converted before do any and get a bonus?

• Not sure. Even the app bonus was targeted – I didn’t have it. We need to wait another week I think until Clubcard vouchers go out.

• Tesco Vouchers in my account already…. no sign of any bonus across Virgin/BA/Avios

• Apparently…’The promotion was between 01st August – 16th Sep. We had no other Tesco promotion after, I’m sorry to disappoint you.’

I thought the Virgin Red promotion ran until the end of October…but can’t find any record of it now.

9. Is it saying that we can book at the current rates until 12 November (to fly later) or only fly at the current rates until 12 November? (I think it says the changes are introduced then?)

10. Paul Irving says:

What would happen if I book a flight now, then move the dates after 13th November, would I need to pay the new amount of miles?

11. Thomas Lewis says:

I’ve been saving my points for ages with a view to using them next year for LA for two people.

Currently at 125k point ……. unsure if this actually helps me or not but i really hope they do continue with the reward seat sales!!