Get 25% off ALL Iberia Avios redemptions! eg NYC Business for 51,000 + £159

Iberia Plus is, apparently, 25 years old. To celebrate, Iberia has launched a genuinely valuable promotion.

Until 11th April, you will receive 25% off all Iberia Plus Avios redemptions, in all classes.

You must fly between 27st March 2017 and 15th June and between 1st October and 15th December.  There are some extra black-out dates which are the ‘peak’ dates in the Iberia Plus redemption calendar which you can see here.

These deals are only valid for flights on Iberia, Iberia Express and Air Nostrum.

iberia-avios

There are some deals to be had here.  More spectacularly to New York, Boston and other East Coast US cities.

For odd reasons, Iberia’s reward chart differs from the British Airways chart when it comes to the pricing zone which covers the US East Coast.

On off peak dates, Business Class redemptions to New York from Madrid only require 68,000 Avios return, compared to 100,000 Avios with British Airways from London.

Under this promotion, Madrid to New York, business class, is just 51,000 Avios + £159 of taxes and charges.

You need to get to Madrid to start and finish your trip, of course.  That should be a relatively modest cost.  The Iberia flights depart at 5pm and 9pm so you won’t need to stay in Madrid overnight.

There are plenty of other good deals too.  Madrid to Tokyo in Business Class, for example, is 89,300 Avios + £162.  This compares with a stunning 150,000 Avios + £539 required for an off-peak BA ticket.

Iberia’s business class is very good

Iberia has a fully-flat business class seat which is superior to Club World.  All seats have direct aisle access for a start.  I tested it out on a Madrid to Heathrow flight a couple of years ago – here is my review.

Iberia business class

Iberia has recently launched Premium Economy

We didn’t cover the announcement much on HFP, but Iberia has recently launched a Premium Economy product which is included in this sale:

Iberia premium economy

You can find out more on the Iberia website here.

And another benefit …..

Iberia has different peak and off-peak dates to British Airways.  Take October half-term, for example.  This is a ‘peak week’ on British Airways and so redemptions cost more.  On Iberia, it is not a peak week.  This makes the difference in pricing between BA and Iberia even starker.

For clarity ….

To get this 25% reduction, you MUST book via the Iberia Plus website.  You will not get the discount if you try to book these Iberia flights via ba.com.

You can transfer Avios between ba.com or avios.com and iberia.com by using ‘Combine My Avios’ on any of the three websites.  Remember that moving to Iberia from BA is very buggy – but 99% of the time it works if you go BA to avios.com and then avios.com to Iberia.

However, you CANNOT transfer into Iberia Plus unless your Iberia account is 90 days old AND has earned at least 1 Avios point.  The easiest way to do this is transfer 1,000 Amex Membership Rewards points over.

(If you do not already have an active Iberia Plus account then you can’t take part in this promotion.  This is why I continually stress on HFP that you should have an active Iberia Plus account even if you have no immediate plans for it.  You can then jump in when offers like this come along.)

Remember that you should NOT include a connecting flight from London on the same ticket unless you want to incur long-haul Air Passenger Duty.  On the other hand, if you book your flights on separate tickets you will have to collect your luggage in Madrid and check it in again.

If you want to know more about redeeming on Iberia, take a look at our ‘Avios Redemption University’ article here.  That article also includes a slightly-out-of-date route list.

Review of the Aspire and Aspire Plus Lounges at Newcastle Airport
Bits: photos of the new BA Lounge in Boston, Flybe lands at Heathrow

Comments

1. Can I just ask a question; i haven’t taken EX-EU flights before. If I were, as an example, to take this deal to fly say from Madrid to NY. What would the exact route be? Am I right to assume it will looking like this:

(RFS) LDN > MAD > (IB+) NYC > (IB+) MAD > (RFS) LDN?

• Genghis says:

I guess so. Or you could pay cash and fly a LCC to MAD. Bear in mind the lack of protection if you’re delayed.

• Whats the best way of reducing the risk in this type of ‘self connecting’ situation.. ie how many hours would you say between connecting flights with checked in luggage? I’m doing similar with airberlin ex Berlin but not sure if 4 hours is enough..

• Pablo i think in general it comes down to how risk averse you are. My aim is to try and get the long haul flight in the morning and get the short segment the night before. Im sure 9/10 times 4h is more than enough for most airports…. but i am risk averse about these things and dont wanna be in a situation where my first leg has a huge delay and im screwed.
          On my next trip im returning to zurich at 8am… im gonna book my final leg back to london around 2-3pm…
          But everyone will have differing limits i feel

• Yes, but separate tickets/bookings for the LDN-MAD return.

2. Matthew says:

Don’t forget the other Iberia ‘East’ bargain to Shanghai.

MAD to PVG rtn in business is 76,500 Avios plus £154.50.

3. Slightly pedantic but I think that “You must fly between 27st March 2017 and 15th June and between 1st October and 15th December.” would be clearer with an *or*

• It would, I agree. But complain to IB because that is a cut and paste 🙂

• Could technically be correct if it’s possible to outbound in one time period and inbound in the other.

4. So if you open an IB+ account today, you can’t then use the Prive-Ventee site to add Avios to your IB+ account ?

Appreciate you couldn’t transfer from BA to IB+ but you can choose to have the Avios put into a BA or IB account on the Prive-Ventee site.

OR does buying these Avios through Prive-Ventee count as a ‘transfer’ Into an Iberia account ?!

5. Do Iberia Express and Air Nostrum flights booked for cash count towards the four flights necessary to obtain BA Silver status (in addition to the 600 tier points)?

6. Right, that’s it. I’ve ignored it for long enough.

I’m off to make an Iberia Plus account.

Any other ways of getting some Avios in there without a MR account (I only have the BA Amex now). Perhaps an equivalent of Gate365?

7. I have an IB account but haven’t used them before…is there a way of searching reward flight availability like you can with BA?

8. Just a big thank you to Rob really – managed to get 2 x business return Madrid to Havana this coming November for less than 130,000 avios (and less than £300 taxes for both). As we were already looking to go, probably next year though, this has been a fantastic result. Many thanks.

• +1 I did the same last month, booked about October, so not too far in advance. Thanks Rob!
      The Iberia business seat is good, although if you want to sit next to your partner the only rows 1,3 and 5 are close together – 2 & 4 are on the outer edges, so you sit a long way apart (might suit some folks!).

9. So basically this deal is N/A for anyone that hadn’t opened an Iberia account already?

• Genghis says:

Not necessarily. E.g. you should be able to open an IB+ account and then transfer in from Amex within a few days prior to the 11 April deadline.

• the reral harry1 says:

Depends if you have 1000 MR points handy

• Genghis says:

Does it not depend if you have 51k MRs handy as you cannot transfer avios (from BAEC / avios.com) into a less than 90 day old IB+ acct?

• You still need to wait 90 days though before the account is ‘active’, in theory. The account must be 90 days old AND have had some activity. The rule is there primarily to stop you doing what you want to do!

• Where did you read the 90 day rule?

• Here’s the thing. I don’t think it has ever been written down anywhere. It is just one of those things that has existed since Avios was launched in 2011. If it was scrapped we wouldn’t know about it either until people suddenly found they could move points without problems.

• Genghis says:

I thought that was just for avios transfers?

10. Sorry to go off subject but just need a little advice. I saw the hiltons bonus point deal where you get a 100% bonus when buying points. My plan was to buy 80000 with the bonus getting 160000 in total so I can top upto 190000 for a 5 night stay in Orlando using the pay with points get the 5th night free. Without the 5th night discounted it’s 235000 points and I was told that I needed this amount to have the option of paying 190000 for the stay. Is this correct as I won’t get anywhere near that if I buy the points.
    Many thanks for the advice

• Genghis says:

I’m not too sure what it is you’re asking?

• Whether to book the 5 nights paying with points I need 190000 points(5th night free rate) or whether I need to have 235000 (non deal rate) in my account to have access to the 190000 rate. This is how the online chat person explained it to me but seems a bit daft as would only be spending 190000.

• You need to compare the costs of what the 80k points are going to cost you, and compare that to the hotels costs (+any taxes they may charge) to see what will work out cheaper.

Remember you will need to be at least a silver honors member to get the 5th night free. Looks like you also need an extra 30k points to get yourself to 190k.

• Costs work out better with the points. But only if I need 190000 in the account rather than 235000. The problem is I don’t want to buy the 160000 if I can’t use them.

• Genghis says:

Have you factored in the value of the points you would earn on a cash booking?

• Thats alot of points for Orlando. Are you sure you are getting good value.

• You are right it is a hell of a lot of points. With the points it works out about $200 cheaper for the 5 nights but this doesn’t take into account the 18000 or so points that I would get for the booking assuming there are no other offers that pop up.

• I think he is asking do you need a the full 5 nights points in your account to book, or do you just need 4 (and then use 4 for 5) Anon / Michael any ideas?

• You only need the post-deal amount of points – they automatically adjust the per-night rate to take account of the 5:4 deal so the total will be correct when you come to pay.

As others have said though, make sure this represents good VfM, usually some decent deals around in Orlando.

• The price it shows if you search for 5 nights is the discounted rate including the free night.

• Peter K says:

Further to earlier comments. If you have status (silver and above) then you only need the points required for the 4 nights to book all 5.
      So if it is say 47500 for one night then you only need to have 190k points to book all 5 nights. It will show up as 38k a night when you look at the details (ie 190/5).

Make sure your don’t make the mistake I did once of looking at the average price for 5 nights (which already has taken into the free night) and then taking a further 20% off!

11. Would buying Iberia miles count as ‘earned’ points? So I can transfer Avios from my BA account to Iberia account. My Iberia account is older than 90 days, but I’ve never earned any points with it.

• I know at one stage an inactive Iberia account could not buy miles either. You can try – if it works then, yes, the account will be considered active and you can transfer in.

12. Lesson learned. This might have worked well for my mandatory trip to Japan in May. I even had to take an Iberia flight for work recently…

13. Dominic says:

Aaaarrgghhh. Having accumulated about 15k avois in Iberia, I now discover you cannot transfer in/out with your BA account… if it is a Household Account. Very very frustrating. What can I do with 15K Iberia points in isolation?

14. Ayrshire68 says:

I have just opened Iberia plus account tonight. I have 4 flights booked next week (1 ticket) and 4 flights the wk after (1 ticket) all with BA, I have no status with BA these will be my first flights with them. I’ve noticed that the last flight of these 8 (LHR to GLA) actually has an Iberia flight number, can I / Should I change the frequent flyer number to the Iberia one I was given tonight to activate the Iberia account ? Ie would this then let me book one of the avios sale fares ?

Thanks

15. Running the NY Marathon at the start of November and this deal looks like an excellent way to get across.

I can’t find any Business availability for any dates though. Although Premium Economy in both directions for 33,000 + £142 still seems like a steal.