How to collect Avios with Shell Drivers Club – and get triple Avios this Summer

Shell Drivers Club is the loyalty scheme for Shell garages in the UK.  Joining is simple – pick up a card at a Shell station when filling up and register it online.

You earn 100 Avios just for registering your card so it is worth doing this even if you switch to a different reward later.

Shell Drivers Club 350

Full details can be found at the Shell Drivers Club website here.

The scheme is simple – you earn 1 Shell point for every litre of petrol you buy, and 2 points = 1 Avios. As well as Avios, 500 points can be turned into £2.50 of Shell vouchers or £2.50 of Waitrose vouchers. The benefit of taking Avios is that Shell converts (once a quarter) your points in multiples of 20 (ie 10 Avios) with no minimum, unlike the 500 point minimum for other rewards.

A special deal for Summer

Effective immediately and running until 7th July, you can collect triple Avios on Shell V-Power Unleaded or Shell V-Power Diesel performance fuel.

In order to get the bonus, Avios Travel Rewards Programme or British Airways Executive Club must have been selected as your Shell Drivers Club reward prior to each purchase.   If you need to update your reward information, log in to www.shellsmart.com and select the reward of your choice in the personal details section.

The terms and conditions of this promotion can be found here.

Is Shell a worthwhile way of collecting Avios?

If we ignore the Summer promotion, I would say ‘not necessarily’.  There are two reasons for this.

The first reasons it that, if you buy enough Shell fuel to get to 500 points on a regular basis, you will effectively be ‘paying’ 1p per Avios (since 500 points is worth 250 Avios or £2.50 in Shell or Waitrose vouchers). That is a bad deal as far as I am concerned although I know some people are happy to pay 1p per point.

Secondly, I would not switch from a cheaper garage to Shell purely for the Avios unless my employer was paying the bill.  Assuming £1 per litre, you are spending £500 on petrol to get just £2.50 or 250 Avios back!  That is a return of just 0.5%.

With this Summer promotion, however, Avios looks like a better deal.  It is worth switching away from taking Shell or Waitrose vouchers and into Avios if you can earn triple Avios on your fuel spending until 7th July.

Even if your employer is paying, Tesco offers a better reward structure as I explained in this article on earning Avios when buying petrol.

Transferring hotel points to airline miles ... when is it worth it?
Bits: new Iberia wine deal for 500 Avios, decent Miles & More / Hertz promo

Comments

1. Frenske says:

Shell also has regular 100 bonus points – 50 Avios – for filling up your tank. Without the bonus I normally go to nearby Tesco petrol station which is usually 1-2p cheaper.

• Ditto! I ‘activate’ the 100 bonus Shell Points on the Shell Drivers Club app every time it appears, which is around once every 7-10 days. I then purchase the minimum 25 litres to achieve the 100 points.

Most work days i grab a Deli2Go sandwich at the local Shell garage, which gives me 50 Shell Points (25 Avios) as well.

• Andrew says:

Ditto – most weeks it appears on Tuesday afternoons and is valid (all-day) Tuesday to Monday. Unless there’s been a bank holiday Monday in which case it appears on the app on Wednesday afternoon and is valid (all-day) Wednesday to Monday.

Fill requirements for the 100 points vary, too. Mine has been as high as 25 litres but for the last 6 months it’s been 15.

The app does make the maths more appealing as currently for 15 litres of vpower I’m getting
        ((15 x 6 points) + 100 points) / 2 Avios conversion = 95 Avios, plus the Avios for paying by Amex.
        Which is okay if you want/need(?) vpower, but otherwise the sums potentially shouldn’t sway you from your usual fuel option.

• Lady London says:

I don’t buy much petrol these days. I was getting bonus offers of decent points for about £10 fillup. Then I did a long trip and filled up once for over £40. Since then now they want £45 or £40 for same bonus as theywere offering for a £10 fillip before. Had 2 or 3 cycles of this now over a long period. I will only put V-Power in my vehicles old or new. There is an obvious strategy to combat this

2. I now use Costco – currently paying 109.9 for a litre of premium diesel.

Now get around 15% more from my tank

• Agree – even with Tesco MC and Virgin Amex giving me 4.5 miles per pound the 3-4p difference at Costco in price in often worth more.

3. The triple points promotion only applies to Shell V-Power fuels. These are typically 8-10p/litre more expensive than their standard fuels. Unless you think the benefits justify the high price, it’s a very costly way of earning points/Avios.

• Michael says:

Yes that’s what I thought too. Unless you are buying V Power regularly you are paying 10p/Avios under this deal

• Andy S says:

I see it as a good thing, double points for just about 10% extra payment. Besides I do seem to get better MPG with the v-power fuel so it’s not so much extra cost. If only the points would post (see later comment!)

4. Esso around me have been running double clubcard points

5. It was still a no-brainer to use Tesco to fill up when I had a company supplied All-Star card.

Now they give us Shell cards so we have to fill up there – the points ‘rewarded’ really are measly even with the regular bonuses.

• When i had a Shell card it could also be used at Esso, always thought it a wind up until i tried it and it worked!

6. Alex W says:

I filled up at Tesco the other day. Used tesco debit card as Clubcard and paid in store with Amex. Got a paltry number of Clubcard points. Do you have to pay at pump to make this trick work?

• Trinovant says:

I’m sure rob will know but wouldn’t using Tesco credit card as a club card then paying with Tesco debit card yield more avios than paying with Amex given the 1club card point per pound with a Tesco bank account?

• Alex W says:

Or the other way round? Not sure if that works but could be good if it does. Using virgin black Amex though there’s not much difference as it’s 2 miles per £ and you don’t have to wait several months to get vouchers etc.

• it used to work as use the Tesco credit card as a clubcard then use BAPP to pay. Staff seemed used to it. Would good if someone could confirm how it now works with the various Tesco credit cards, i.e. avios earning rate on the premium card…

• I’ve been doing this for years thanks for Head for Points.

I’ve just checked my Clubcard statement to see if it still works and it does. I’ve been to 4 Tesco filling stations in the last week and got 1 clubcard point per £1 spent on fuel using my Tesco Credit Card as a Clubcard. (I then use my BAPP to pay).

• Mzungu says:

Can someone confirm if this only works for fuel please? I’ve been doing this for fuel and in store :-(

…and if so, any idea why there’s a difference?

• Only for fuel. No-one knows why but it is an ‘official’ benefit and is discussed on the Tesco Bank site.

• Alex W says:

Per my original post this didn’t worked for me in store recently. I have e tried pay at pump before and it worked.

• Yeah I’ve tried it quite a few times in-store but definitely only for fuel. In-store you have to actually pay with the Tesco debit/credit card to get the benefit.

• Can anyone confirm the points earned for fuel with the Premium card?

• Premium card works also – 1 cc for the CC spend and 1 cc for using it as a Clubcard. When my premium CC comes up for 1 st anniversary in Oct I will cancel and revert to the debit card which will give the same number of,points for petrol and in store.

• ok, so you don’t get extra points on fuel spend than when compared to the free card? Was considering the premium card but knowing i wasn’t going to put £5k per year through it, i had read elsewhere than it earned even more CC points on fuel spend than the free one.

• I thought it was just extra Clubcard points for using ANY Tesco debit/credit card, not specifically more for the premium one?

• Alan – i read an old HfP comment by someone who stated the Premium credit card earned even more club card points on fuel spend than the standard credit card. Wondering if that really was the case. IIRC they stated it earned 8 club card points per £ fuel spend (great if correct).

btw Costco fuel station to open in Edinburgh.

• Ahh OK, interesting (on both counts!). Have heard CostCo good for tyres, I take it they have a good name for competitive fuel prices too?

• I think the fuel is 3 or 4p per litre cheaper than anywhere else.

The Tesco Premium card isn’t of interest to me as i won’t spend £5k per year in Tesco to get the bonus points and justify the fee. But if it were to earn even more club card points on fuel it could be worth considering. As mentioned it was a comment on an old HfP article, but the earning rate seemed too good to be true, 8 avios per £ of fuel was quoted.

• Just double checked my last statement and it’s definitely 1 cc for using the credit card as a Clubcard and 1 cc for the credit card spend for fuel. The premium credit card gives you cc pts for credit card spend for buying gift cards so you if buy a lot of gift cards over the year it can be worth having – you don’t earn any cc pts on the Clubcard but definitely on the credit card spend and it goes towards the £5000 spend target – which I have in writing from Tesco. I have just a few hundred £ left to spend then I will hit the target and get the bonus 5000 pts.

• TGLoyalty says:

Use the debit card as both a Clubcard and a payment card you’ll get more Avios than any AMEX

7. Andy S says:

I find this a very unreliable system. Often points don’t actually post, and the last time I went to the nearby shell it said “points are not eligible on this transaction” on the receipt, despite using the same pump and same payment card as the time before when it did work. I’ve emailed their support but had no response.

8. Slightly OT, but BP is doing 10 Nectar points per litre on Ultimate from Friday to Monday.

9. wayne sam says:

Another consideration here, is Shell often offer a 100 point bonus for fuelling with them. When taken with triple points for v power, 20 litre fill will earn 160 points, = 80 #avios plus they accept amex. So more earning potential. Well that’s how I do it. I also have some loyalty to my local Shell station winning big Avios with them a while ago.

10. In the days when I passed a Shell garage at reasonable price on the way to work every day, I would use their fuel for the regular bonus points – including when they introduced the pay by mobile app, which was mostly a PITA. As I now walk to work and have done 2k miles in the last 6 months, I mostly only get Shell points on my coffee when I’m visiting the parentals. Ma gave me a voucher for 5p/l off at Morrisons on Sunday, so that’s my petrol for the month sorted.

11. OT regarding the Sunday Times Travel mag – so far I think I have received 10 issues, if I cancel the Direct Debit now will I still receive the last 2 issues? Thanks.

• Yes, I cancelled after the Avios posted and the mags still come through fine each month.

• Great thanks Alan!

• Canuck says:

I paid by credit card – will it auto renew on that too or do I need to explicitly cancel?

• I think it was a one-off but was so long ago I can’t quite remember! They shouldn’t just auto-renew without sending you any communication about it though. Only way to be sure would be to call them I guess.

12. OT – So did anyone have any joy with getting a new gold to platinum upgrade link ?

• Alex W says:

The link didn’t work for me but I just secure messaged them and they honoured it.

• Moktar says:

Did you mention about the link and they matched 20k on 1k spend? Curious because I am planning to upgrade to plat this month.

• Three of us have reported no luck on Amex thread from yesterday.

13. HayMow says:

I buy very little fuel and have a Shell a few hundred metres away so just stick with them – I calculated to drive to the nearest Tesco wasn’t worth the petrol cost for the saving etc. HOWEVER, where I think Shell can come in handy despite the Avios earn rate, is that I have the points auto-converted to Avios.com which keeps activity on that account to keep it open (which I don’t need for BAEC as I direct most of my Avios earning there anyway).