Bits: big BA delays at JFK T7 security until next year, win a volunteering holiday with Avios

News in brief:

Delays at JFK Terminal 7 security for British Airways passengers

Passengers at New York JFK Terminal 7 – the home of British Airways – have to expect l-o-n-g delays getting through security from 22nd June until the end of January 2018.

This is due to BA’s £52 million investment to improve JFK’s Terminal 7 – see the image below for an example.

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus passengers who have scheduled flights after 5pm will be affected.  It does not impact the private security channel used by Club World and First Class passengers.

British Airways is asking passengers to allow a full extra hour at the airport to clear security if they want to ensure that they do not miss their flights.  Full details should appear on ba.com in the next couple of days.

You can read more about the transformation at JFK Terminal 7 on this BA website although it doesn’t mention the new security delays.

British Airways JFK improvements

Win a volunteering trip to South Africa

Voluntourism is becoming more and more popular.  According to an Avios study 69% of Britons are interested in volunteering whilst on holiday.

To promote voluntourism Avios has teamed up with Tusk to run a competition giving away three volunteering holidays in Southern Africa.

Tusk is an organisation with over 60 projects in Africa supporting communities, protecting wildlife and promoting education.  Three winners will help in one of three projects Tusk is running in Southern Africa:

The Nakavango Conservation Programme

The Vulture Conservation Programme

The Mokolodi Education Centre and Nature Reserve

The three prizes are a placement in one of the three projects, return flights to South Africa, two nights in a 5 star hotel and a GoPro.

To enter the competition you must either upload a three minute video of yourself or write a short essay answering three questions.  The questions, how to enter and more information about the competition and the Do More For Africa project can be found here.  Entries close on 24th July.

New BA Holidays promo - fly to New York etc in Club World with hotel from £1,299!
My review of the Conrad New York hotel

Comments

1. I have a connection YYZ-JFK-LHR scheduled for July. Do you know whether I’ll be impacted just like someone starting their journey at JFK or if I’ll bypass this security area by staying airside?

• James. You cannot stay airside at JFK. I presume you are flying American Eagle which will arrive into T8 so you will need to clear Customs at T8 and then exit the terminal and take the air train to Terminal 7. No avoiding at Security at Terminal 7 unfortunately.

• Customs would be pre-cleared in YYZ; those flights arrive into JFK as domestics, which will save some time on arrival.

• James,
        you’ll land “domestically” at T8. If you are flying with AA to LHR then you’ll just need to walk to your Gate! Somehow I suspect you are flying on BA metal so you will need to unfortunately re-clear security at T7.

2. I have a connection YYZ-JFK-LHR scheduled for July. Do you know whether I’ll be impacted just like someone starting their journey at JFK or if I’ll bypass this security area by staying airside?

Is the private channel offered to CW and First passengers only, or do BAEC Silver get an invite?

3. Genghis says:

OT. Any very recent datapoints on how long it takes for Amex Plat referral points to post? (Some have commented recently on then taking a while to post and want to find out if this is the new norm). TIA.

• Auto accept from Tuesday…still waiting…need to close account today to avoid fee!

• Andrew* says:

Within a week or so / same day cards arrived. (This May)

• Genghis says:

Cheers guys. Sounds like no change then

• Does anyone know if the referral points would still get added to a closed account if the application was accepted before account was closed ?

• I’d be very doubtful – best to keep it open if you can until the referral points post.

• Agree, and the referral points moved out before you cancel too…much to do then before saying bye bye!

4. JamesB says:

OT: It *may have been mentioned before whilst I was away but if not then there is a 30000 nectar bonus points offer available on the amex card for application by end of June for target spend of £2000. Not as good as the 40k offer last October but still good for those who might have exhausted other amex options at the moment. I imagine it’s targetted so check nectar online accounts.

5. The worst thing about this security change is if you arrive an hour early and there is no queue, because there is nothing to do at T7!

6. Oh! Matron! says:

I’ve had some huge delays in JFK over the last three weeks, but on planes. There’s maintenance on one of the runways meaning that, at peak times, there’s hideous taxi times (40 mins on VS46 on sunday) and if the weather is even slightly bad, all hell breaks loose… :-(

7. BA are still asking me to pay for seats on my existing HBO bookings… Anyone else had any more luck? Might just pay and ask for a refund straightaway!

• Andrew says:

Although supposed to be free for status cardholders from Wednesday, seats on our October booking in ET were chargeable that day. They went free yesterday (so I nabbed an exit seat).

I wonder whether they’re lifting the charges in date order of the flight – I think that’s how they’re processing refunds for those who paid for seat reservations.

• Apparantly if you call or contact Twitter team they will select them for free for you.

8. Scottydogg says:

OT , sorry

I held the white Virgin card about a year ago , perhaps slightly longer , I’m looking at signing up again to get this enhanced 10,000 points sign up . is there any understanding on how long between cards you need to be with virgin /mbna to get the sign up bonus again ?

9. Scallder says:

Mixed fleet cabin crew looking at 2 weeks of strikes from 1st July: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40305008

10. Avios competition concept is interesting:
    Flights etc for one person – so we would both need to win!
    Flights in Economy, but then a five-star hotel for the first and last nights (presumably to recover/prepare for the Economy ordeal!)
    Otherwise, sounds fun!
    (if only I could UUA if I win!)

11. I was shocked at the queues for security (flying Club World) at JFK two weeks ago.

Nothing about the experience was premium.

I can only imagine the queues Economy passengers had to put up with.

12. the real harry1 says:

My F&booze issue with BA (for n flights booked before they announced F&B was being withdrawn) has now been satisfactorily resolved, with no need not to speak about it (no NDA) nor indeed any need to say any more.

I presented my case. They gave me the adequate compo I requested.

• Result and nice not to have the hassle of filing via MCOL!

• the real harry1 says:

Going via the CEO probably helped. I was MD of a FTSE100 division a lifetime ago and if I’d seen my email at that time, I’d have dismissed it in 10 seconds with a request for somebody to sort it out & waste no more company time on it.

Helps to have the facts & be reasonable – hat tip CWS.

• That’s my approach too. Had major issue six months out of warranty with my car, no luck with local dealership so escalated to CEO – his extremely efficient PA then sorted everything, as a result I went back to the same manufacturer for my next one. I also made sure to lay things out logically (and as unemotionally as possible!) in the complaint, with a clear indication of what it would take to resolve the matter to my satisfaction – again I think if what you are asking for is reasonable it’s much less hassle for them to agree to it than to have to think what to offer!

• the real harry1 says:

I never had a problem with M&S BoB. Not for me, so I can sleep/ doze better with no interruptions. You get what you pay for.

• Same here, went straight to Gavin Patterson, our BT maestro, when we were already 21 days without Internet or phone, elderly parents and all that!. And his PA phoned me on the SAT evening to resolve the matter to all our satisfaction. Lovely lady. Was nearly going round to his house, mind you…result being we are still with BT. God Help us.

Harry, glad all sorted to your satisfaction too, only fair l say. They shouldn’t change the goal posts when you buy with certain t and c attached..ie f and b..included in ticket…

• the real harry1 says:

Polly: yes – but there will be many thousands of passengers out there who have not received appropriate compo/ anything for the withdrawn F&B.

Some indeed in my position where they had several flights booked but only got the ‘gesture’ offered once.

They should – IMV – all have automatically received about £10 or £10 equivalent for that withdrawn service – on every flight.

A couple of drinks & a sandwich…

• the real harry1 says:
  13. Crafty says:

OT: Anyone considering gift cards for the £30 off £100 at Selfridges… don’t. Goes through as Voucher Express :(

Win some you lose some I guess!