Bits: BA long-haul cancellations for 2018, 13200 Avios with an Economist subscription (again)

News in brief:

British Airways long-haul cancellations for 2018

Earlier this week we covered the new British Airways long-haul services from London Gatwick to Toronto and Las Vegas.  These flights are currently wide-open for Avios redemptions if you want to book.

I was wondering where the aircraft were coming from, and now we have a partial answer.  BA has announced the following cancellations for next Summer.  You may already be booked on one of these services – if so, give BA a call now.  Don’t wait for them to contact you because the best rebooking options may already be gone.

Oakland (from Gatwick) – Tuesday flight cancelled from 27th March

Orlando (from Gatwick) – Friday flight BA2039 cancelled from 4th May

Kingston (from Gatwick) – Sunday flight cancelled from 6th May

Las Vegas (from Heathrow) – Friday flight BA271 cancelled from 6th April

Economist Iberia

13,200 Avios for an Economist subscription

Iberia Plus and The Economist have brought back their special offer for taking out a subscription.

As you can see at this linkyou can earn 13,200 Avios in Iberia Plus if you take out a 1-year digital and print subscription to The Economist. The cost is £179.  This works out at 1.35p per Avios.

Alternatively, you can earn 10,200 Avios with a £145 print-only or digital-only subscription.  This works out at 1.4p per point.

This offer is particularly attractive if you are self-employed or run a company.  Whilst I am not a tax expert and you should obviously take your own advice if necessary, it would be hard to argue that The Economist magazine is not an acceptable tax-deductible purchase for most business people.

The price charged seems to be in line with the price charged via other channels so you are not over-paying.

You will need an Iberia Plus account to take part. Once the Avios points arrive – and as long as your Iberia account is over 90 days old – you can convert them to British Airways or avios.com via the ‘Combine my Avios’ function online.

The Economist changed the rules of this promotion two years ago after a large number of people took out a subscription and then cancelled it for a partial refund a few weeks later.  Your subscription is now non-refundable.  However, £179 for 13,200 Avios plus a full year of The Economist in print and online is certainly not a bad deal.

If you have any friends in the United States who may enjoy The Economist in print (you could access the digital version yourself), there is still a deal to be had.  The cost is $190 (£142) for 13,200 Avios.

Note also that the DIGITAL ONLY version for US residents is $152 (£117) and you get 10,200 Avios for yourself.

Some people have had trouble getting their Avios to post from this offer in the past, so take screenshots and be prepared to send a few grumpy emails back and forth.

The offer runs until 31st October 2017.  Thanks to Liz for this.

Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss
BA offering car transfers at Heathrow to late-running domestic passengers

Comments

1. Cassandra says:

Sadly, the US $ price you quote is more than double the readily available price online for paper&website.

2. What happens if your flight is an Avios redemption? Can u only be booked on to another flight if there is availability?

• avidsaver says:

From my experience earlier this year “availability” is not a consideration. I had a redemption CW to Vegas flight cancelled. BA had re-booked us on to a later flight which did not fit in with our plans. I called and asked to be moved to a flight a day earlier with no problem.

• No, they put you wherever you want.

• I was called by BA, no issues to move me to another flight and was given options, avios redemption and companion vouchers x2 in club.. kudos to BA for calling me and sorting this out,

3. Having had to send about 10 threatening emails and had to wait until today to receive my Economist avios from April I have to warn folk that it is not a particularly easy ride!

Are the flight cancellations above, the final flights or the actual ones cancelled? e.g. I am currently booked on the Vegas to Heathrow on Friday 6th April which leaves at 9.30pm. So I will either be on the last return or not have a plane turning up! Do you know which before I call?

4. OT: Do Alan Boswell accept American Express? Can’t see the info clearly on their website. Will still be going for the cheapest quote but out of those would be favouring one who accepts Amex as need to hit my Platinum spend target soon.

5. William Avery says:

Fantastic re. Economist deal. They keep on sending me reminders but just need to wait for the start of September clearly.

6. How much do you think we could get back as self employed?

7. OT if you are close to your 241 companion voucher and see some reward flights with low availability is it worth buying a fully refundable ticket to hit the target and get your 241? And then get the refund once you’ve actually breached the threshold.

8. Great to get the Avios again. I have subscribed to Economist for about 20 years despite their increasingly left tilt.

• Very true, I always used to like the Economist for being one of the more objective, apolitical takes on world goings on. They certainly seem to have decided the new online ‘Independent’ have the right trajectory in mind and are following suit from the ‘logical’ centre to an increasingly overt leftist ideal…. I don’t have a problem with that intrinsically but at least be up front about it with your potential readers rather than claiming impartiality!

• the real harry1 says:

yep they p’d me off as well – i was a loyal economist subscriber for 15 yrs or so, got fed up with the thin European edn so took a holiday

got a few 12 for £1 deals and realised I was only reading half the copy, scanning then junking the rest

The Economist needs a new editorial team

• I used to be on almost constant 12 for £1 subs. Not bad, £4 for the year. Now it’s 12 for £12 which I’m currently on which isn’t too bad. An economist sub should therefore be valued perhaps at £52 so the avios here cost 0.96p ea.

9. Is the economy deal worth it if you’re just in it for the avios and not for the magazine?
    Isn’t excessive buying 13000 avios for £179?

10. You know it’s almost worth considering registering other places as businesses premises so you could get a subscription for each place – say – 12 addresses = return biz trip on CX to HNG from CPH and then claim then back through expenses. if you are going to use the plumber analogy it’s quite reasonable that some people need the same tools at different locations.

11. economist link doesn’t work for me. keep getting 500 error code.

12. David Quinn says:

We were booked on an OAK to LGW on Tuesday 5th June next year, Club World on a 2 for 1 Avios redemption, and were arbitrarily moved to the 4th. Phoned call centre and they moved us to a SFO to LHR flight on the 5th. All good so far. We had paid to reserve seats both ways, which is GLA to London return and outgoing leg to EWR. The call centre and Twitter between them have now managed to cancel the seat reservations on both transatlantic legs. Need to speak to someone other than the call centre to get this sorted, is there a good number to call? Any help much appreciated.

13. It doesn’t accept my Iberia plus number, please can you advise?

• Richard G says:

When I tried it, it didn’t like the IB part at the front. Putting in just the number rather than IBwhatever worked fine. Who knows if I’ll get the points, but I kept screenshots showing that the site wouldn’t let me through the other way.

14. Thanks but I also tried it without IB without success