Why do people dislike Dubai so much?!

I have just finished a post reviewing our hotel in Dubai from last month, which will go up tomorrow.

What crossed my mind when writing it, though, was the reaction you often get when you tell people you are off to Dubai for a holiday. You very often get a response which implies that you off to somewhere on a par with Magaluf (apologies to anyone who holidays in Magaluf ….)!

I’m not sure if this is based on snobbishness or simply a false impression of what Dubai has to offer. I have done Dubai holidays as a couple, as a family with young children and as a ‘boy’s trip’, and all have gone splendidly well.

Obviously if your idea of a good holiday is trekking in Mongolia then you will find Dubai lacking somewhat. But let’s be clear – over the last 20 years I have spent more than enough time holidaying in the less glamorous parts of the world. I am not writing this purely from the position of a middle-class, middle-aged holiday maker!

Here are the positive things about Dubai:

It is a doddle to get there, especially with Avios. Numerous flights per day, both daytime and overnight, into a functioning (albeit ageing) airport. And Abu Dhabi airport is only an hours drive away as well!

Modest four hour time difference

Fantastic weather at times of the year when it is a bit pants back home! You won’t get sunburnt in December, but it is warm enough to sit on the beach.

World class hotels. You will not find a better collection of high end hotels in one place anywhere. In particular, the quality of the beach-front hotels is very high. Madinat Jumeirah (photo below) is – as a combination of spa, rooms, retail, beach, restaurant, architecture, location – probably the most impressive beach resort in the world (although if you want peace, quiet and tranquility it’s not for you – The Maldives it is not!).

Fun, family stuff to do, albeit Vegas style. Camel trekking, trips up the Burj Khalifa, the indoor ski centre, plenty of desert trips, abra trips down the creek, golf etc etc. Plus, of course, ludicrous amounts of shopping, most of which you will recognise from the British high street.

Madinat Jumeirah resort

Let’s be clear, I’m not suggesting that this is the place to come if you want to ‘find yourself’ or get in touch with a different way of life. But if you’ve got the cash (and the beach resorts are not cheap) and you want an easy few days in the sun with world-class restaurants, hotels, shopping etc then its just fine.

Security is excellent, the taxi drivers don’t rip you off, the water is fine (albeit desalinated), there is world class healthcare. (My wife had a root canal problem the other week and had no problem finding a German dentist). You can take a baby with no concerns over supplies, food, water or hospitality.

Of course, if you want to see world-class art, visit the theatre etc then you are in the wrong place. But there are plenty of other places you can visit for that. I am happy to put that side of my life on the back-burner for a week or so, frankly.

The only caveat I have is that you really should stay at a beach resort. Staying in a business hotel really isn’t the same (although we tend to do our first and last nights near the airport for convenience and to control costs) and there isn’t much in the way of public beach access unfortunately. But do give it a go at some point ….

1,000 Clubcard points (2,400 Avios) for £4.48 via blinkbox!
It seems BA Amex holders CAN get the 50,000 points Amex Platinum bonus!

Double Rewards
AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. For me, there’s not quite enough there and it’s a little bit too far away and too expensive compared to the Med. I’m really keen to take a short stopover if I’m flying via DXB on EK or QF, but I don’t think there’s enough to justify a standalone holiday.

2. PanGalactic says:

Awful place, you really don’t want to go there! It’s too hot and yes, it’s extortionately expensive! Especially that Madinat place and their rooms are tiny!

Stick to greece, they need your money more there at the moment anyway!

OK, just kidding!

Seriously, with a 3 year old, we just need somewhere to chill by the pool for a week with good restaurants and excellent customer service. We’re off on our 4th trip there in the past 2 years next week and can’t wait!

The only problem is the food is so good I put on about a kilo per day when I’m there!

The hand holding thing is not as bad as people make out. I’ve seen locals holding hands in the mall, though I wouldn’t do it personally out of respect.

You wouldn’t want to get caught out there being drunk and disorderly though, seriously forget about the wackybacky if you are into that sort of thing, don’t personally insult anyone either as you can get into a lot of trouble for that too.

I guess the reason we like it so much is that it just feels so safe. You are very unlikely to get mugged or pickpocketed out there.

I wouldn’t bother hiring a car either, the roads are a nightmare plus the taxis are so cheap anyway and they don’t rip you off!

3. gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

Love it. The Ritz Carlton near Dubai Marina is my favourite hotel in the world.
    Good Food.
    Great Hotels.
    Late night shopping.
    Friendly locals (if you can find them).

Appreciate and respect the local customs….even the men hold hands sometimes!
    My wife bought a lovely abaya (for her business purposes) off the corniche near to the gold souk. She’s thinking of freaking people out by putting it on for dinner parties here!

4. cmcbugg says:

My issues are mainly moral. While I’m certainly no activist, their worker’s rights (“slave” Asian labour), women’s rights and gay rights make it a place that isn’t going to get any of my money.

5. If you just want a hotel, much as this site is about, then Dubai is OK. You will get weather and acceptable international hotel standards. So what? Might as well stay at home unless you don’t have reasonable cutlery, crockery, glass-ware, table linen etc.. Between £10 and £20 per night you can always find a good quality 5-star hotel on the South coast of Turkey in the winter.

• gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

Interesting. My companies policy, when I worked in Telecoms was that the hotels we stayed in would be of a similar standard to our homes. In my case they were always much nicer. Although I now have a much nicer home, it’s nowhere near the nice hotels in Dubai….and I don’t mean the glitzy tat of the Burj Al Arab!

6. maltapoints says:

I should of course add that you’re all much better off coming to Malta…

• gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

Sure.
      Come and stay round my place in Xemxija.
      Pain to get to with Avios, though. Vueling through Barcelona, anyone?
      Shout out to all Flypass members.

7. I’ve never been anywhere else where all the people working there are so unhappy. The workers brought in from the sub-continent are basically slave labour. Ok they don’t have to come but they are desperate to earn money to send home and are exploited. Working with no rights with poor conditions and bussed to and from compounds. Their living conditions are shocking. I found it a bit depressing.
    The other things mentioned already don’t help. Overzealous application of laws to foreigners, attitude to women etc don’t help either!

8. Alan Westley says:

“Appreciate and respect the local customs” my ass… I’m sure glad that there were time when brits didn’t respect local Indian custom sati and banned burning widows together with the remains of their husbands. Nor did they give up their decision for a couple of tasty local dishes.

I’m no activist myself and sure my couple of grand wouldn’t make a big difference, but I’d just lose self-respect if I indirectly supported UAE regime when I have a choice to go elsewhere.

9. David B says:

What cmcbugg said. Basically pre-apartheid South Africa (Indian slave labour) combined with mediaeval attitudes to sex.

10. Most hypocritical and hooker filled place I have ever visited. Rather go to Rwanda!

11. Raffles, I feel you do Magaluf a terrible disservice. It has natural white sandy beach, 1 hour time difference from the UK, 2 1/2 hour flying time and a democratic government that does not humiliate and persecute women or gays. The Balearics are deservedly popular for their stunning natural beauty, not because some rich people decided to build some soulless, rich people’s hotels in middle of the dessert.

As a winter destination, I prefer Southern Turkey where you are surrounded by thousands of years of history at every turn, their culture is one of hospitality, and the hotels are ever more stunning, and all-inclusive, for a fraction of the Dubai rates.

For old-fashioned luxury on the beach with a stunning mountainous backdrop, try the Amara Wing in Kemer, for extreme modern minimalism the Hillside Su just outside Antalya, for the a la carte dining experience, the Concorde at Lara Beach, for history and the best all-round hotel experience, the Sunrise Queen in Side, now returned to the manager that made her legendary. Nowhere on Earth have I encountered better hotels. If you want to sunbathe, avoid February – that’s it.