Next week, if all goes to plan, Head for Points will be relaunched with a snazzy new look!
You’ll (hopefully) be pleased to know that nothing is going to change under the surface. The content and the general layout will remain the same, just under a slightly glossier finish.
I should give you advance warning that there will also be some light advertising on the blog from next week – but hopefully nothing intrusive.
We are currently hosted at wordpress.com. This has been an excellent arrangement, but I am blocked from any sort of commercial activity, even affiliate links. I am now moving to a commercial hosting service, which will allow me some added flexibility.
What does this mean in practice for the next few days?
1. There will be normal posting up to and including next Sunday
2. On Monday morning, the blog will be ‘frozen’. Not only will there be no new posts on Monday or Tuesday, but commenting on existing posts will also be temporarily stopped.
3. During Monday and Tuesday, the blog will be migrated to its new home. If you try to log in, it will be pot luck whether you get the old or the new version!
4. Some testing can only be done when the blog is ‘live’. If you do look in on Monday or Tuesday, you may see some design elements changing from minute to minute! By Wednesday morning it should have settled down.
5. Hopefully, on Wednesday, everything will be OK and normal posting and commentating will resume. However, there may be the odd teething problem and I will probably continue to tweak the design for a few days. Let’s see how it goes. (In particular, the email, RSS, Facebook and Twitter feeds may get interruped.)
Until next Sunday, however, it is definitely business as usual!