Uber launched in London last year as a luxury car service, offering you the chance to be transported around in a Mercedes or similar.
Yesterday, Uber launched UberX. UberX is a lower cost version of the main Uber service (now renamed UberLUX) using cars such as a BMW 3 series or Toyota Prius.
Both services can be booked via the same Uber smartphone app, available via the Apple and Android stores.
The company claims that UberX will be 40% cheaper than Addison Lee and 30% cheaper than a black cab, depending on how far you travel. UberX is also 60% cheaper than UberLUX.
Typical fares quoted on the website for UberX are:
- Central London to Heathrow: £30 – £45 (fixed fare)
- Central London to City Airport: £12 – £33 (fixed fare)
- Central London to Gatwick Airport: £45 – 55 (fixed fare)
- Shoreditch to London Bridge £9 (variable fare)
- Bank to Berkeley Square £9 (variable fare)
- Clerkenwell to South Kensington £17 (variable fare)
The service is still rolling out so the company warns that UberX cars may not always be available.
If you have not already signed up for Uber, you can receive £15 of free credit by using my refer-a-friend link which you can access by clicking here.