Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

UberX launches in London – get £15 free credit! – 40% less than Addison Lee

From April 2018, please use our new Uber sign-up code UBERHEADFORPOINTS via this link, or download the app and add the code via the promo code box on the ‘Payment’ tab.  This gets you £3 off your first ride.

Uber launched in London last year as a luxury car service, offering you the chance to be transported around in a Mercedes or similar.

Yesterday, Uber launched UberX.  UberX is a lower cost version of the main Uber service (now renamed UberLUX) using cars such as a BMW 3 series or Toyota Prius.

Both services can be booked via the same Uber smartphone app, available via the Apple and Android stores.

Uber

The company claims that UberX will be 40% cheaper than Addison Lee and 30% cheaper than a black cab, depending on how far you travel.  UberX is also 60% cheaper than UberLUX.

Typical fares quoted on the website for UberX are:

• Central London to Heathrow: £30 – £45 (fixed fare)
  • Central London to City Airport: £12 – £33 (fixed fare)
  • Central London to Gatwick Airport: £45 – 55 (fixed fare)
  • Shoreditch to London Bridge £9 (variable fare)
  • Bank to Berkeley Square £9 (variable fare)
  • Clerkenwell to South Kensington £17 (variable fare)

The service is still rolling out so the company warns that UberX cars may not always be available.

If you have not already signed up for Uber, you can receive £15 of free credit by using my refer-a-friend link which you can access by clicking here.

Comments (21)

• Rda says:

It doesn’t recognise my uk postcode so can’t register

• Rob says:

The Galon code, ironically, was also from the Google Adwords campaign!

• Mrtibbs1999 says:

On Google.com people where posting their referral links as adwords campaign. They were quickly banned. Could be the same in this case with the Galon code… I note with the uberlovesthisweather code, that if you choose a eurozone location in the “country box” you get 10 euros, choose the USA $10 or choose the UK for £10. This is a great bonus as you can only use credits that match the billing of the city you are in. I’m off to Paris tonight and have lots of euro accounts…..

• Mrtibbs1999 says:

p.s with the 10 credits it is much more beneficial to use uberx. You won’t get very for for 10 in a black car. When the 20 codes come back then the black cars are worth using again…

• DYKWIA says:

Same for me… it won’t accept my postcode.

• DYKWIA says:

Ahh… I’ve worked it out. It was because I was using an AMEX. When I tried with a Mastercard, it worked OK.

• DYKWIA says:

And then I was able to add the AMEX and delete the Mastercard 🙂

• thesaver79 says:

Did you do via the app or the website? I’ve tried via the app and it still tells me that the post code can’t be recognised when I try to add and Amex

• DYKWIA says:

I did it via the Website. It doesn’t ask for a postcode when adding a new card.

• Whamer says:

Thanks! Will give it a go. I had same postcode issue with AMEX too but fine with VISA.

• Ant says:

Perfect. Had the same prob with postcode but once i put in a visa instead of Amex it worked

• Max says:

Thanks Raffles.

Registration works fine with MBNA issued AA Amex card but not with Amex issued cards.
    However, once registered, you can add your Amex issued card and cancel the card you first registered with.

Do we get double MR points for using the Amex Gold card with UberX?