Possibly the longest on-going saga at Head for Points is drawing to a close.
Last October, Shangri-La Golden Circle, the loyalty scheme for the luxury hotel group, had a promotion where you could earn 1,200 points by playing an online game.
This was very generous, as 1,000 points earns you a $100 food and drink voucher.
Shangri-La was, of course, about to open the eagerly anticipated hotel in the 90-storey The Shard tower in London so I encouraged HFP readers to jump in.
The hotel opening was then delayed. When it finally opened, not all of the restaurants and bars were open. Shangri-La then put a temporary block on redeeming points in the hotel.
That block is now over. As of yesterday, you can order $100 food and drink vouchers via the Golden Circle website to use in The Shard. That is currently worth £59, but a savvy couple would have opened a Golden Circle account each to have £118.
Some readers have already ordered vouchers so the system is working OK. You need to redeem within six months of ordering the voucher.
I know someone who is going on Tuesday and I will hopefully get some feedback on how it works in practice. Here are the terms and conditions of the vouchers:
- A Non-Room Award confirmation is valid for six months from the date of redemption is made.
- Advance reservation with the participating food and beverage outlets is required.
- A Member or Nominee must validate the redeemed Non-Room Award in exchange for a Golden Circle redemption voucher in person by presenting proof of identity document at the Business Centre prior to the service being used.
- Redemption vouchers can only be used at participating food and beverage outlets on the date of validation.
- Redemption vouchers cannot be exchanged for cash. All unused value will not be refunded whether in terms of cash, GC Award Points or otherwise. Any excess amount will be charged to the Member or Nominee.
- Redemption vouchers cannot be used to purchase merchandise or services that are contracted out by the Hotel to a third party.
- Redemption vouchers cannot be used to settle charges on banqueting, outside catering and event spends, or expenses charged to a room account.
- Redemption vouchers cannot be used in conjunction with any other discounts or promotional offers.
- Redemption vouchers must be presented at the time of payment.
- Once the redemption is made, no amendment or cancellation is allowed.
Hotel offers update – December 2021:
Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.
Want to buy hotel points? There is currently a special offer running with Hilton Honors (100% bonus to 7th December), Marriott Bonvoy (45% bonus to 8th December) and World of Hyatt (30% discount, equivalent to a 43% bonus, to 30th December).