Nutmeg Avios

Got the Etihad credit card? Get a free upgrade to Heathrow Rewards premium tier

A lot of Head for Points readers will have applied for the Etihad Guest credit card in recent weeks.  This is due to the exceptionally generous 25,000 miles sign-up bonus – the most generous bonus on a free travel credit card for two years.

If you have signed up, there is an extra bonus you may not be aware of.

Etihad credit card holders get a free upgrade to the Heathrow Rewards premium tier.

Heathrow Rewards

The premium tier usually requires £500 per year of spending.  The one and only benefit is double Heathrow Rewards points on all of your spending, ie 2 points per £1.

Registration is easy.

Go to this page on the Etihad website and click through the link to the Heathrow Rewards site.  You must be logged out of Heathrow Rewards or it will not work.

It is not clear how long you will keep the status.  It works on calendar year, so I would imagine that – even if you cancel your Etihad credit card tomorrow – you would retain it for the rest of 2015 and all of 2016.

(Want to earn more miles and points from credit cards?  Click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

New Amex '£10 back on £35 Amazon spend' deal - were you targetted?
LAST CHANCE: 1,000 Clubcard points (2,400 Avios) for joining TopCashback TODAY

1. Adam W says:

The credit card offer was indeed generous………..assuming the miles actually post before devaluation. I hit the spend immediately and the card was statemented on 18th June. Any ideas how long after the statement they actually hit the Guest account?

• James67 says:

Mine was a week after statement date and dads was only two days. Some people will be disappointed because mbna sometimes do not post the bonus until the second statement even if spend target was reached before the first was issued. If you have any spg points to use they took four days to tra sfer for me. Dad tra sferred his on Tuesday so he’s hoping they will hit his account today.

• Adam W says:

Thanks James67! I’ll keep my fingers crossed!

• James67 says:

I’ve never had an mbna credit to any scheme take more than a couple of weeks so Im sure everything will be fine

2. Maciek says:

damn… “Thank you for your interest in this promotion.
    It seems that this promotion is not available to you.”

• Matthew says:

I’m getting that too, when you click via the ‘Already a Heathrow Rewards member’.

• Matthew says:

Second time it worked, it may have thought I was logged into Heathrow Rewards from another tab. Logout Heathrow Rewards and close that tab, and reload the offer from Etihad website. (As per Rob’s instructions above).

• Lostantipod says:

Tried clearing my browsing history, closing tabs etc….tried doing it while logged into EY Guest…. I cannot get the link to allow me to enrol.

3. What's the Point says:

Our Etihad points and bonus points posted within 5 days of statement being issued.
    2 x bonuses + 40,000 Amex bonus conversion and I have just booked 2 x ow LHR to AUH in First on the A380.
    Had to change our travel plans a few times, but would have rather done that than spend more points after the devaluation.

4. What's the Point says:

This might be a stupid question, but do you collect Heathrow Reward points on everything you can buy at the Airport?

• Yes, except Louis Vuitton in T5. HEx tickets earn, even under the MasterCard discount rate as long as your number is in your HEx profile.

• What's the Point says:

Would you also earn Heathrow Points on a purchase at The Rolex outlet in T5?

• Think so. The Heathrow Rewards terms and conditions list the exceptions. I bought my wife a Jaeger LeC watch in Watches of Swizerland at Heathrow a few year ago. Near Christmas they offer huge numbers of bonus points on big purchases – I think I got 12,500 plus double base points as I had a premium HR card, about 20,000 in all.

• James67 says:

I seem to recall a comment on an earlier post that buying giftcards at some outlets (whsmith?) didn’t qualify.

5. What's the Point says:

What “User ID” are people putting into the web form?

• Your Hrewards

• Your Heathrow Rewards username.
      They then email you to tell you to enter your Etihad Guest number in your Heathrow Rewards profile.

They’ll then verify the number with Etihad apparently before confirming status match.

6. What's the Point says:

Thanks, will try it again!

7. What's the Point says:

It worked when putting in my email address to the “user id” section.

8. What's the Point says:

Anyone had their new Premium status appear on their Heathrow Rewards account yet?