Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

How does the Yotel / Virgin Atlantic partnership work?

Last weekend I ran an article outlining hotels chains which do not give Avios but which do give Virgin Flying Club miles.

I mentioned Yotel.  According to the Virgin Atlantic site, you only earn Flying Club miles at the new Yotel property in New York.

This appears to be a mistake.  If you visit the Yotel website here, it says:

YOTELAIR: 100 miles for a single stay of any duration, day or night for Gold, Silver and Red Flying Club members, Choose from our hotels at Heathrow, Gatwick, Amsterdam Schiphol, and Paris Charles de Gaulle airport hotels.

yotel-gatwick

A HFP reader confirmed to me that he has received Virgin miles for a stay at Gatwick.  The only rule is that you must have booked via the Yotel website.  Even booking with Yotel via the telephone does not count.

Yotel has also partnered with Flying Blue, the KLM / Air France programme – details via the same link.

You can learn more about Yotel Gatwick here and Yotel Heathrow here.

This HFP article tells you how [email protected], the YOTEL membership scheme, works and what the benefits are.

HFP Virgin Atlantic Rewards credit card

How to earn Virgin Points from UK credit cards (November 2020)

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Points

As well as the two official Virgin Atlantic credit cards (see here, one has a bonus of 15,000 Points), you can also earn from various American Express cards – and these have sign-up bonuses too.

(Want to earn more Virgin Points?  Click here to see our recent articles on Virgin Atlantic and Flying Club and click here for our home page with the latest news on earning and spending other airline and hotel points.)

Comments (38)

• Allan says:

The Hilton offer must be targeted – I can’t see it anyway!

• Rob says:

Not meant to be – did you log in and go all the way through to the order page?

• Alex says:

Hi Rob

What I meant is, I’m unable to purchase more than 80,000 points. Even at the page which asks for my payment details

• Allan says:

I’ve tried again – still shows bare points e.g. 20,000 = $200
        I need some to get a redemption but don’t fancy paying full price.

• JP says:

I have pretty much the same holiday booked for Easter as well for our family. Going out to Beijing, over to Tokyo on JAL for just over a week and back via Beijing (making use of the 72 hour none visa transit in Beijing each way).

• Rob says:

I am a bit worried about all the flights with the kids – may tweak the itinerary later!

• YL says:

I also have similar plan for Easter, over HK with 2-4-1 and planning to add Tokyo to it:))

• JP says:

We are using the MAN to PEK Hainan airlines route to Beijing.

Now my next issue to try to find cheap(ish) accommodation in Japan. I am hoping the yen rate improves (it has a little recently). Beijing seems to have lots of cheap options for good hotels.

There doesn’t seem to be that many of the international hotel chains hotels in Japan (especially outside Tokyo). There also doesn’t seem to be many family rooms in China/Japan. What are your plans for accommodation in Japan? We are planning on heading south on the Bullet train (Japan 7 day rail pass) down to Kyoto/Hiroshima and possibly down to Fukuoka/Kumamoto area before heading back to Tokyo.

• CC says:

We stayed in Hotel Monterey Ginza, nice area close to metro. And later in trip Ibis shinjuku. Neither are luxury but decent price and enjoyed both stays with no problems.

• CV3V says:

Colleague at work recommended Japan Rail’s own hotel company JR Hotel Group, prices were reasonable and hotels are well located.

• Genghis says:

I lived in Fukuoka for a couple of years so if you’re coming to the HfP drinks, happy to offer some advice.

• Genghis says:

Also – we were in Beijing in September just gone and stayed at the New World Hotel – not part of a chain (I don’t believe) but excellent hotel, excellent room, great food and excellent lounge. And was an absolute bargain!

• Warren says:

We stayed in several of the MyStays properties back in August. It’s a surprisingly good “business hotel” chain with comfortable rooms, more free toiletries than anyone’s likely to need and complementary pyjamas that may be amusingly too small. The one in Kanazawa has standard rooms bigger that most anywhere else in the world.
        Hotel Sunroute Hiroshima was good, ask for a room facing the river and you overlook the Peace Park and get a view of the A-Bomb Dome further up the river.

• CC says:

Went Tokyo in the spring using 241, used avios on JAL business Tokyo to Beijing and then used the return leg of 241 back to London. Preferred JAL experience, crew much better, BA crew seemed to have an attitude even towards the business travellers in first.

Oh and my luggage was left in Beijing, and BA literally didn’t give a flying f…!!!!!

Amazing holiday though.