REGISTER NOW for the new Marriott Megabonus promotion

Marriott Rewards has unveiled its promotion for Spring 2018.

It is called Marriott Megabonus, which gives the impression that it is a repeat of the offer of that name which has run on a regular basis in recent years.  As it happens, this deal has a lot to offer occasional stayers, not just heavy Marriott guests, and may work for you if you do lots of one-night stays.

You need to register here.  You might as well do it now in case you forget later, as the promo doesn’t end for four months.

Marriott Megabonus Spring 2018

The offer is very simple:

You receive 2,000 bonus Marriott Rewards points per stay, starting with your 2nd stay

The bonus is increased to 3,000 points if your stay includes a Friday or Saturday night (Thu/Fri in Middle East)

You can earn up to 50,000 bonus points over the promotional period

These are the summary rules:

Promotion runs from 16th January to 15th April

Registration is open now at this page and closes on 31st March

All Marriott brands are included – this includes Delta, Protea, Renaissance, Edition, Autograph, The Ritz-Carlton, Gaylord, AC Hotels, Moxy, JW Marriott etc

I tend to value Marriott Rewards points at 0.5p.  This means that you are getting £10 of bonus points per stay or £15 for a weekend stay.

This deal obviously works best if you are doing one-night stays.  For longer stays, it is possible that another offer – such as the new Starwood promotion I will discuss tomorrow – may prove more lucrative.  You should check your targets for the Spring round of IHG’s Accelerate promotion (described here) and keep an eye out for a new Hilton promotion coming soon.

That said, of course, you should definitely register via marriott.com if there is even a chance that you will do two Marriott stays during this period.  You don’t want to leave additional points on the table.  Registration closes two weeks before the final stay date and last minute sign-ups will not be possible after 31st March.

If registration faills, check that your Marriott account is set to earning points and not airline miles.

PS.  Remember that the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express card now offers double points on card payments at Marriott and Starwood hotels.  You earn 2 SPG points per £1 spent, which converts into 6 Marriott Rewards points.  The standard rate for spending on the SPG Amex is 1 SPG point per £1 which converts into 3 Marriott Rewards points.  The sign-up bonus is 10,000 SPG points which converts into 30,000 Marriott Rewards points.

Meanwhile, on the roof of the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in Heathrow Terminal 3 .....
Bits: Club Eurostar Shop opens, has the Avios reward chart vanished?, Cathay Pacific sale

Comments

1. Might be targeted, says invalid for me (and several others based on comments on other forums).

2. The issue seems to be that you have to be defaulted in your account to earn Marriot reward points and not partner points, to be able to enrol. It does direct you to change your settings if you wish and then presumably you can enrol……and then save up points to convert to Avios! However that means staying a lot at Marriotts (unimaginable in my book) or at Ritz Carltons which is fine, but limited in venues for me.

3. thehornets says:

Another uninspiring bonus offer from Marriott which rewards one night stays over week long stays. Hardly a ‘mega’bonus…

• Starwood double points is more suited to you – that is probably cunning planning by Marriott.

• RussellH says:

Suits me! We usually stay just one night in a hotel.

• Lady London says:

Are there any incentives on offer for a first sign up to Starwood? I haven’t yet but have some long stays coming up in January.

• 3 weeks after I signed up in November, they sent me an offer: 2.5k bonus points on first stay, 5k bonus points on second stay. To be completed before the end of February.
        Not sure if this is the standard offer they send to all new members though.

• I got this recently too; iirc the offer seemed to be linked to winter 2017 but might be an ongoing thing.

4. Has anyone applied for the SPG credit card recently? I’ve been knocked back a couple of times referencing my credit report. However I’m rated 999 with Experian and I’ve not held the SPG card for over 12 months.

• (Sheer coincidence) but I applied yesterday, got immediate acceptance.

• I applied yesterday. Was told they couldn’t give me an immediate response so rung up to query and they said they had some manual checks to do, still awaiting result, not too concerned as this happens with every Amex card I’ve ever applied for. Currently Amex Plat holder (in 2nd year) and cancelled my BA Amex (Blue) and Plat Companion Credit Card a week ago.

• Scallder says:

This might be the same as a number of rejections in the past couple of months. Cant speak for others but I was rejected for a card having never been done so before (for any card) and was originally told it was due to my credit score. I complained as said that was ridiculous as I knew my credit score was excellent from Experian (who Amex use) and had a call back from a manager from Brighton.

Was told that actually it wasn’t my credit score but actually the amount of overall credit I had available across existing cards (not just Amex) compared to my salary that was the issue, so they let me move some of my cresit across from my BAPP across to the new card. Since then I have also taken the step of reducing available credit on other cards (which I wasn’t using anyway) so hopefully shouldn’t be an issue going forward and I still have a fairly low utilisation rate so my credit score doesn’t seem to have been impacted.

• Applied yesterday & instant acceptance – which is weird in itself seeing as most of my Amex applications are deferred (although never had a rejection)

5. SPG have also launched a promo…

6. a bit OT
    Can anyone advise please how to get a few Marriott points. Our accounts stand at 7,999 and 7,889 and can only be used/transferred in blocks of 1,000. I cannot see any suitable small purchases through Marriott MORE especially as gift cards are usually sold by third parties so not eligible.
    Did someone mention before about agents rounding up please?

• Have you linked your twitter/Instagram etc to your Marriott account?

• Lady London says:

There’s an existing Marriott Promotion (also called Megabonus just to confuse us all) still ongoing till into January. 2 nights gets a free night. You would earn points as well as the free night. However free night is in categories 1-5 which are hard to find in UK and Europe though not elsewhere.

• I asked IHG to round up my hubby’s account a while back by a few pts so he had a round number which they did – Rob normally recommends asking. I received a random Reply Reward from Marriott this week for 300 pts which has now put me out of kilter – I now need 700 more to round up.

7. Sussex Bantam says:

There is a 1000 points a week available from the Marriott NFL promotion on twitter.

8. I had the same issue. No issues with the credit score. Unfortunately I did not get a call from Amex, just a bland response. Will cull a few cards over Xmas and try again January. Have half a dozen I do not use anymore with £50+ credit. That might help.

9. I have the same issue regarding the SPG card application. Have been rejected for quite a few times since I closed the account early this year.

10. I too cannot register, I’m set to points not miles, but in promotion central it tells me “there are no new promotions”.

11. OT – Rob, I’m currently reading about CIVs and noticed a post from 2014 where you state in the comments “I am 99% certain that I am at the very bottom of the Gold tier!”

Any advance on that with the growth of H4P over the past couple years?

12. RussellH says:

Something funny with the hfp link here – it took me to the correct page, but it was impossible to log in as it froze Firefox completely. Quit and restarted the browser and tried again. This time it was impossible to enter log in data. Finally went the normal route, logged in from the marriott.co.uk start page and took it from there

13. Mildly OT – Could anyone remind me of the Marriott/SPG holiday reward scheme? Is it worth transferring Amex MR points into SPG for reduced rate to make the target? Have circa 40k SPG & 50k MR in platinum card.

14. Not working for me either

15. Jordan D says:

Not working for me as well

16. The current promotion ends on 15th January 2018 and you get a 1-5 stay credit for 2 x stays before 15/1/18.

I haven’t gamed this for a long time but is it still possible to do 4 days, me booking days 1 and 3, her booking days 2 and 4 and checking out each morning ?

I can’t really be bothered but I feel that we get nothing for a 4 days stay in an expensive hotel with decent on premises spend but someone else gets 2 x free rooms for 4 x stays in cheap end hotels spending nothing on site 🙁