Hilton

Bits: Emirates flight sim bargain in North Greenwich, Miles & More car rental deals, Avis / BA Holidays competition

News in brief:

Good Groupon deal on the Emirates flight simulator in North Greenwich

If you’ve been intrigued by some of our flight simulator coverage in recent months, Groupon is running a deal for the Emirates-branded A380 and Boeing 777 flight simulator at North Greenwich.  This is situated in the same building as the Emirates Air Line cable car station, about 2 minutes walk from North Greenwich tube.

This is more of a ‘cheap and cheerful’ approach rather than the full motion simulator Anika recently tried (review to follow next week), but the price reflects that and the location is convenient.

The cost is £34 for a 30-minute session, reduced from the standard £60.  If you open a new Groupon account and apply code HELLO15 you will get a further 15% discount.

Click here for more details and to buy.

Emirates flight simulator North Greenwich

Miles & More car rental deals

Lufthansa Miles & More has launched two generous car rental deals which are worth considering if you need a car in the next few weeks.

Via Europcar, you will receive 1,500 Miles & More miles for every rental booked in January for pick-up at any point in 2018.  The US, Canada and China are excluded.  You need to book at the special Europcar / Miles & More webpage here.

Enterprise / Alamo / National are offering an even bigger bonus of 3,000 Miles & More miles but you need to rent for at least three days.  It is valid globally, book by 31st March for rentals completed by 31st May.  You need to book via this site.

Avis BA Holidays competition

Win £1,000 BA Holidays voucher with Avis

If you need to rent from Avis, on the other hand, you can win a £1,000 BA Holidays voucher.

You need to rent in the UK for a minimum of three days before the end of February, and must be an Avis Preferred member (free to join).  Full details are on the Avis UK site here.

Bits: BA GUF2 changes, Kimpton now bookable on IHG points, Tesco Premium Credit Card deal
Help us update our crowdsourced list of Amex Membership Rewards points transfer times

IHG
IHG

Comments

1. Brilliant! I’ve been waiting for a good flight sim deal since they stopped doing them at Westfield WC.

• At the same web site you will find several simulator deals at the moment including an F16 if interested.

2. Concerto says:

Do NOT waste your time with those M&M car rental promotions, they almost never post, or not without an immense amount of follow up. I am a long time user of Miles & More and this is the thing that annoys me the most about that FFP. For decent car rental deals I use rentalcars.com and the savings I make there far outweigh the value of any miles you “might” get from these false promotions. If I count the time I’ve wasted on those M&M promotions in actual money, I really prefer not to think about it.

• Totally agree. I gave up chasing points via car rentals years ago . The last straw was a 21 day rental with the promise of 500 continental miles per day. Months of follow ups and nothing. I now use skyscanner to search rentals.

3. Has anyone been to the emirates flight simulator?

Been wanting to try it.

By the way where did Anika do her experience? Cant wait until next week!

• I’ve taken three differeng sets of visitors there and they all enjoyed it despite it being a static simulator. It was a first time experience for all of them. I also took them across the river on the cable car which was much enjoyed too as it was a clear blue sky with excellent visibility every time.

• RussellH says:

100% agree re the cable car (always assuming the weather is good). Did it a few years ago free as part of a prize my partner got to see Dolly Parton in a private suite at the o2. Free night at the CP on the north bank (which still netted her some 5000 IHG points), transfer to the o2 by cable car.

So good we decided to pay for the cable car again the next morning.

4. I could need some help. Trying to book a flight from LHR to SFO at the end of the month with BA, slight preference for the A380. There is reward availability in economy, but not in premium or business. What are the chances that something still opens up, and is the best option booking economy now and changing the booking down the line? I’d only need a one-way flight, hence a slight preference for a reward booking, but could also just book a return cash and pre-date the return flight for late in the year.

Thanks, W

• No-one can predict that, unfortunately. Depends on how you value the avios + taxes/fees etc vs the cost of a return economy ticket. If the cash economy ticket books into a class other than Q, O or G then you would be able to upgrade it to WTP if avios availability opened up, but not into Club World.

• I’ve got a different question, but same route, I’m flying J to SFO from LHR (747 for me, upper deck :-). It turns out that I would like to fly up to YVR as soon as I land to visit a friend up there. There’s no AA direct flights, only DL and AC, so I can’t call to just extend my booking with a OW partner. Any way I can be guaranteed to get a flight in case of missed connection? (Amex Plat. coverage?)

• Lady London says:

You can use your BA miles on Alaskan. You have to phone to book. Alaskan fares can be quite high close in so this could be a good use of miles. Lowest cost on North American routes is now 7500 Avios. Leave enough time for your incoming flight to be late as I’m unsure if BA can add to same ticket to protect you even if loads of airlines including IB put their own flight numbers on Alaskan flights as codeshare.

I also think I saw somewhere that Alaskan will let you on an earlier flight same day subject to space – could be worth checking.

• Charlie says:

Have you tried Oakland? I remember seeing plenty of availability for Oakland last year. However it is an older aircraft which I thought was a bit shabby (e.g. partition did not go up in my seat).

5. Lottietiger says:

OT looking for some advice please. I don’t have any BA status at the moment and my year end is April. After April I have enough flights booked to get me to silver in the following TP year. Is it worth me getting to bronze before my tier year ends in April, I need 1 more flight, or does it not make a difference. I’m pretty new to this sorry!

• It doesn’t make much of a difference – you would get Bronze benefits for the flights you’re taking in your next year before you hit Bronze then, so 25% avios bonus and seat selection 7 days in advance. It doesn’t have any effect at all on how quickly you reach Silver.

• Lottietiger says:

Thanks. I guess it’s worth it if I can get a cheap flight as I will not reach silver until October and I’ll get 25% extra avios on my flights prior to then.

• Would depend on how you’re getting the tier points to get silver in your next year, 7 day seat selection could be handy if lots of your flights are on BA before you would get bronze anyway. If you’re getting 560 tier points from say a Qatar return to Asia, then getting bronze this year is probably not worth the time and money

6. rotundo says:

FYI – double points at Shell until 14th February, so 4 avios per litre of V-Power and 2 avios per litre otherwise. https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/doublepoints.html

• Thanks.

• Lady London says:

Pretty sure Shell promos are targeted. You’d get an email for the promotion if you registered your Shell points collection card.

If you are mostly a low value Shell purchaser beware. After longstanding history of getting promotions of extra points for fillups in £10-15 range due to mostly filling up my motorbike for around £10 I just once hired a van and filled it with fuel for around £45. After that every promotion I received wanted £40-45 spend. That much fuel physically won’t fit into my motorbike. It’s taken more than a year for my promotions to go back as far as wanting £25 or so after that one big fill.

• This current promo is open to all.

Count yourself lucky to be targeted, I haven’t had any driving club offers for fill ups in almost a year!

• I’ve had loads of offers, enough to habitually refresh the App
          before heading to the local Shell station as there is usually something sitting there. My fuel buying follows my use of the car which has no discernible pattern, even to me.

Occasionally buy 70l twice a week, other times I buy 20-30l a couple of times a month. Buy VPower anyway so the points are a nice bonus.

7. OT – I have already booked and paid for my room at Mercure hotel southampton. If when I am there I book a breakfast and a dinner and pay separately but have it all charged to the room will that still earn me status points and rewards points? I know in other hotels the answer would be yes, but I need the extra status points and the last thing I want to do is eat there breakfast and dinner and not receive them! employer paid for the room hence me doing it separate.

8. off topic – any views on the Doubletree Bristol, am Hilton Gold.

• Pretty good I think. Stayed there a couple of times, no lounge but good breakfast. Upgraded but not to a suite. Got free parking too which saved £15 I think. Am diamond though, not sure if gold would get it but worth asking.

9. OT – Does Intercon Barclay honour Ambassador re upgrade, club lounge & late checkout? Any offers for joining Ambassador at the moment (the one from Nov has expired IIRC)?

• 4pm check-out is guaranteed. My upgrade was marginal when I was there but the room was still fine.

10. When we stayed last year (as ambassadors), we received room upgrade and took advantage of late check ou, they were also very liberal with drinks vouchers. But I think the lounge is not an ambassador perk, from memory they were trying to upsell at check in for $60 or $80 per night.
    I’d say to not bother with the additional lounge or breakfast costs and use the very nice deli across the street.

• Genghis says:

I’ve never received lounge access from AMB. Got a free breakfast in Nov though.

11. Tom Cook says:

OT – if you go from BA bronze to BA silver is it then possible to reserve seats immediately for flights already booked later in the year?

• Genghis says:

• Tom Cook says:

Thanks G.

We hit silver status with our next flight but have another 6 flights already booked for the remainder of the year so it’d be nice to get the seats blocked out asap.