Nutmeg Avios

Bits: £1300 US Club World deals for Winter, targeted 30% bonus on Virgin miles via Miles Booster

News in brief:

Very good British Airways Club World fares launched for Autumn and Winter travel

British Airways has launched some attractive Club World fares to the US and Canada for Autumn and Winter travel.  These are not being advertised by BA as far as I can see, but they are out there (Trailfinders is promoting them here) and they are bookable via

Here are the headline fares:

New York £1319
Florida (primarily Miami) from £1335
Boston £1345
Toronto £1411
San Francisco £1419
Las Vegas £1449
Los Angeles £1449
Vancouver £1459

The fares are valid for departures on selected dates between 28th October and 14th February 2019.  A Saturday night stay is required (it may even be 7 days depending on route).  The offer is bookable until 28th February.

American Airlines flights are bookable as well as British Airways ones.  You should check which plane type is being used but in many cases you will get a superior seat to Club World.  You receive the same Avios and tier points irrespective of which airline you choose.   Remember that inbound AA flights do not qualify for EU261 compensation if delayed.

“Part Pay With Avios” is also available.  Details of how that works are on here.

Do not book until you have also checked out BA Holidays pricing, booked as a ‘flight and hotel’ or ‘flight and car’.  This often works out even cheaper or can get you a hotel for a nominal extra sum per night.  The BA Holidays Club World page is here.

Virgin Atlantic 350

Virgin Atlantic offering a targeting ‘Miles Booster’ promotion

Virgin Atlantic has brought back its occasional ‘Miles Booster’ promotion with a 30% bonus.  This allows you to buy Virgin Flying Club miles very cheaply if you have a Virgin Atlantic cash or reward booked or have taken one recently.

This offer appears to be targeted to people who were emailed about it by Virgin Atlantic.  I cannot find any reference to the deal on the Flying Club website.  If you were not contacted yesterday then you should assume you are not included.

Miles Booster only works if you have a Virgin Atlantic cash or reward flight booked or have taken one in the last six months.  You are able to buy an additional 200% of the base miles you will earn from the flight for just 1p each.  This gets even cheaper during this promotion.

Click here for details. If you have a New York economy flight booked, for example, you would earn 6,916 base miles from your trip.

Miles Booster allows you to buy up to 13,832 additional miles for just 1p each. Plus, until 9th March 2018, you would get an extra 30% bonus as well.

If you maximised the Miles Booster option for a New York economy flight, you would be able to buy a total of 17,981 Virgin Flying Club miles for just £138.32. That is 0.77p each, which is well worth considering.

You can retrospectively buy miles via Miles Booster for any Virgin Atlantic flights taken in the last six months, cash or reward.  Yes, even previously flown or currently booked redemptions count.  If your trip is in the future, you will not receive your Miles Booster miles under three days after you return.

LAUNCHING MONDAY .... our biggest ever mileage giveaway!
When your IHG Rewards Club points expire, and how to stop it

1. Unsure if the Virgin Booster option is targeted as suggested – reports on vflyer yesyerday suggests its open to all.

I am travelling currently and cant see for sure on my mobile but prehaps someone with a PC ( or better eyes ) could have a look at the “red letters on the miles booster page” where the 30% bonus is allegedly offered to confirm/deny..

• Tracy Regan says:

I received the 30%bonus but my husband didn’t. I assumed it was for everyone so boosted his miles before I realised he didn’t receive the extra miles. Annoying.

• Following a telephone conversation with customer services yesterday, I can confirm it is targeted. The customer services assistant explained it is for people with a minimum number of miles in their account (I had 55k, so it would be interesting to find out what that minimum number is). I was able to claim miles flown in October as part of the Booster promotion.

• Partner had email. 23K in account.

• My wife has 1.3m, no email for her 🙂

• Re. minimum miles – I have over 150k miles and there is no bonus if I try to boost for an upcoming flight… although I am able to pay just for 1x or 2x miles flown as normal. Shame, as I’d been waiting for the bonus…

• Given these data points, it seems it might be for people below a mileage balance, rather than above one. Maybe to encourage people who aren’t already collecting…

• Lady London says:

I can;t remember but I think I have about 20K and no email. I’m really struggling to find an economical way of getting rid of them without paying huge taxes.

• I gave them a call on the off chance that I’d qualify as I recently flew to Hong Kong with Virgin. No go. Without the code on your account you don’t get the 30% bonus. It’s very strange as I’ve about 50,000 miles in the account and have past a future bookings that I would’ve thought would qualify…

2. Is AA 777 Business Seat better than club world?

• Yes, I think most people would say so.

• Yes and no. It’s not better than 62/64 AK on the 747 upper deck, but it’s better in most regards than most BA seats. The issue for BA is all seats vary greatly, not so much on AA. I personally find the CW seat fine, although typically windows lack access unless you easily step over your seat mates legs, aisle seats lack privacy, middle seats just lack, but would be nice for couples that that proximity. AA much more consistent so less care about which seat you get. AA have the so called foot coffin, not a problem for me, but is for some. If like me you spent years flying in economy all the business seats are just great.

3. OT: My partner has been downgraded overnight from an AF business seat to a KL economy seat for a flight departing tomorrow. What’s best to do about this? OLCI opens in less than an hour, my thinking is check in online for the KL flight and try to sort the mess out later when telephone support opens at 9? IIRC compensation should be 75% of sector fare as it is a longhaul flight?

• TGLoyalty says:

They should be able to move them to another flight in business with AF/KL. I wouldn’t OLCI at all.

• That was my first thought but due to reaccommodations resulting from the strike on Driday I a guessing there is no business seats available as the the flight was changed to economy.

• TGLoyalty says:

Sometimes they just move you to the next available flight not always the best option for you. I would phone and speak with someone and not OLCI even then I’d go to a check in desk and tell them what’s happened maybe something can be done if there’s a no show etc

• Thanks, will see what they say when CS opens at 9.

• CS advised to proceed to check in for on the spot opportunities for reaccommodation as nothing was possible at the moment. If situation remains unchanged then my partner can expect to receive a goodwill gesture at checkin and can claim 75% of the fare on return to EDI after ticket has been used.

4. TGLoyalty says:

“You receive the same Avios and tier points irrespective of which airline you choose.”

Only true if it’s a BA codeshare? Or do you get status based bonus on AA flight numbers too?

5. totaltool says:

Flying QATAR next week and want to make sure I get avios rather than Qmiles. Can’t see anywhere to put in BAEC number. Can anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks in advance.

• TGLoyalty says:

I’m sure manage your booking on the Qatar website has it but its hard to find.

I have used Finnair website to manage my bookings for one world airlines in the past but not sure if the rules have changed, worth a try?

• Can be done via Manage My Booking on Qatar (or at least it could, for ANY oneworld booking). Same with Finnair’s site.

• Enter the Manage Booking page, then select “Update passenger details”, which is available on a column on the right side of the page, you should then immediately see the page to enter your FF details

6. Andrew Hall says:

Hi. Does anyone know which Florida airports are included in the BA offer? Struggling to find anything on Orlando. Thanks.

7. Quick OT: managed to get 200EUR value out of the Cat 1-5 Megabonus certificate from Marriott in Amsterdam for King’s Day.

Paired with a 25k redemption the night after (200EUR, so 0.7ppm).

Happy with that, considering I won’t be travelling out of Europe for the forseeable!

Also just finished my Plat challenge, so should be treated OK for upgrade etc.

8. ringingup says:

I would add that there is minimum stay requirement of 7 days!

9. OT. Does anyone know if when the ME3 do their ex europe biz sales to Australia whether the deals apply to one way tickets or only returns? I have manged to book a one way from Sydney to Bangkok and a one way from Bangkok to London with avios for next January but I am hoping for a one way sale to Oz (Brisbane)

• Garuda were doing cheap onevway business class from LHR to BKK so might be worth checking out them as a full or partial solution to your needs.

• That cheap price is no longer available. It’s still showing up at around £814 one way though

10. OT. Currently at CPT. 3 BA 747’s parked up. Anyone any idea why?

• BA flights arrive early in the morning and the planes hang around all day to wait for the return flights home. They definitely have two flights a day and I know that at some points they have three a day so that may explain the three.

• You sure one wasn’t the 777 from LGW?

• Yeah, am sure. I know there’s normally 2, just surprised by the third. Settling in for a CPT-JNB-SYD-AKL routing. Not fun!

• I think some maintenance gets done there too, taking advantage of the 12 hour layover.

11. OT

Some of the readers may have received eBill from Thames Water.

How do you make use of American express without using Bill hop etc?

• Ask them for a paypoint card

• you can also ask BT for a ‘Payment Card’ which can be used with Amex at Coop to pay BT bill.

• That I believe restricts the payment by set amount per period i.e. week, month etc.
        Mine came up nearly £50 a month for 12 months, surely I do not want to visit Paypoint every month. I would much rather use billhop and swallow 3% fees.

• I pay mine twice a year given low cost of capital

• Why not visit once a month ad pre pay all your bills. That’s not onerous at all. I pay water by gas elect.etc and prepay ee for both mobiles by phone. Spoonfeeding we don’t do! If 3% fees work for you..go for it.

12. OT – can the Lloyds upgrade voucher be used for booking a seat for a 13 year old? I am hoping to swoop on some reward seats for Feb half term next year and would need to use the voucher for an extra family member (there is only one combination of 2 4 1 plus upgrade which will work for us). Just wondering if making a separate booking for a child would cause us any issues as they may assume he is travelling alone.

• Just to clarify, the only way we can make this booking is to have 1 adult & 1 child using the 2 4 1, 1 child using the Lloyds voucher and the 2nd adult will be on a flight plus car package.

• Anna, not sure if you’ll see this, but hopefully you’ll check back. Anyway, will the child turn 14 before travel? If so, then yes this is fine. If not, then sadly it won’t work, a ticket can’t ‘appear’ to be unaccompanied even if technically it’s not. The rules are changing in May – you may remember rob doing a piece on it as currently the limit is 12.

13. O/T how come Amex Travel website is so much more expensive than other booking websites?
    Example Google flights showing fare £278 .
    Same flight booked via amex travel comes to £330?

• You’re not comparing like with like.

What’s the difference in live booking price between the airline, Expedia & Amex Travel?

• works other way too, sometimes Amex Travel fares are £20/£30 cheaper than other OTAs

• Graham Walsh says:

When I had to go to Seattle last year with a ew days notice they were £400 approx cheaper than Virgin direct. Also the bucket code on my return meant I could upgrade to UC from Econ using points. The Virgin fare/code was lowest of the low.

14. OT, Do/can you get a bonus for referring the Lloyd’s avios card?

15. OT. I’m looking to book Gatwick to Melilla via Madrid with BA for 3 friends. Only one has BA Exec membership, other two not bothered, is it possible to have total Avios etc credited for the 3 of us to one individuals membership? Thanks

16. totaltool says:

Sorry if this is a daft question but I am flying with mrs totaltool on qatar. i have BEAC account but mrs t does not. can I claim avios for both of us or does she need to open a BEAC account (and presumably a QATAR one as well)?

17. Any recommndation of using hotels in either Europe or Asia for Travel Package, I have one expiring in next couple of months. Tying to decide and book flights with Amex Travel offer.

Domes of elounda marriott in Greece is on radar. Any other worthwhile place which is also fun for kids too?

Genghis, was that you who mentioned about Borneo? Looking for ideas.

• I mentioned Phu Quoc. Looks great but not suitable for us currently.

• Jeremy i says:

We’re also looking for recommendations for using our Travel Package. Phy quoc looks amazing (and goes up to cat 6 shortly ) but the flights are a killer as TUI direct flights ending this month for the season. What about the Tuscany resort or one of the cat 5 or 6 Thai options ? Anyone got any experience of these Marriott properties or other good uses of the TP? Cheers and happy Saturday everyone … Jeremy

• Just checked that hotel for MTP, seems website is giving some error.

• I first went to Phu Quoc back in about 2000/01 and it was like Samui 20 years before that. I loved the place but for whatever reason, I haven’t been back. However, I was trying to get out there for Easter.

Flights are easier from Thailand on Bangkok Airways (credit to Etihad mileage) from at least Bangkok and Chiang Mai direct. Far easier than going via Saigon unless you want to of course.

JW Marriott with crazy buildings and colours is a year old I think and a suite type room was £1800 for the week, though payable as 40 billion dong of course. I thought it offered good value if you had kids too big for sharing a bed but too young for their own rooms.

Of course the old Phu Quoc has gone forever and memories will be all I have left of that place but even if it is not Samui from 30 years ago, then I’ll take Samui from 20 years ago as that was far better than Samui of today.

Hopefully back for a week just before Christmas or next Easter.

• Roger, there is a brand new Marriott opening in Bangkok next month. It is only category 5. It is on Suriwongse Road which is sin city but far down the other end closer to the river but not on it.

18. Thanks, Genghis.

Just hope that MTP can be used for all SPG hotels too and very soon (and without affecting earning spg points negatively)

19. Jeremy i says:

Sorry me again. Does anyone (Rob? Anika?) have any contacts at Etihad. I’ve hit a brick wall with CS re no power in the first apartment AUH-LHR, meaning the bed and seat didn’t work. They offered 10k Etihad miles which I thought was very low and unfair but now not responding to my request for a better offer. Any tips / escalation routes greatly appreciated ! Thanks Jeremy

• Address an email to the CEO, a very nice Irish lady will likely respond if she is still there. She likes to resolve problems, but much to cheaply IMO (sounds like maybe you got her already) so don’t show too much enthusiasm for her initial suggestions. I thought she was offering me 50k EG miles, turned out to be 15k!

• I threatened court and after a number of attempts, I finally got someone to understand that my lawyers bill would be nothing short of £10k, their in house might be half that at least, my time would eclipse the sum of both of those with ease and before they knew it they would be staring at a £50k plus cost when it would cost perhaps two free flights to get them out of the problem they created.

Let us say that common sense prevailed.