Hilton

Bits: last day to book Accor hotels for 6000 bonus Avios, 20% bonus on transfers to Etihad Guest

News in brief:

Last chance to make Accor bookings for their ‘6000 Avios’ promo

A few weeks ago we wrote about the new Accor (Novotel, Ibis, Sofitel, Pullman, Mercure etc) promotionYou can earn 6,000 Avios or €120 of vouchers for completing 3 x 2-night stays.

TOMORROW – 6th March – is the last day to make bookings that count towards this promo.  You have until 2nd September to actually complete your stays.

If you need to book a few two-night hotel stays for the coming weeks then take a look at my original article on how to take part.  Registration is required.

The flagship Sofitel St James is pictured below.

20% bonus on transfers to Etihad Guest

Etihad Guest has launched another of its occasional transfer bonuses.

This is not a bad time to take advantage.  The recent ‘devaluation’ of Etihad Guest actually made business class flights between London and Abu Dhabi cheaper (read more here) – albeit taxes went up – and it is unlikely that we will see further changes for a couple of years.

Details of the transfer bonus are here.

For UK residents, the key transfer partners which will trigger a 20% bonus are:

Le Club AccorHotels

IHG Rewards Club

World of Hyatt

Club Carlson

Hilton Honors

Shangri-La Golden Circle

HSBC Premier

It is important to note who is NOT on the list – Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest and American Express Membership Rewards.  You will not get a bonus from these three schemes.

Transfers must be made by 31st March.  The bonus will be added in a separate transaction within 15 days of the end of the promotion.

You can find out more here.

PS.  It is worth noting that Etihad Guest is no longer a Heathrow Rewards partner

Bits: ignore Iberia's Amex transfer bonus, Avios payment for seats selection
LAST DAY: Win 250,000 Qmiles with Qatar Airways!

BA
BA

Comments

1. Cheshire Pete says:

Thanks for the reminder, didn’t realise the Accor promo was ending for bookings made as soon as tomorrow! On a related note I was looking at their 3 for 2 promo and in places such as Sofitel couldn’t see any difference in prices when booking with or without the promo applied. Was scratching my head then realised you get a 33% discount anyhow when booking over 3 nights, so it more or less makes the 3 for 2 redundant at some premises, especially if you want more flexibility to cancel as the 3 for 2 is a lock in.

• Yes, you always need to be careful with hotel pricing. I had a reader email the other day who was annoyed he had booked in the Hilton January sale only for the hotel to drop in price as soon as the sale ended …..

2. Northern Lad says:

Careful when making transfers from HSBC. Their systems cannot handle ‘large’ transfers and you’re only ‘guaranteed’ for amounts upto 99,998 points (49,999 Miles) to be successful.

If you try higher, the system will allow you to believe you’ve successfully sent upto the ‘limit’, which appears to be 999,998 points (499,999 Miles). This amount will ‘process’ but you will receive only 10% of what you’re expecting i.e. they knock a digit off!

The only way I believe you can see is to check your balance pre and post transaction.
    I cannot see how to retrieve a statement of transactions bar on monthly credit card statement.

Transactions have taken between 6 and 16 days (no consistency) to arrive but are dated the transaction date when they eventually do.

To ensure you successfully transfer (and qualify for the bonus) break any transfers down into chunks no larger than 99,998 points (49,999 miles).

• New Card says:

Thanks – sounds like best practice is to keep the number of HSBC points under 6 digits for each transfer.

I don’t think this is always a problem every time becaus a few months ago I transferred just under 200k HSBC points (under 100k avios) and it went through fine without any problems.

But after your post I’m not sure I’d risk it next time!

3. mark2 says:

OT
    re Marriott transfers.
    You can transfer more than 50,000 points to someone else if they need it for a booking they have made without having all the points.
    Has anyone ever done this and then cancelled the booking? Since the transfer is manual it seems unlikely that the transfer would be reversed.

• Genghis says:

I thought you could transfer 50k anyway pa, free for Gold/Plat?

• mark2 says:

Yes you can, but I want to transfer 60,000 for a booking which is allowed but apparently their system is having problems at present.
        It was more of a general query about large transfers between accounts. I wondered if one could make a booking, transfer in the points then cancel the booking in true HfP manner.

• Genghis says:

I didn’t even realise that was a thing. Thanks
          “Members who are transferring points in order to satisfy a specific award may exceed the 50,000 limit up to the amount needed to satisfy the reservation.”
          I transfer via SPG (between wife and I) to avoid that anyway and have never had a need to transfer outside of that.

• mark2 says:

Yes, SPG is the way within the household, but this is for my nephew and our house is already very crowded!

4. cnkguy says:

Thanks man, really helpful

5. Michael Jennings says:

I have just over 7000 Etihad Guest points that are about to expire. I can’t use them for an airline redemption right now. Can anyone suggest anything else I might be able to do with them? Can they be transferred anywhere else, or spend on anything worthwhile?

6. Cate ⛱️ says:

Regarding Etihad does any one know how sensible the tax/fees are and, can still do points and cash? Thanks.

7. Rob, will you awarded 4000 avios per return flight or 4000 avios for 2 retun flights? If so, you wrote 4.000 avios per return flight.

8. Mohammed Khan says:

OT

I have Etihad points that expire in April/May. Could I book flights and then cancel to get the points back to my account but with a longer expiration date?