Bits: Radio 4, earn Hyatt points with home rentals, 80% bonus buying Hilton points

News in brief:

The Radio 4 documentary

In the end it turned out that there was a fair bit of me in the Radio 4 documentary, Inside the World of the Frequent Flyer, broadcast yesterday.

If you have 28 minutes to spare, you can listen to it here.

Everyone seems to have found the content good.  It is fair to say that feedback on the narration style was ‘mixed’ – it depends on whether you see it as dumbing down or a fun way of presenting the topic to a generalist audience.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about, have a listen.

Earn bonus World of Hyatt points with Oasis home rentals

Last August, Hyatt bought a minority stake in home rental group Oasis.  Oasis is a collection of:

….. over 2,000 personally vetted homes in prime neighborhoods worldwide like Rome, Barcelona and Punta del Este (Uruguay). Enjoy the authentic feel of a residence with the hotel-like amenities you are accustomed to like in person check-in and checkout, fresh linens, luxury toiletries, internet and a personal concierge. Whether you’re traveling with your family, have a longer stay in mind or need a little more space, consider Oasis home rentals to meet your travel occasion needs.

Oasis has now been integrated into the World of Hyatt loyalty programme.  Until 30th June, you will receive 1,000 bonus World of Hyatt points – which I would value at £10 – per night at an Oasis property.  No registration is required.

Here are the other World of Hyatt benefits at Oasis:

• Earn 5 Base Points per eligible dollar spent on qualifying stays at Oasis
  • Elite members earn Bonus Points on eligible spend at Oasis
  • Elite members enjoy a welcome amenity at check-in
  • Enjoy late checkout—2 p.m. for Discoverists and Explorists; 4 p.m. for Globalists—upon request (subject to availability at some locations)
  • Enjoy a $200 stay credit toward an Oasis stay for every 15,000 points you redeem

Oasis nights also count towards achieving World of Hyatt status which could be a valuable extra benefit for anyone seeking Hyatt status but struggling with the lack of European properties.

80% bonus for buying Hilton Honors points

As this offer has been running for ages already, it is worth a reminder that until 16th March, Hilton Honors is offering an 80% bonus when you purchase 10,000+ points.

The Hilton ‘buy points’ page is here.

Regular readers of Head for Points will know that I tend to value Hilton points at 0.3p each.  You are paying 0.39p ($800 / £566 for 144,000) here so the maths does not look good.  That said, the strengthening of Sterling means this is a better deal than when it last ran in December.

Five star Hilton, Conrad and Waldorf-Astoria hotels typically run to 80,000 points per night.  In this sale you would be paying $444 for 80,000 points which is often more than you would be paying for a five star in a major city.  This is not a bargain.

However, Hilton Honors IS a decent deal at cheaper point levels.   To dig out my ‘usual suspect’ examples, the Hampton by Hilton in Sheffield, for example, is 10,000 points per night on most nights.  At 0.39p per point you would be paying roughly £39 per night if you bought the points.  That is a 61% discount on the typical nightly rate of £100.  Hampton properties include free breakfast as well.

On the other hand, the Hilton Sheffield is 30,000 points per night.  You would be paying around £117 for those points which is the same as the typical £125 cash cost – and you would earn points and miles back on the cash rate.

If you just buying a handful of points to top off your account, the price per point doesn’t matter anyway.  If you a few thousand short of a redemption then this is a decent opportunity to buy them.

Club Carlson rebrands as Radisson Rewards - what is new?
Catch me on Radio 4 at 11am in "Inside the World of the Frequent Flyer"

Comments

1. Michael C says:

I don’t suppose anyone listened to Murder in the Lucky Holiday Hotel, also on Radio 4?
    The narrator and style reminded me of it!

2. Sandgrounder says:

OT- IHG Creation Free Night
    I have cancelled the card after the anniversary date but before the next statement date. I know from the article last year that this should be ok, but has anyone actually done this, and if so, how long did the night take to come through?

• FlyingChris says:

Likewise keen to know the answer to this. Is there a typical time for the free night to arrive after either the anniversary, or statement date – or is it very much YMMV as it’s Creation. Got a holiday planned 6-7 weeks after anniversary date, or 3-4 weeks after statement and wondering if there’s any hope of it arriving in time to be used.

• Andy_H says:

OT, but IHG Creation-related
        I currently have the free IHG card, but see value in the Premium card. I’m wondering if I would get the Premium Sign-up bonus for upgrading from free to Premium? Also not sure if this is best approached as a new card application or if there is another way to go about it? Thanks

• Genghis says:

It’s treated as a separate product by Creation so no upgrading / transfer of credit limits etc

• Genghis says:

But you would get the bonus on the black card. I’ve held black and white concurrently

• Andy_H says:

Excellent, thanks Genghis.

3. Clive says:

OT-ish: I’m finding ITA Matrix brings up some QR fares which then don’t work on the Qatar website, as the route then generates either an error or a higher price. Is Matrix showing results which aren’t really available or am I doing something wrong…? 🙂

• The Qatar booking system seems to reject certain flight combos, in that if you select a certain outbound then it will no longer offer the cheapest inbound on certain dates. This is a continual problem every time I do a sale article.

It is possible that ITA just shows the lowest filed price whilst not showing or knowing what rules Qatar is applying when you try to combine them.

• Michael C says:

Along these lines, yesterday I found GRU-LHR-GRU for 850 GBP (econ.) on SkyScanner with TAP, but on the airlines site the cheapest was twice that!

4. rams1981 says:

OT anyone aware of any good fares in business to Colombo ex eu? London fares are incredibly pricey.

5. Optimus Prime says:

OT: 100 Marriott points for tweeting an image with the following words: “Fans on the road… #RewardsPoints #LeafsFansTravel”

• Stevie G says:

Thank you. I’d sooner 1000 points but happy with 100 for 10 seconds work and a random pic.

6. OT I’ve looked at Man-Tfs and lon-tfs with BA next February. Prices from 480 return. Seriously? Will have to book Ryanair instead. Difference is too much for me.

• If that is half term then not surprising. Standard pricing for all the ski routes as well.

• Picked up outbound Ryanair for £92 single person passenger. Will book the return flight when it becomes available. But anticipate significant savings compared to BA.

With those sort of prices it’s almost like they’re telling me that my Avios and me are worthless!!

• Have a look at October half term prices, around £800 from Gatwick to Tenerife in economy!

• Alex W says:

Uuurgh. I can’t think of anything worse than Brits abroad in Lanzagrotty etc. If the prices are so high why not spend the same or less and go somewhere a bit further / cheaper / nicer / not swamped with lads on tour.

• Depends on where precisely you go. Obviously !

• Exactly – hence we are going to the US and Caribbean in August (including return CW redemption seats) for the price of a fortnight in a European resort.

• I don’t wish to do a transatlantic flight with my kids 🙂

• Lady London says:

You could try Lufthansa or another airline that is not affected by uk school holidays.

• We did Lufty to Salzburg 2 years ago – still £300 each IIRC with an overnight in Sheraton FRA required too.

• I find that that Munich is a better option and then the train. Even managed Avios seats for Feb half term.

Vienna is often overlooked. Avois is generally good even at school hols and the trains, especially the business class product on OBB is superb. I am looking at this for next year

• I was watching the same. Ridiculous. Went for an Avios redemption instead and got the 4x seats I wanted.. win. And I can pretend I got really good value for my avios (£2,400 flights!)

• or even £3,200.. ahem.

• i considered using avios, but an alternative carrier had a flight for £92 single. I can’t justify using 10,000 or 12,500 Avios plus £35 in this circumstance.

7. Mikee says:

O/T – ref upgrading Amex Gold to Platinum, does referring myself for the Platinum card to generate a 9k referral bonus + 35k sign-up for Platinum usually work? I see the straight upgrade from Gold to Plat is only 20k.

I recently referred myself for the SPG Amex which triggered a 9k bonus on my Gold card but wondered if it will work again on Plat.

8. I have just listened via player and the narration became really irritating after about 5 minutes. Almost as bad as the current BA safety video which is horrific.

I did laugh when Honolulu was mentioned as I did that tier point run – as a pure tier point run ( well I had 2 nights in HNL) but also as a family vacation starting in Dublin. I also did a run last year to LAS for 6 hours on the strip.

In both cases the fares were very low and the tier points were obtained at less than £1 but I did rack up miles as well.

I won’t do tier points runs now for the sake of it, but I will stretch a family holiday. This year I bagged a CAI – Hawaii with stopovers in London, Amsterdam, Philadelphia and Washington for less than £1200 each.

I can’t see the point at all of chasing status with BA in particular. I have been gold silver and nothing at all with BA and it makes little difference to the sub standard experience.

9. Johnny Tabasco says:

Listened to the show tonight, correct if I’m wrong but did that guy really say that when he lost his Gold Tier status he compared the loss to a bereavement ? that’s a sure fire sign it’s all gone too far. Get a girlfriend mate.