REGISTER NOW for the new Marriott and Starwood promotions starting next week

Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest (now under the same ownership, of course) have unveiled their promotions for Quarter 2.

Starwood and Marriott offers have become closer in recent quarters and now we have reached peak merger – the two offers are identical!

New Marriott Rewards promotion for Spring 2018

The Marriott Rewards promotion

Marriott’s promotion is another variant of MegaBonus.

It offers 750 bonus points per night (which are equal to 250 Starwood Preferred Guest points) for stays between 16th April and 20th July.

There are two catches:

You don’t receive any bonus for your first two nights during the offer period

You must register by 30th June even though the offer runs until 20th July

The maximum bonus you can earn is 36,000 points.  As usual, bookings via a third party online travel agent such as Expedia will not count.

You MUST register in advance via this page of the Marriott Rewards website.

New Starwood promotion for Spring 2018

The Starwood Preferred Guest promotion

SPG’s offer is called ‘More Nights More Starpoints’.

It offers 250 bonus points per night (which are equal to 750 Marriott Rewards points) for stays between 16th April and 20th July.

There are three catches:

You don’t receive any bonus for your first two nights during the offer period

You must register by 30th June even though the offer runs until 20th July

Some hotels are not participating – see the website for details

The maximum bonus you can earn is 12,000 SPG points.

You MUST register in advance via this page of the Starwood website.

Conclusion

These offers are not hugely generous (I value the bonus at under £4 per night) but it does benefit those who are doing long stays, with no pressure to hotel hop every night!

It is worth registering now (Starwood here, Marriott here) in case you forget when a future stay comes along, especially as the promos carry on for three weeks after registration closes.

What are the best Virgin Atlantic airline partner awards you can book?
Last call to earn up to 120,000 Radisson Rewards bonus points - but with a catch

Comments

1. KBuffett says:

The Marriott link doesn’t work for me. It takes me to a page to log into my account. Once I do that, I get the following message:
    A Note About This Promotion
    We’re sorry, but there was an error in directing you to this promotion.
    The reason for this error could be:
    You’re trying to access a miles promotion and are a points-earner, or vice versa
    You are not eligible for this promotion
    This promotion has expired
    Updating your earning preference is fast and easy; simply sign into your account. For all other issues, please contact Marriott Rewards Customer Support.

2. Really disappointing promotion. Far less generous than the current one. As the promotions are identical it means that Marriott stays are once again more rewarding than Starwood.
    As a Platinum member I’ll earn 15 Marriott points per dollar (5 Starwood), compared to just 3 Starwood per dollar (9 Marriott).

I’ll be considering doing a Hilton status match and staying with them for the next few months I think!

3. Mycity says:

Re Starwood, Rob have you heard anything on the rumour on FT that from 16th April transfers to airline miles stop?

Thanks

4. JamesB says:

Rob, any thoughts on the forthcoming changes to Marriott elite status levels this summer and implications to us who are Marriott Gold only via the amex platinum SPG route? The way I read it, it seems likely we will remain gold and therefore almost certainly lose lounge/breakfast from August which will likely require the new lower of two platinum levels.

• AspirationalFlyer says:

I hope not! I booked two stays at JWMs at the weekend (partially on the basis of my Amex derived gold status). Not the end of the world, but I wouldn’t be in any rush to book another stay.

• I hope we don’t lost breakfast and lounge access. Have a Marriott booking in early September and was counting on the breakfast. Only reason I booked room only and chose Marriott over Hilton for a change. If I wasn’t getting breakfast then I’d have booked Hilton for breakfast with gold.

• JamesB says:

The problem at the moment is that it is to good to be true for SPG member who can get Marriott platinum status so much easier than Marriott members due to the status matching between schemses. The new rules will deal with this but it would not make sense unless existing SPG gold changes to new gold too which requires 25 nights if I understand it correctly. Lounge and breakfast require 50 nights (gold) under current Marriott rules so it is probably going to requure the new lower platinum level after the changes. For us on the amex, I guess it will all depend on whether the platinum benefit stays gold or changes to the new lower platinum level. This is the way I am understanding it, apologies if I have got it wrong, the Marriott expers can correct.

• what are your rights etc if you have already booked and you booked because of the benefits listed being ‘guaranteed’ surely this is breech of advertising/contract?

• There will be some sort of crossover period I’m sure, for stays in 2018. As it has been made very clear many times that both existing schemes will end in December 2018 you’d have no claim over a stay next year.

• To be fair the merger has made some serious sweet spots so it was always likely that they were going to be closed. I think the main problem with the status changes is that they look to be on there way mid-year, which would be pretty mean as a lot of people would have already booked. As for airline mile transfers, I think that is just a rumour and would be too big of a change with everything else. Furthermore, I suspect the rate of transfer will decrease as 3to1 is too high. I am currently in the process for transferring all my points over to Marriott as whilst I do not have enough to get another travel package, I will be able to upgrade my voucher to higher categories which was always likely to be the case as Cat 1-5 does not have a great collection.

• The 3:1 won’t change, that would be silly. They only need to ‘sit it out’ until 31st December anyway.

• Cate ⛱️ says:

Yep lot of speculation. Just got this from Amex which is interesting IF the rumor that gold won’t get lounge access is true…

‘We’re not making any changes {…………} to the benefits you receive with your Card’

• Genghis says:

I read this as “you will continue to get SPG Gold but it might not give the benefits what you received before”

• Nothing to do with Amex. In my view you should consider yourself lucky to get any “Marriott Preferred Guest” (as I call it) status from Amex Plat next year.

• Cate ⛱️ says:

To be fair Amex must be at the very short end of this.

• JamesB says:

Why lucky? The card comes with a hefty fee!

• Steve-B says:

Agreed, never really intended to offer a route to Marriott Gold only SPG Gold, I consider it ‘lucky’ given the difference in tier benefits.

Would silly of them to try and re-tier or tweak the tier benefits in-year… surely from 01/2019….

5. Relaxo says:

Got a Facebook message from Marriott saying they are introducing “some exciting changes next week”.

• Pangolin says:

I can get excited by watching a horror movie. That’s not exactly reassuring.

• Perfect excuse to phone Amex, cancel my SPG card, and ask for a pro-rata refund … ?

There’s always time to have one more go at the card right at the end of 2018 if it still exists then! 😉

6. Alex W says:

If Marriott takes away my lounge access and breakfast, then I take away my business. Simples.

7. Andrew S says:

This is really bad timing on the close of the promotion. I’m doing a trip through Europe on my way back to NZ, which includes a 3 night stay in Amsterdam at an SPG hotel before the 20th July, and then a 3 night stay from the 29th July in Venice.

8. OT

As a Marriott Gold member – do I get free breakfast even if I booked via a hotels.com/booking.com type website?

Are there any benefits at Marriott Vacation Clubs?

• JamesB says:

Yes, third party booking respected. However, note that ou do not get the benefits at resorts. There is now some future uncertainty as we have been discussing above. Hopefully this will be resolved next week.

9. O/T – haven’t seen Harry post in a while – what’s happened?!

10. Can’t remember with Marriott but do Points stay also qualify like at Hilton for the promotional points?

• Cate ⛱️ says:

I’ve just checked mine as I booked a points stay last week. We did get the 2000 promotional points for a paid stay but nothing for the booking made with points.

11. George says:

I am an SPG Gold and matched to Marriott when the crossover started, but I was just thinking about the Ritz-Carlton side of the operation, that I never bothered with. I tried to create a new account with them but they correctly detected that I am a Marriott Rewards member and couldn’t proceed. Am I to understand that having a Marriott Rewards account is enough to be recognised as a Gold and be extended all the relevant benefits, for Ritz-Carlton’s purposes? (so the fact that you’re not registered with RC is not important)

• Doreen says:

You will not gain much as a Marriott Elite apart from points & night credit at a Ritz Carlton – there is no access to Lounge/Club unless paid for, possibly an upgrade, but not guaranteed.