BA

Bits: 20% off BA wine redemptions, 4x Accor points at new Novotel Heathrow, new Miles & More / Economist offer

News in brief:

20% off selected British Airways Avios wine redemptions

ba.com has a range of wine, beer, champagne and spirits redemptions available, if you have more Avios than you can realistically use for flights.

At the high end, you can redeem 134,800 Avios for six bottles of Dom Perignon champagne.   If you are really pushing the boat out, 29,800 Avios will get you a bottle of Louis Roederer Cristal.

That said, I thought a more interesting one was spending 24,000 Avios for a pack of three different NV champagnes – Bollinger, Veuve Clicquot and Laurent Perrier.

Whilst prices for these brands move around a lot, you seem to be getting around 0.55p per Avios.

This isn’t great.  I would want to be getting double that for a flight redemption if possible.

However, at the moment, there is a special offer.

Via this page, ba.com is offering a 20% discount on various wine packages.  Here is what you can get:

• Big Red Dozen (was 18,100 Avios / now 14,400 Avios)
  • Celebration Dozen (was 19,600 Avios / now 15,600 Avios)
  • Prosecco Dozen (was 22,300 Avios / now 17,800 Avios)
  • Deluxe Mix Dozen (was 18,200 Avios / now 14,500 Avios)
  • New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc Dozen (was 22,700 Avios / now 18,100 Avios)
  • Everyday Mix Six (was 9,000 Avios / now 7,200 Avios)
  • Deluxe Mix Six (was 10,000 Avios / now 8,000 Avios )
  • Prosecco Six (was 11,900 Avios / now 9,500 Avios)
  • Everyday Red Six (was 9,300 Avios / now 7,400 Avios)
  • Everyday White Six (was 9,000 Avios / now 7,200 Avios)

All orders are fulfilled by Laithwaites.  Prices include delivery.

Even with a 20% discount on the usual number of Avios required, this is not going to be a great value redemption.  However, if you have an Avios account – perhaps with a family member – with a small balance then this is a decent way of using it up.

The 20% discount applies to orders placed by 28th June.   The page to order is here.

Redeem Avios points for wine

Get quadruple Accor points at the new Novotel Heathrow

We wrote about the new Novotel at Heathrow, on Bath Road, a few weeks ago – see here.  It is a funky looking hotel in the old BAA head office building.

Accor is currently offering QUADRUPLE base points if you stay at the new Novotel Heathrow.  This is very generous.

You usually earn 2.5 base points per €1 spent at a Novotel.  This is worth 5 Eurocents off a future booking or 2.5 Avios if converted to Iberia Plus (you only get 1.25 Avios per €1 if converted to BA!).

Even if you had no Accor status, you would receive 10 points per €1 under this offer.  That is worth a 20% rebate on the cost of your stay if you use the points for Accor credit.  Alternatively, you would be getting 10 Avios per €1 in Iberia Plus, so roughly 11.5 Avios per £1 spent at the hotel.

This offer is a bit messy.  You MUST register via this page of the Accor website.  You can also book the Novotel via the booking box which appears after registration, but that doesn’t appear mandatory.

You must book and stay by 15th July to receive quadruple points.

The registration link is hereThe hotel home page is here.

New Miles & More miles offer with The Economist

As Miles & More miles are harder to collect in the UK than Avios, it’s worth taking a look at the current promotion with The Economist.  This is – I think – the most generous we have ever seen.

If you subscribe by 31st May you can earn up to 12,000 Miles & More miles depending on whether you want to read the magazine digitally, on paper or both.

There are three options:

Print Only or Digital Only for £145 each: 9,600 miles

Print and Digital for £179: 12,000 miles

You are technically paying 1.5p per mile when subscribing to either the print or the digital version – and in both cases you will obviously get the magazine on top.  This is too much money per mile if you are not at all interested in reading The Economist, but if you were to buy a subscription anyway this is a great deal.

If you are self-employed you should also be able to write off the subscription as a business expense.  This means, for a 40% taxpayer, you are well under 1p per mile which is very good.

The page to subscribe is here.

Get 2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin miles with the FREE Tesco Mastercard
Review of the InterContinental Sandton Towers, Johannesburg

IHG
BA

Comments

1. pauldb says:

New BA route to Durban announced, 3x a week from Oct 29th. Can’t see any avios availability yet but presume the flush is coming, so get planning:

2. Stu N says:

OT but Accor related. I have just over 2,000 Accor points that expire at the end of next month. No plans to stay so
    (1) can I convert them to a €40 voucher without booking a related stay
    (2) Do I have to have a stay booked as well?
    (3) Can the stay be later in the year – i.e. after points expiry date?

• Peter K says:

1. Looking on the accor website, no.
      2. It seems yes.
      3. Yes.

• Mark says:

Watch out for this too – if you try to cancel & rebook later, the points will have vanished very quickly. I got caught out that way, but Accor did reinstate when I asked nicely!

But you can extend the expiry date via their Club Opinions scheme. (Oh yes you can!)

• Alan says:

(4) Sign up to their “opinions” survey site, complete a survey and extend the life of your points.

• Stu N says:

Ah, forgot about that option. I’ll give it a go at weekend but vaguely remember trying that and it didn’t work.

I also tried and failed to get the “neat trick” to transfer balances below threshold to IB via auto convert….

• Alan says:

Agree it extends expiry, but can take months to come through (plus I find I’m often screene out or offered a much longer survey for a piddling number of points). Eventually got it sorted and seem to be posting now, but sadly not much of a ‘quick fix’

3. OT – Just to continue a question asked yesterday re using two PP cards to get 3-4 people into a lounge, I asked at the TXL lounge (is it the worst PP lounge?!), and the lady said she’d be happy to let in me +3 if I had two PP cards in my name…

• Rash says:

Thanks for checking. I’ll report back if Manchester Escape lounge have any issues with this on the weekend

• Alan says:

I’ve done it twice now – caused a bit of confusion the second time but they allowed it. Both times I was bringing two guests so let them put me + 1 guest on one card and me + 1 guest on another – so they got 4 lounge entries for 3 people. I didn’t try chancing my arm to do it any differently (partly as it didn’t make any difference to me!) but would be nice if a lounge would allow 4 people over 2 cards.

4. The champagne deal is terrible value. If you wait for a sale at one of the supermarkets (often in the pre-Christmas run up), Veuve, Bollinger and LP NV can be had for no more than £25 a bottle. In the case of LP and Veuve, sometimes less, and I’ve even got Bollinger for around £21 a bottle. On the basis of £25 a bottle each, that makes the 24,000 for a three pack around 0.31p per Avios.

5. Cheshire Pete says:

Does the Accor x4 offer work on existing bookings?

6. Roger I* says:

LHR-DUR: 🙂

Daytime flight back: 🙂

Which LHR terminal: T3 like CPT or T5 like JNB?

Are direct flights loaded? Just tried revenue booking for November and only connections are bookable.

7. Gulz says:

Got ‘the letter’ from MBNA today stating that their partnership with Virgin is coming to an end. Can continue using the card as normal until end of June. Further info will be sent by 15th June.

• KevMc says:

Shame. I was hoping it would last a bit longer. Guess I have about 7-8 weeks to hit £10k then…

• Alan says:

Ditto same letter. They were at pains to point out the card & benefits hadn’t changed yet – was a bit unclear as to whether the change itself was actually coming as of 15/6/18 or just notification of the change. I’m still due 2 PE for E vouchers (for what they’re worth!) so will see if they arrive – TBH I’d prefer they didn’t and I got cash compensation instead, although suspect that’s unlikely!

8. Roger I* says:

Thanks, signol and N.

9. Ammar says:

OT – any links for the upgrade to platinum from a Gold PRG card around?

• Alan says:

Yes, its in yesterdays commnets on the “Compare the cards” article

10. Grimz says:

OT – I have opted out of transferring my Avios to BA from Avios.com to allow me to spend the Avios I have in my BA household account from other family members. I called Avios.com and was told I could transfer my Avios to BA up until the 20th Nov.
    I thought this might be useful info for some readers of HFP.

11. JamesB says:

OT: Etihad out at Edinburgh…Emirates in, daily from October.

• CV3V says:

I was surprised at that but i think the Emirates brand is so strong it will bring in the business. Also take it as an indication that they wont go to 3 flights per day out of Glasgow.

Will be good to find out what time the flight is at as EDI will be bursting at the seams for 2 hrs before departure when you add this into the existing footfall.

• JamesB says:

Times are rubbish, still middle of the night connections GMT so Glasgow wins there with the f
        double daily. Will be interesting to see if Glasgow stays double daily, a 773 is a lot of extra seats considering Etihad was not daily and just an a330. If EDI is a success I wonder if we might see it go triple daily and GLA scrapped.

• Axel says:

Agreed shocking times. Especially for connections to SE Asia, who wants to arrive at 10pm??

Emirates in morning from EDI with Flybe connection through MAN or LHR presently gets you into SE Asia around 3pm.

But for those interested I did match my Etihad Silver to Emirates Silver recently.

• JamesB says:
    • Alan says:

Yeah saw that today – fantastic result for EDI. 777-300ER with F seats too.

12. OT: BA has announced avios payment (part and in full) for seat selection. News coming in on FT. Very few reports thus far but very poor value seen in some examples

• 0.55p, same rate as wine etc. Avoid.

• Lady London says:

Another example of British Airways making us pay for things we got free before. All part of a long range plan by British Airways to achieve these things over a number of years. When their hand moves, always look further in the direction they are pointing.

13. Tilly says:

OT – just wanted to say thank you to Rob/Anika for the fab site and all the wonderful HFP readers for the great advice etc ……

Currently chilling in the Concorde room and a couple of hours away from experiencing our first First! All made possible by the Amex 241 and the advice/point collecting tips on here.

Thank you!

• Stu N says:

Enjoy!

• Anna says:

Fab, where are you going?

• Tilly says:

Toronto. All very exciting. Have my Niagara falls tour all booked.

• mark2 says:

I recommend a wine tour if right time of year, esp Niagara-on-the- Lake.

• It is an amazingly pretty place, agreed.

• JamesB says:

Enjoy, the town itself is junk but the star attraction is so much fun. Be sure to walk along to the edge of the Falls at the top, the feeling is just as awesome as the bottom.

• Anna says:

That’s on my list of options for our 1st First, hopefully the year after next to coincide with our 50th birthdays (and no need for a 3rd seat if grandparents are willing…)

• Alan says:

Enjoy – highly recommend Niagara-on-the-Lake too though – absolutely beautiful.

• Tilly says:

Thanks everyone. We have a winery stop included in the day tour to Niagara on Thursday. I just hope the weather holds out for us.

I also have a friend who lives in Toronto so she will be taking us out at the weekend.

• Tilly says:

@Anna. It was a great experience. Most comfortable flight I have ever taken. Well looked after and was very comfy.

• CV3V says:

Probably too late, but hope you ordered a few cocktails.

• The Original Nick says:

Hi Tilly, I’m currently sat at the HI Ariel bath road for the overnighter to then get a flight to DUB in the morning to then jump on Aer lingus for Toronto. I guess you’re still on the BA flight Sunday night YYZ-LHR? I’ll be in seat 1K. Enjoy your trip.

• Tilly says:

Hi Nick. Yep, still on that flight. We bagged the last pair of seats by the window so way back in 7J and K. Might see you there.

Have a good trip over.

14. Canuck says:

Totally OT: Marriot

I’m looking at getting a Travel package for Hawaii Waikoloa today’s Cat 8 (40k a night).

Would anyone care to speculate whether this becomes a unified Cat 6 (50k) or a unified Cat 5 (35k) property?

Wondering if I could save a few points by getting a travel package one level below in anticipation of the realignment.

• Marcw says:

It’s gonna probably go to Cat 5 (50k). My gut feeling is that Marriot is gonna make a devaluation when transferring to the new categories… so I guess the big chunk of hotels are gonna get more expensive.

• JamesB says:

You should go for the lowest currently 1-5, because you will be able to upgrade it to a higher category at time of redemption provided you have enough points to do so.

• Canuck says:

I did think this, but the upgrade rate (today, 30k per category) will undoubtedly increase after the new category system is in place

15. John says:
  16. wally1976 says:

OT – Curve card – has anyone had their limits increased by Curve without putting in a request? I would request it but don’t want to draw attention to my account! Thanks.

• mark2 says:

• Yes they upped my limit once I had hit my monthly limit which was about 3K – I had been using the card fairly regularly for about 3 months at the time. Up to the 50K annual limit now which I think Rob has said is the max.

• wally1976 says:

Thanks Leo, fingers crossed they’ll do similar for me then 🙂

17. happeemonkee says:

O/T but I received my letter from MBNA today saying the agreement with Virgin Atlantic is coming to an end. Anyone else receive one?

• Graham Walsh says:

Yes received mine today too

• yup

• Mikee says:

Does it mention whether they will honour the upgrade vouchers if triggering the required spend before mid June? I need to spend another £5k between now and next month in that case.

• Graham Walsh says:

No mention. Just saying we will hear from Virgin Atlantic soon too.

• Alan says:

Just says they’ll tell us more by 15th June – doesn’t specifically say the partnership ends on that date or that they won’t honour voucher earning.

• I’d be pretty annoyed if they didn’t honour the vouchers or offer alternative compensation beyond refunding the card fee. Getting points from spend is one thing, but the vouchers are one of the selling points of the card and factor into getting it, well, they did for me at least.

18. Tom1 says:

o/t – BA redemption flights – if I choose class “Business/Club” no availability appears, but if I choose “premium economy”, I can see the Club World availability.
    is that just me being stupid, or is that not right?

also, not sure if this is usual, but seems HKG>LHR in J is wide open in December, but limited every other month.

• Alan says:

It shouldn’t do that, but BA IT is pretty flaky at times! If it lets you book it then run with it 🙂 Sometimes for connecting flights you get more options if picking a stopover and then continuing on the same day.

19. What is likely to happen if you have already signed up for the other UK Promo 2x/3x points ?
    Offers can’t be combined it says.

• You get the highest offer – not sure if it is in the rules this time but it usually is with Accor offers.