Bits: 75% off a £20 mytaxi voucher with Groupon, Tesco / LEGO Avios deal, back at Hilton Bournemouth

News in brief:

Good Groupon deal: 75% off your next mytaxi ride

There is a good deal on Groupon at the moment from London taxi app mytaxi.  For £5, new and existing customers can get £20 of mytaxi credit.

The website description is not very well written.  The deal is not just for new users.  I bought a voucher on Friday and applied it to my existing and heavily used mytaxi account and it processed OK.

The small print states that the credit expires on 31st July 2018 (when you redeem it actually says 1st August) and is limited to one code per person.  You can, however, buy a further 10 as gifts.

The code is available for immediate use once you have paid.  The credit is used in full against your next ride so be careful – you won’t get the full £20 of value if you use it for a short trip.

The Groupon deal is here.

mytaxi

New Tesco Direct / LEGO offer

Tesco Direct has brought back its Tesco Clubcard bonus deal with a large selection of LEGO which gives you a chance to pick up Avios or Virgin Flying Club miles along with the toys.

Until 14th May you will get:

• 500 extra Clubcard points (1200 Avios, 1250 Virgin miles) when you spend £30+
  • 1000 extra Cubcard points (2400 Avios, 2500 Virgin miles) when you spend £60+

Full details in this Shopper Points article.

Hilton Bournemouth

Back at Hilton Bournemouth …..

I reviewed the new(ish) Hilton Bournemouth last year – see here.  Over the Bank Holiday weekend I went back, taking the family this time.

After another three days there, I want to repeat that this is an excellent hotel and, by the standards of UK seaside hotels, a minor miracle.

I didn’t get a suite upgrade this time but they had arranged interconnecting rooms for us which were as pleasantly decorated.  As a Hilton Honors Diamond we got access to the decent Executive Lounge and free breakfast in the restaurant.  A Hilton Gold would get free breakfast.

I also got to try the swimming pool this time.  With a depth of 1.2m it is just right for older kids (my 7-year old is 1.4m) and there is a connected jacuzzi.  The pool was heated and warmer than 90% of hotel pools I have used.

The only thing I would say is that the rooftop bar – which I only saw in darkness last year as it was October when we went – is a bit less impressive in daylight.

The location remains EXCELLENT.  You are two minutes walk to the pier and beach.  If you can’t face the Bank Holiday crowds there is plenty of other stuff to do such as the excellent Russell-Cotes museum and gallery and, if you get the bus to Poole from the pier, boat trips around Sandbanks, Brownsea Island and Poole Harbour.

And the great benefit of a points redemption, of course, is that it can be cancelled at short notice should the Bank Holiday weather not prove to be as pleasant as it was last weekend!  The Hilton Bournemouth website is here.

How to earn SPG or Marriott points when you fly Delta, Emirates and China Eastern
Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss

Comments

1. “The pool was heated and warmer than 90% of hotel pools I have used.”

I actually find most hotel pools too small and far too warm to have a proper swim in.”

2. Also by hotel standards the gym is outstanding. Watt bikes in a hotel gym anywhere else?

3. JamesB says:

OT Bit: Can anybody confirm Rob’s experience that amex Harrods offers no longer work for gift card purchases?

• TGLoyalty says:

In store should work fine.

Ive triggered online before but not tried this time.

• JamesB says:

I’m a bit spooked that it didn’t work for Rob last time he tried. In absence of any contradictory experience I will opt for thd 3yr warranty at J Lewis or the 3000+ HR points: a bird in the hand etc.

• JamesB says:

To add claritt to that last comment, I was planning to buy an ipad with the vouchers

4. Drolma-la says:

My last MyTaxi Groupon deal proved to be a false saving when the MyTaxi driver managed to stretch a ride from Covent Garden to Paddington into a £30+ fare, making the real cost of the ride the same as what I would have expected to pay at the most without the voucher. But the Groupon aspect of the deal worked a treat.

• Lady London says:

Surely you would have said something to the driver whilst in the taxi, about the route he had chosen? Please explain how you dealt with the issue.

5. Anthony says:

We stayed at the Hilton Bournemouth during the Easter holidays. It’s one of my favourite UK hotels. We also booked interconnecting rooms. Although we were Hilton Gold, we were given complimentary lounge access when I asked. I also agreed a late for one of our rooms.

6. Roger says:
  7. the streets says:

OT but hilton related: Ive tried countless times this weeks to send hilton points from one account to another but no points ever move. I receive the confirmation receipt and thats it. I spoke to hilton yesterday and they said they can’t manually move it over the phone and to keep trying online.. not sure what else to do

8. Anonymous says:

Re myTaxi being “limited to one code per person. You can, however, buy a further 10 as gifts.” Can the 10 gift groupon vouchers be applied to the same account? Would I be able to use any number of those on the same trip (eg 4 of them to reduce a £75 Gatwick transfer to effectively £20)?

• rams1981 says:

One code per journey I believe

• No, but could go on your partners or kids account, on a fresh account if you swap the SIM in your phone or have a spare etc.

9. That advert for Allen and Jain is there again today, but whats with the one for ‘Healthcare Boxers’? Magnets?

• That’s based on your browsing history 🙂

• Lady London says:

The ad for “Healthcare Boxer” complete with picture, can’t based based on your browsing history. I’m getting it too, and I’m Lady London and I can assure you I have not been browsing anything remotely related to these boxers.

• Lumma says:

I got adverts for a gay cruise on hfp once a while back. Certainly not related to my browsing history

• Sandgrounder says:

I am getting adverts in German for golf and credit cards.

• ankomonkey says:

I’m getting ads in Turkish language. I don’t speak/read a word of it…

10. Anyone happy to share a referral code for my taxi? Thanks!

11. Bought two boxes of Lego for £30 each. Will see how the reselling goes…

• Chris A says:

I’ve still got a lot of stock of Lego, Pandline phones, Now TV boxes and the odd printer cartridge to get rid of before I can partake in this offer!

• Yvonne M says:

Now TV boxes fly out of the door if you post them on freecycle (even after removing the free viewing vouchers) I think we gave away 11 to some really lovely people.

• I’ve managed to get rid of all the Now TV boxes and all the ink cartridges, but if I get any more Lego I think my boyfriend is going to explode!
          I think I need to treat him to another almost in Boston tea party in BA First again soon…

• Do you sell them on eBay?

The eBay/PayPal selling fees always seem to ruin the calculations for me unless you manage to sell on eBay for more than you buy for in tesco.

• Sometimes eBay, sometimes Shpock, sometimes on the residents Facebook group of my high-rise building!

12. Lady London says:

Good tip about the “by the standards of UK seaside hotels, [the Hampton Bournemouth is… ] a minor miracle. If you think Bournemouth is a test of the standards of UK seaside hotels, wait till you try Blackpool. Luckily if anyone’s interested, Hampton are building one in Blackpool too. I do have to go to Blackpool once or twice a year, so I can’t wait.

• xcalx says:

Always stay at the Preston Marriott when visiting Blackpool. Would never consider the Hilton due to it seen as the UKs worst Hilton. No lounge but free breakfast and a couple of drinks vouchers for golds.

13. Darren says:

OT,
    Myself and my wife both have PRG Amex charge cards and are about to cancel both. Is the Platinum upgrade for 20,000 MR still available with the change from charge to credit? Can’t find a link on my acc.

Is there a better strategy for maximising points?

14. We’ve now got mytaxi in Nottingham and upon using them with their 50% off for the fist month that they are in cooperation with the city council and only use Black cabs. The normal fare on our hackney cabs is about £2.00 at least more expensive than the private firms and they are always reluctant to turn on the heating in the back.
    So we used them for the first month but I then deleted the app.
    I’ll stick to Uber and use my Tesco Clubcard points to get 3 times the value