Last chance for a discount on SPG and IHG points

Last chance to get a 35% discount buying Starwood points

Tomorrow, 31st May, is your last chance to pick up Starwood Preferred Guest points at a discount.

You can currently buy Starwood Preferred Guest points at 35% off in a new offer – the link is here.  30,000 SPG points will cost you $682.50 (£516).

30,000 SPG would convert into 90,000 Marriott points.  This could be a good deal when you remember that NO Marriott or Starwood hotel will cost more than 60,000 points per night if booked between August and December (stay whenever in 2019).

This is also a way of buying airline miles in schemes that do not sell miles directly, such as Lufthansa Miles & More.  Starpoints transfer at 1:1 to most airlines and you receive a 5,000 mile bonus when converting 20,000.  You need to do the maths but buying SPG points at 35% off could work out.

You need to do that via this page before 31st May.

Buy Starwood Preferred Guest points at a discount

…. and your last chance for an 80% IHG Rewards Club bonus

You can also, until 31st May, buy IHG Rewards Club – the InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza etc scheme – points with a bonus of up to 80%.

The page to buy points is here – log in and see what is available.

This is not the most generous offer IHG has had, and it is also staggered which is unusual:

• Buy 5,000-19,000 points, get a 40% bonus
  • Buy 20,000+ points, get an 80% bonus

The annual cap for buying points has been raised to 100,000 points which equates to 180,000 points with the bonus.  The cost is $1,000 (£700).

We have seen 100% bonuses recently, but if you need to top up your account in advance of a planned redemption, you might as well do it whilst the bonus is on. It is also worth buying if your IHG Accelerate promotion has a ‘buy points’ target you need to hit.

Something I never knew: VERY low-tax AA redemptions with Avios from Spain
Get a £20 Best Western gift card with your next stay

Comments

1. Simon says:

O/T (wildly! Sorry ????) Amex MR —> Nectar Loyalty: I keep getting an error message on the Amex site when inputting my Nectar card number. (Indeed, the same thing is happening when my mother and my partner try to do the same with their Nectar card numbers, too.) IS THERE A WORKAROUND, does anyone know, in the same way that adding 0000 in front of your SPG account number puts paid to that Amex error message? Many thanks!

• Peter K says:

You need to ring them. It usually happens when you have previously sent point to that Nectar account via a previous Amex card.

• No work around – you have to phone Amex. If your nectar card has been linked to a previous Amex card then they will need to remove it from that one first then relink it to the new card.

• Alex W says:

Interested to know what nectar redemption you’re going for, and why not transfer MR to an airline or hotel scheme?

• the real harry1 says:

probs just closing down an a/c and nobody likes losing the odds & sods points = Nectar

• Simon says:

That’s right – orphan points, just trying to do something with them.

• Alex W says:

Phew, the world’s not gone mad! I think I transferred my odds and sods to club Carlson or whatever it’s called this week.

2. OT.
    I am just booking a domestic flight on AA (cash) its being booked in the “Main Cabin”. As a BA Silver does that mean I get a free checked in bag? I cant get clarity on their website.
    Also someone did answer me before but just wanted to check…can I access the Lounge?
    Thanks

• Genghis says:

Yes and yes. I used Flagship lounge at T3 ORD a couple of weeks ago – very nice – but the Admirals at LGA and BOS were basic and non-existent.

3. Simon B says:

Slightly OT:
    I have the basic IHG Rewards Credit card but want to move to the Premium card. I have been told by Creation that an upgrade to the IHG Premium Credit card is not possible and I just have to apply separately for the Premium card and close the free one. Am I right in thinking that Creation are unlikely to pay out an introductory bonus for the Premium card while I hold the free card? The guy at Creation didn’t know the answer.

• paulm says:

They will give the bonus. The cards are treated seperately

• No reason why you shouldn’t get the bonus on the paid card.

• Andy_H says:

Can confirm that I did exactly that (open a Premium account while still holding the standard card) and got the bonus, a few months ago. Currently have them both, and other than needing 2 separate log-ins (as they don’t talk to each other so to speak) so far no issues.

4. FlyingChris says:

OT: Natwest Rewards –> BA Exec Club. From the post a couple of days ago about Natwest Rewards now (as part of a limited trial to certain people?) being able to be converted to Avios – I converted the minimum of £10 that night to 1300 Avios and this afternoon received the following email.

“Great news! You’re one of the first 1500 customers to exchange your Rewards for Avios points. As promised, here are 500 extra points for being so speedy, courtesy of MyRewards to spend with British Airways Executive Club”

YMMV, and had no idea that promo was running, or even know if the target of 1500 people have been hit, but a nice added bonus if was thinking of doing it anyway and you are eligible to transfer.

• FlyingChris says:

Should have mentioned wasn’t from the post but the O/T comments in the Bits a couple of days ago. Also just looking at the ‘Trade Up’ pages on the Natwest Rewards site, it mentions a 500 bonus for each of the ‘Trade Up’ options (£10/20/50), and the email mentions first 1500 customers. The wording is ambiguous, but looks like it could be first 500 customers in each of the buckets? More chance of getting it, if eligible, at the higher amounts potentially? Depends on what the average transfer is likely to be from a typical Natwest account holder.

• Robman says:

hi Chris, how long ago did you trade-up? I’ve just done one of each price bracket and was hoping that I’ve done it quick enough also to get the 500 bonus. how many days was it before you received the bonus email?

• FlyingChris says:

Heya – traded up very late in the evening of the 27th when I saw it mentioned in the comments of that days Bits, voucher arrived almost instantly, bonus email arrived this afternoon (30th). So 2-3 days later, though the T&C’s say could be up to 5. Nice surprise as I totally missed that there was a promo on. Good luck – to be honest there wasn’t an email/text/banner advert on Online Banking or anything, and it’s not like most people log into their rewards account regularly, so unless 1500 HFP’ers all jumped on it in the last couple of days – good chance of still getting the bonus perhaps?

5. O/T – Any advice on best available Hotel Redemption in Hong Kong for 5/6 nights (I’ll be using my Amex MR points)

• In general (and this is not necessarily a HK recommendation) best value is anywhere that has a really good Marriott / JW Marriott. These are capped at 45k Marriott points which equals 15k Starwood points which needs 30k Amex.

If you have Amex Plat you’ll also have SPG Gold which matches to Marriott Gold which, until August, means free lounge access and 4pm check out.

• Roberto says:

I would say that you wont really get the best value from MR.. I appteciate that if you are long then its “cost effective” but I gave never come across a great hotel deal unless I am using their own points .

Cash is king with regards to hotels in my mind and in saying that i found great value with shangri la this year in a horizon club room in HKG durring the (black friday) sale..

• I assumed he meant converting MR into hotel points. Just using them via Amex Travel is crazy, I agree.

• Alex W says:

@VJ the best value is a Marriott hotel & air travel package. This gets you 7 nights plus up to 120,000 miles in your preferred scheme. I am aiming for 1.5p value per MR point this way. Even if you have to check out after the 6th night you should still achieve over 1p per Amex MR point.
      Ideally you need at least 180,000 MR points converted via SPG to 270,000 Marriott points.

• grex9101 says:

How likely is it that the Marriot travel packages will disappear come August?

• Alex W says:

It’s been announced that they are staying. However the prices have not been announced yet. I would not be surprised if they become more expensive either in August or January.

• Genghis says:

We’ve 7 nights at JWM in Oct booked this way.

6. Leigh says:

OT: Is there a way to buy foreign currency with Amex or Curve card? Thanks in advance.

7. Never bought starpoints before and would appreciate some reader advice… toying with the idea of buying 2 x 30,000 starpoints for £1032 which convert to 180,000 marriott rewards points, then topping up with an extra 20k via membership rewards to make 200,000 for a travel package comprising a Cat 1-5 7 night voucher and 50,000 Avios or VFC miles – if valued at 1p/mile it would make the effective cost for a 7-night voucher approx £510 – is this worthwhile? Or would there be a better use of 180k/200k Marriott rewards points?

• Jonny says:

If you wish to purchase a travel package you should think about targeting the maximum avios amount, so 270k points to give you 120k avios.
      That said I’m a bit cautious at the moment on purchasing a travel package myself as Marriott haven’t issued any guidance what will happen to it post 1 August (when new chart comes into effect) and personally I would rather wait to see what happens.

8. BrianN says:

Hey any idea of there is an expiry date o the the gift voucher? Also do you think we could use it on stays abroad in a different currency or would it have to be a UK stay? Thanks