Get 10,000 Virgin Flying Club miles with (potentially cheap) Virgin Money life insurance

Virgin Money has launched a bonus miles offer with its life insurance policies.

Until 7th August Virgin Atlantic Flying Club members who take out a life insurance policy will receive 10,000 Flying Club miles.

The key things you need to know are:

The minimum premium seems to be £6 a month for a level term policy

The 10,000 Virgin Flying Club miles are awarded up to 60 days after the sixth consecutive monthly payment

You must be a Virgin Flying Club member

You must be a UK resident and over 18 years old

This offer is for new customers only

One offer per person – joint policies receive the same 10,000 miles

The application website is here. You can also apply by calling 0800 0728870.

Virgin Money life insurance policies come with various perks including access to the Virgin Money lounges.

Virgin Money’s website gives the following price example:

“Virgin Money Life Insurance from £6 per month. Based on a 30 year old non-smoker purchasing single level-term £202,000 cover for 10 years. Prices correct as of May 2018.”

If you qualify for the cheapest monthly payment of £6, you need to pay at least £36 to receive the 10,000 Flying Club miles.  This assumes you are happy to cancel before the miles arrive, as that may take an extra 60 days as per the rules.

You will in this case receive 10,000 Flying Club miles for your £36 of premiums.  0.36p per Flying Club mile is a pretty good deal indeed ……

The downside is of course the paperwork you need to complete.  Depending on your health, and based on experience with Tesco Bank life insurance promos in the past, you may also be asked to have a medical examination before being accepted.

The closing date for applications under this offer is 7th August, so you have over a month to decide whether you want to take out a life insurance policy with Virgin Money.

How to earn Virgin Atlantic miles from UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Flying Club miles from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Flying Club miles.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

SOLD OUT: Get your HfP Summer Party tickets TODAY from 1pm - great Etihad raffle prizes confirmed!
Last day to earn miles from Virgin East Coast - and should you take miles or Nectar points from West Coast?

Comments

1. SoloFlyer says:

I spoke to Virgin Money on their live chat and they checked my quotation of £1.40 per month and confirmed it had tracked for the 10,000 miles. Once I asked if there was a minimum premium to be applied they went to go check and confirmed that there is no minimum. Easy 10,000 flying club miles!

• There’s always one….

Virgin Back office now aware of the loophole…

• How to kill a deal

• Mycity says:

Why even call them at £1.40 a month, most likely deal will go.

• Roberto says:

First rule of fight club……….
          Doh.

• the real harry1 says:

yep hopeless schoolboy error 🙂 – but won’t have changed anything much as the Virgin marketing team read HFP – I just wonder if Virgin Money’s sale to CYBG means that having bumper numbers of new Life Insurance recruits (& new Virgin Credit Card applications) is somehow helpful to the marketing team concerned…bonus points being a future liability

whatever, get in quick while the sun shines was always a good axiom lol

• Callum says:

Yeah because I’m sure they have no idea about why they’ve suddenly got thousands of new customers paying dirt cheap premiums the day a site they work with promoted it…. The only way they found out was by someone asking on live chat…

• Lucinda says:

Do you think Virgin actually monitor these on a minute by minute basis?

Most likely look at the applications over a few days when they will realise the premiums are very cheap and not what was forecast.

And who says Virgin marketing team read HFP first thing and every day?

Always best to keep the lid on these things and NEVER phone CS !

I bet Soloflyer rang BA about the TLV fare too…

• Callum says:

Yes, I’d imagine they do have real time reporting tools. They’re a large financial organisation – that’s hardly far-fetched.

• Genghis says:

@Rob to say?

• They were attempting to blame us for your behaviour 🙂 I believe we pointed out that our entire article was a cut and paste, effectively, from their own website and nothing more.

It is of course tricky because our friends at Flying Club will be wetting themselves at the thought of a nice big cheque from VM. We have seen this before with Avios before where the motivation of the offer sponsor and Avios themselves clearly does not align ….

• Lady London says:

Can I “interview” you on frequent flyer deal non-blab management practice, at the Summer Party?

2. Mark2 says:

You need to be over 18 and less than 64, so no good to me.

3. Roberto says:

I took a cheap punt for me and SWMBO. Cheap enough for about £25 for both of us ( separately) for 20k virgin miles and a three year reset.

Fingers crossed..

4. Did a quote on decreasing terms for minimum amount of cover £40k and minimum length of 5 years. Quote come to £0.92 per month. Live chat with them and they confirmed that I have gone through the correct route to get the 10k miles offer. Went on to complete the questions and setup direct debit. Also saved a copy of the transcript to the chat in case they change their mind 6 months time. If all works out, it will be £5.52 for 10,000 miles which is less than 0.06p/mile. Absolute bargain!

5. Moktar says:

OT: Tried to use a 2for1 voucher on Titan flight, and was told I can’t use it. Is it bad luck with the particular agent or strict rule of BA?

• Stu N says:

Strictly the flight has to be BA Marketed and Operated – i.e. BA flight number and a BA aircraft. It’s aimed at preventing you using them on codeshares, but seems to also be an issue when BA are using leased aircraft to cover their own operations.

There were some reports of similar issues a couple of years ago when they were using JetTime for some cover at Heathrow – some people were able to use 2-4-1s, others weren’t. I’d try a different agent and see what happens.

• BA refused to let me book a Titan flight using a Gold ‘double Avios’ redemption for the same reason.

6. the real harry1 says:

O/T bits – There’s a free £5 off £25 @ Amazon when you install the Amazon app on your mobile phone, last day to get it tomorrow https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?node=14604495031&ref=m1m0m5AR1

Wd combine with the Amex £15 off £25 but can be used in isolation

Just got my daughter to install it for me 🙂

7. Relaxo says:

OT- virgin cc related. I got my email with the promo sign up bonuses but I had jumped the gun & applied for the card a couple of weeks earlier. Have not activated my card yet though. Any idea if I would get the promo bonus points offer if I did not apply using their special link?

8. the real harry1 says:

I wonder why Anika said: The minimum premium seems to be £6 a month for a level term policy.

Must have been justified, ie by the press release or by trying & finding out for herself.

Which implies £6/ month WAS the minimum intended – which naturally makes more sense than 83p when you are giving a bonus of 10K points.

We will only know when the T&Cs change overnight – so play safe & take screenshots.

Virgin are pretty good at stealing back miles if they consider awarding them is not merited.

• The Original Nick says:

On that comment Harry I may give it a miss. Very tempted though.

• the real harry1 says:

Not a lot to lose if you are young enough to get £1/ month

• Could take them to the ombudsman if they don’t stick to the T&Cs and I’m pretty sure it costs them about £400 each time that happens, so they would be likely to cave just ahead of that.

• £6 is for LEVEL TERM insurance. It is ‘decreasing term’ where the very cheap rates come up (AFAIK).

• palcsaky says:

It’s an example price for a typical life insurance, not a minimum price that must be paid in order to get the bonus miles.
      ** Virgin Money Life Insurance from £6 per month. Based on a 30 year old non-smoker purchasing single level-term £202,000 cover for 10 years. Prices correct as of May 2018.

9. I’ve taken out a policy, BUT… just realised I used my old Flying Club membership number (pre Nov 2016). I don’t use Virgin much… Do you think I’ve shot myself in the foot, or will Virgin have linked them all in the back end somewhere?

• the real harry1 says:

You could get on Chat & make sure the points will go to the right a/c

10. Crafty says:

Not many have mentioned that another helpful by product of your cheap policy (mine is 87p a month) is access to the genuinely useful Virgin Money lounges. There are two in close proximity in Piccadilly offering free hot drinks and a reasonably quiet space to either make calls or meet someone. Recommended.

11. Doog1000 says:

Unfortunately it now says minimum monthly premium of £10!

• Interesting, so it does! I saved a PDF of the T&Cs yesterday and definitely didn’t then. Trust they’ll stick to the previous rules for those that applied before this change otherwise I predict a lot of FOS complaints!

• the real harry1 says:

haha! 🙂 – told you a few screenshots would come in handy

early bird catches the worm etc lol

who would like to buy my screenshots? 🙂

• the real harry1 says:

Last time I checked, every single FOS intervention cost the financial service provider something under £500 whether they were in the right or not (strange rule but that’s how it works)

as Virgin Money clearly offered us the deal we accepted under the then T&Cs, they’ll honour it, no probs envisaged

if you have screenshots, that is 🙂

• I have never known FOS rule in favour of the customer on a loyalty issue and that includes a claim I made against Amex!

• Genghis says:

@Rob. Still costs them money though for the case to be reviewed

• David P says:

I saw that on the very final screen when I was doing mine this afternoon. But before I clicked confirm, I asked someone on the live chat whether there was a minimum monthly payment to qualify for the 10,000 miles and they said that there was no minimum monthly payment. The terms and conditions also make no mention of a minimum payment. I have screenshots of both so we’ll see how it goes after the 6 months are up. It’s only £1.10 a month so it’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t work.

• the real harry1 says:

What did it say on the final screen today? Was it something about qualifying for the 10K points?

• the real harry1 says:

No need to look very far Harry me old mate – first page now reads:

‘If you’re a Virgin Atlantic Flying Club member and you take out Virgin Money Life Insurance, 10,000 miles will be paid to your Flying Club account once we’ve collected 6 monthly premiums. Just fill in your Flying Club number when you complete the application.

Please note, a minimum monthly premium of £10.00 applies.’ 🙂

• the real harry1 says:

How do you do that google ‘go back in time’ thing?

• the real harry1 says:
      • the real harry1 says:

Didn’t say this yesterday! 🙂

How do you qualify for the Offer?
        You must purchase your first Virgin Money Life Insurance Policy (with or without Critical Illness) during the Qualifying Period. This Offer is not valid for second or subsequent purchases.
        Purchases must be made online at uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/life-insurance/atlantic/ or by phone on 0800 0728870. You must provide your Virgin Atlantic Flying Club membership number at the point of purchase.

***Flying Club miles will only be paid on policies with a monthly premium of £10.00 or more.***

You must make a minimum of six consecutive monthly premium payments.
        You must hold a current Virgin Atlantic Flying Club membership.
        You cannot enter on behalf of anyone else.

• Hsergio10 says:

I just called Virgin life insurance to double check

They confirmed that everyone who bought life insurance on the 21st of June 2018 (yesterday) will be awarded the 10K virgin miles as per T&C as of yesterday

They also confirmed the marketing update the T&C today so new T&C applies as of today (22nd of June 2018) for anybody buying new life insurance from today onwards

As always, :cheap opportunity cost for relatively big reward, never stays long (re Tesco event with 1k cc per ink, business class sale,etc…)

• the real harry1 says:

yo yo baby! 🙂

• EwanG says:

Old terms were still in place for much/most of today so if you got in before the T&Cs were updated you should be fine.

To Rob’s point about FOS, remember the bank will get charged for each case referred and will be cheaper for them to honour the original terms if there is any ambiguity. Best file away those emails and screenshots!!