IHG

Bits: new Amex hotel cashback deals, 500 Accor points and cocktails at MGallery, 3000 IHG points with Hertz

News in brief:

New American Express hotel cashback deals

Some new Amex cashback offers have launched.  Some, all or none of these deals may be available for sign-up on the ‘Offers’ tab of your online statement page.  Remember that you need to check for each card you own, as the offers vary.  It is also worth noting that the app seems to show fewer offers than the website.

Across my cards I have:

£5 back on £50 spend at World Duty Free (expires 14th September, would stack with the RED app offers here)

£5 back on £20 spend with Addison Lee (can earn three times, expires 20th September, download app here)

£35 back on £200 spend at NH Hotels (very strong in Spain – earns Avios via Iberia, expires 31st August)

£100 back on £400 spend at Melia Hotels (home page, expires 28th September, short list of participating hotels)

£100 back on £500 spend at US Hilton properties (home page, expires 30th September, note USA only)

Existing offers still available include:

£35 back on £100 spend at Thistle Hotels (home page, expires 30th September)

£55 back on £200 spend at Guoman Hotels (home page, expires 30th September)

£55 back on £200 spend at Amba Hotels (home page, Marble Arch review, expires 30th September)

£25 back on £175 spend at Avis (home page, expires 31st August)

£30 back on £150 spend at Hertz (home page, expires 31st August)

£5 back on £50 spend at Virgin West Coast trains (expires 10th August)

£100 back on £800 spend at Thai Airways (expires 31st August)

£60 back on £300 spend at Hyatt Hotels (home page, expires 30th September)

Francis Hotel Bath MGallery

500 bonus Accor points and two cocktails with MGallery

MGallery by Sofitel is one of the lesser known brands under the Accor portfolio.  According to the MGallery site:

MGallery by Sofitel is a collection of boutique hotels dedicated to lovers of life, literature and culture. Each MGallery hotel stands as a gateway into another world – be it a bygone era, a hidden haven or a spectacular natural landscape.

In the UK, there are four MGallery hotels:

Stay at any MGallery hotel globally before 9th September and you will receive 500 bonus Le Club AccorHotels points (worth 500 Avios or a €10 Accor voucher) and two signature cocktails at the bar.  You need to book via this special page.

IHG Rewards Club Hertz offer

3,000 bonus IHG Rewards Club points on Hertz rentals

We are a bit late to the party on this deal annoyingly.  However, until 31st July you will earn 3,000 IHG Rewards Club bonus points when you credit a Hertz car rental to IHG.  This is on top of the standard earning rate of 500 points per rental day for Elite members and 125 points per rental day for base level members.

You MUST book via this IHG web page.  It is not clear if rentals must be completed by 31st July or just booked, so for safety should assume the former.

Hertz points usually count for status when credited to IHG Rewards Club, so there is a chance that the 3,000 bonus points will also be status-qualifying.

You may even be able to stack this offer with the Hertz / Amex deal mentioned at the top of this page.

Why Hilton's proposed new UK credit card could be one of the best
Historic photos of Heathrow's RAF role as it celebrates its 100th anniversary

Star Alliance

Comments

1. OT:
    I have a reward flight held by virgin as I dont have enough in my account. They only gave me 48 hours. Which one has a greater chance of getting there in this time frame between Marriott travel package and tesco clubcard?

Is there any bonus running clubcard to virgin?

2. Have you checked her offers on the website rather than the app? For some reason the app seems not to show everything, although my gold is the worst amex I have for offers currently

3. Simon says:

The Hilton credit looks tempting but am slightly confused. I’ve already got a 4 night stay in NYC booked at a participating location (Embassy Suites) in September that is pay on departure. The T&Cs say “Offer valid on checkout spend only” but also “Offer only applies to spend made in Great British Pound (GBP)”, but clearly any bill will be in USD.

The question I therefore have is whether the existing booking would qualify – the risk being that FX fee if I use the AmEx and don’t get the credit.

• That clause has been in all the hotel offers recently and makes no sense, so I can only assume it is some sort of typo.

4. Kevin says:

OT:
    I just hit the SPG AMEX bonus, but missed it posting to my SPG account by a couple of days. Am I able to cancel the card now without losing the points, or do I need to wait for them to post to my SPG account? Thanks.

• Mark2 says:

I have cancelled many cards and I always ensure that points etc. have cleared.
      Also that I owe enough to soak up any pro rata refund of annual charge.

• the real harry1 says:

You need to wait or will lose the points

5. I cancelled my SPG Amex a couple of months ago and had a residual amount of points in the acct. They did, however, transfer across at the normal time of the month post cancellation. Others have reported issues with points not posting from cancelled cards. As a rule, I only cancel accounts once I have all points safely in the relevant acct.

6. My experience in the last few days is that IHG will not honour this offer. I booked activities with them from the same landing page. $50 spend to trigger 3,000 points. 6 weeks on nothing on my account and three emails directing me to Viator who know nothing of the promotion of course…

I wouldn’t trust that you can get them to pay out. Sent them my booking plus the terms and conditions and just got ridiculous replies.

7. Mycity says:

O/T. Just had a box flash up on my Plat card offering 5000 to add a supplementary card holder, dissapeared as soon as it flashed up. No mention of it when I click add a supplementary card holder, will I still get the MR points as I can’t now see the offe4 anywhere

• yeah it usually get it for the first supper card even if not advertised. YMMV

• Peter K says:

I got an email about it… Even though I had already added Mrs K and gained the 5k points.
      Hoped to get a second lot but read the t&c’s and it specifically said only first supplementary card in total.

8. the real harry1 says:

O/T interesting development on the IB 90K front – somebody who got denied the 90K for inconsistencies appealed it and got them awarded after all.

HT FT: ” I made :
    – harassment on social media (public and DM)
    – 3 emails per day to the crappy clasico
    – A email to 20 people (management / media / investors) at Iberia and owner.
    Received the point 1 hour after the email to management. Don’t know if it’s coincidence but I had received the “inconsistencies” email before but they sent an email with :
    “We have accrual 90.000 Avios in your account after analyse your request. Our apologise for the delay”
    I think the strategy with such people is : don’t give up and make their life complicated. Spanish culture : you have to talk loudly for people to hear you and take in consideration your claim. “

• the real harry1 says:

They’re also saying the IB site is a mess – which is true if you’re on the wrong bit – but I was able to book 2x returns today for my son & me – out to place in the sun in Biz (drinkies in order!), home in economy (driving awaits so no drinkies). All very easy to book & a smooth reward flights process.

9. O/T but just took the punt and bought a Marriott TP, I’d never get enough to buy one under the new scheme so I just have to hope that I don’t get screwed over in August when they the finally decide what happens with the unused certificates. My current feeling based on what people have said on blogs is that they’ll refund the category points x6 nights so my cat 6 will give me 180k marriott points, while this isn’t ideal its not the worst thing in the world as I’ll have converted 120 marriott points into 120 avois, if my thinking is correct. Anyone have any insight yet on this?

10. OT: Letter just arrived from Lloyds with updated terms applied to my Lloyds Avios card. No changes to the rewards package (which was what I was expecting when I opened it), mostly just run of the mill tightening of the financial terms.

It does though allow them to further change the terms and conditions within 30 days rather than 60 as I believe it is currently, though that doesn’t take effect until the 21st September.

11. OT: Iberia avios reward booking on LEVEL: Is it possible to just cancel the inbound leg of a journey (for a fee), or does Iberia require to cancel the whole booking? Would the avios be refunded instantly?

12. Bits. BA giving away free waistcoats for those heading to Moscow…

Scroll down…

• RussellH says:

Sorry, but had I been someone with the authority to order it, I would have done it. I just hate all these Engerland flags everywhere. Come on Croatia!!

• Mark2 says:

I know nothing about sport, but why did we not enter a team representing the whole country like the others?

• the real harry1 says:

Something like founder’s privileges. We invented football – the most popular sport in the world, the rest of the world are even better at it than us these days ho ho – and football’s success inspired so much other sport, rugby, cricket, baseball, Yank football etc.

Anyway, the Brits invented football so we can have 4 teams.

And all that sport has headed off conflict and death.

Nations put their all behind their national sports team and hence avoid real wars, which were often started for very stupid reasons.

A way to get even with, beat or lose against your hated enemy – then everybody gets on with their lives the next day.

• @Russell. Should the three Lionels be fortunate enough to get past some small Balkans nation more famous for skinny dipping than football then I’m sure you will find the Auld Alliance is alive and well.

13. O/T. Does anyone know if the fee of £170 for getting a second supplementary card on an Amex Platinum account is pro-rata refundable?

14. the real harry1 says:

Anyway, the Brits invented football so we can have 4 teams.

And all that sport has headed off conflict and death.

15. Artem says:

I just received an email from BA offering 30,000 avios for taking out the BAPP card. Does it combine with the referral bonus? I.e. is it possible to double dip?

16. Clive says: