BA

Bits: Amazon Prime Day starts today, new luxury Starwood / Marriott hotel opens in Paris

News in brief:

Amazon Prime Day – big discounts from noon today and all day tomorrow

Amazon Prime Day has returned for the fourth time.

What started as a one off event for Amazon’s 20th birthday three years ago, is now an established annual event where Amazon makes certain items available at big discounts to anyone who is an Amazon Prime member (or who is happy to sign up for a free 30 day trial).

This year it is a 36 hour event.  It kicks off at noon today (Monday) and runs until midnight on Tuesday.

In the past we have had a preview list from Amazon of the best deals, but that has not happened this year.  If there are any interesting travel products on offer we’ll run through them tomorrow.

If you do decide to buy anything, and you visit Amazon via this link, HFP gets a small commission and you can consider your annual HFP subscription paid …..

PS. Apparently the best-selling Prime Day category last year was electric toothbrushes!  If that’s your thing, the Oral-B Genius 9000 is already reduced from £300 to £135 as a Prime Day ‘teaser offer’ (but you don’t need to be a Prime member to buy) – see here 🙂

Amazon Prime Day

Starwood opens a brand new luxury hotel in Paris this week

In what may be the last major opening before Starwood and Marriott fully combine their loyalty schemes next month, SPG’s The Luxury Collection is officially opening Hotel de Berri in Paris on 20th July.  It actually opened a couple of days ago, however, for a ‘soft’ launch.

This looks like an attempt at a very high-end property.  It has, astonishingly for a city centre hotel, a 3000 square metre private park.  This is shared with the occupants of just 75 rooms, including 35 suites.

The decor looks a bit …. eclectic …. but let’s see.  Here is one example:

Hotel de Berri Paris open

and here is another:

Hotel de Berri Paris open

Situated on rue de Berri, it is a very short walk from the Champs-Elysees.

At a reassuringly expensive €500 per night, it is decent value even as a Category 7 Starwood redemption at 30,000 points per night.  However, from mid August when SPG and Marriott Rewards merge, it will be bookable for just 60,000 ‘new scheme’ points (the equivalent of 20,000 Starwood Preferred Guest points) which will be excellent value.

The Hotel de Berri website is here if you want to find out more.

My review of YOTEL Gatwick Airport - what's it like to stay in a windowless cabin?
The free night promo you have literally YEARS to complete ..... Hyatt Brand Explorer

IHG
BA

Comments

1. George says:

OT Bits – I’m going to need a fairly large volume (£250 at a time) of Amazon certificates in the near future, and I was wondering what the best non-Amazon way to buy them to maximise points is at the moment? Guess the great Tesco bonuses are long dead? TIA

• Brian says:

I believe Morrison’s still give 2 or 2.5% back on gift cards, so that’s one option. Obviously, you would pay with Amex, too…

• the real harry1 says:

Use the mailed Tesco MOCs, no good if you don’t already get them.

My Tesco MOC mailing got turned off for 18 months or so then got turned on again. My wife’s never got turned off.

Generally goes something like £10 off £70 + £7 off £70 x2 = £24 off £210 —> 11.4% discount on your Amazon giftcards.

• George says:

Silly question – what’s an MOC?

Thanks everyone – no perks website but will look into whether we can get one!

• Sundar says:

Gift cards are not included in the MOC purchase, are they ?

• You get Clubcard points if you use a Tesco debit card or credit card ie £100 gets you 100 CC pts.

2. Charlie says:

Possible error fare circa £700 business on Qatar
    MAN – CNX
    MAN – PEN

October to March roughly. Google flights tracks through to book on BA.

• KevMc says:

Given the recent Tel Aviv cancellations, I doubt BA will be honouring these fares either.

• Jonathan says:

I’d be confident if this was booked via. Qatar but BA don’t exactly have a track record with such generous flash sales or honouring potential mistakes. It’s certainly in the realm of previous Qatar offers though like AMS-TYO so might still jump in.

• Worth a punt perhaps but do NOT book anything around it for a couple of months. Expect cancellation.

• Jovanna says:

Couldn’t see it on any of the other blogs or forums that usually splash these things everywhere, so this might be under the radar. Seems to have disappeared now. I imagine only a few tickets were sold.

• Charlie says:

I cannot replicate now for less than £2.5k so I think it has gone. Hopefully someone picked it up and it’s honoured. Embarrassingly the BA charges etc were more than the fare was!

Picked it up from Jack’s Flight Club

• Crafty says:

Definitely not under the radar – Jack’s flight club sent to entire mailing list.

3. Chris says:

Used my companion voucher to book LHR – MIA First Class for me and the girlfriend in June of next year. Has anyone any experience on BA’s US First Class product on the 747? TIA

• Nothing out of this world I’m afraid – bit like Qatar business but fewer of you in the cabin. I’d avoid the centre seats even as a couple. Service a bit hit and miss. Sorry I’m not more positive. It’s nothing to grumble about though – wouldn’t pay the cash price.

• Centre seats are fine as a couple. My wife likes to chat during flight so this does allow this if you lean forward a bit! (we sat row 4 last time).. I’d have switched to 1A/K if available but unfortunately one side was occupied in both directions

• Chris says:

Thanks for the feedback, I assumed that would be the case unfortunately. It’s my first First Class experience so I’m hoping it will be okay anyway. Why would you avoid the center seats? I was considering changing seat.

4. Andrew says:

So, after filling my basket at Amazon and trying to check-out, every single Amazon locker within a 10 mile radius is full and my package isn’t suitable for click & collect.

My employer doesn’t permit deliveries.

Oh well. Let’s see if it’s still on my doorstep when I get home on Wednesday evening…

• If it’s not suitable for click and collect then you can’t use the lockers either, they’ll not actually be full, it’s usually due to some kind of age restriction on the product that you’re buying although sometimes it’s not obvious why.

• Yorkieflyer says:

Perhaps try a bricks and mortar shop????????

5. OT does anyone know if/when the VS econ>prem exon upgrade voucher will post, now that the Virgin MBNA cards have turned into horizon cards?

• lev441 says:

Mine posted on my flying club account on the 6th/7th July. Check the activity tab when you log in to your flying club account, it doesn’t show on my ‘my account activity’ on the page that loads after you log in.

Hope that helps!

• They already have for most people.

6. Crafty says:

OT: another data point – I have also erroneously been charged a £170 supplementary cardholder fee on my Platinum card, despite this being the first supp. However, there was previously a supp, since cancelled, on the card when it was a Gold card.

Somebody else posted in the last weeks with this problem so there is probably an IT error behind this. Worth considering if you want to upgrade but hate hassle!

7. the real harry1 says:

Get £10 free with £80 of Gift Cards – Prime or Prime Trial members
    Receive a £10 promotional code for a future Amazon.co.uk retail order when you purchase at least £80 in Amazon.co.uk Gift Cards and Gift Vouchers (“GCs”) in a single order on Amazon.co.uk by 17th July 2018

• KBuffett says:

I ‘topped up’ my Amazon account instead of buying a Gift Certificate. Do you think they will honour the offer?

8. Rob MC says:

Has anyone else been upgraded to platinum-elite with Marriott and SPG? Just had an email saying I am til march 19.

• Genghis says:

Any rationale for this?

• Rob MC says:

I had applied to do the platinum challenge.. did one stay checking out today and was upgrade 20 minutes after checking out. Have all my other stays booked but only completed one stay so far. Both upgraded

• jason says:

My account is showing Platinum-elite – one stay before i complete my 9 night challenge!! that will be annoying…

• Steve says:

+1 Rob MC +1 Jason – though after completing challenge we should be Plat till end of 2019 rather than March 2019

So to Rob MCs point, anyone else receive this? I was SPG Gold through Amex Plat

• Mohammad says:

yes same thing for me, was 6 stays into my platinum challenge and i have been upgraded to SPG and marriott platinum, the email also says till march 2019. I was also given spg gold through Amex platinum.

• Peter K says:

I’m still gold.

• Alex W says:

Still Gold Elite for me 🙁

• Rob MC says:

• Steve says:

Someone else reporting upgrade under today’s Bits. I am on the 8th stay with one more to come at the end of the month. Wonder if it is all linked to Plat challange, or if people not taking the challange are also being upgraded – if so maybe they have done a U turn on their U turn

• Brian S says:

I have not even done one stay of the Challenge yet and have had status changed, I’m tempted to say nothing and see where it goes but would love to know the rationale behind it. Will it mean Platinum Premier status in August or are we expected this to be downgraded to Gold again if this is an error?

• I guess they decided the IT could not track SPG stays post August so easier to upgrade now?

9. Crafty says:

OT: Anyone (Harry) know whether Waitrose MOCs work for buying gift cards?

• the real harry1 says:

sorry, no idea, nearest Waitrose is a right trek and not a very big store so I never go

• Mark2 says:

I am 99% certain that they do nor work (assuming you mean ‘£4 off when you spend £40’ type.

• TGLoyalty says: