American Airlines has announced changes to its international network with new destinations in Europe coupled with a number of route cancellations.
The newly added routes to the UK and Ireland are:
- Phoenix to London Heathrow, seasonal between 31st March 2019 and 26th October 2019 (daily)
- Dallas to Dublin, seasonal between 6th June 2019 and 28th September 2019 (daily)
- Philadelphia to Edinburgh, seasonal between 2nd April and 2019 and 26th October 2019 (daily)
The current UK and Ireland routes which will be closed are:
- Philadelphia to Glasgow (as of 29th September 2018)
- New York to Dublin (as of 27th October 2018)
- New York to Edinburgh (as of 27th October 2018)
- Chicago to Manchester (as of 3rd September 2018)
How to earn American Airlines miles from UK credit cards (June 2021)
American Airlines no longer has its own UK credit card.
There are, however, still ways of earning American Airlines miles from UK credit cards.
The best route is via Marriott Bonvoy. Marriott Bonvoy hotel loyalty points convert to American Airlines miles at the rate of 3:1. You receive an additional 5,000 miles bonus if you convert 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points at once.
The best way to earn Marriott Bonvoy points is via the official Marriott Bonvoy American Express card. It comes with 20,000 points for signing up and 2 points for every £1 you spend.
At 2 Bonvoy points per £1, you are earning (at 3:1) 0.66 American Airlines miles per £1 spent on the card. This will increase to 0.83 AA miles per £1 if you convert Bonvoy points in chunks of 60,000 points.
You can apply here.