Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

How to get Avis Preferred Plus status from your Priority Pass

Here’s something I didn’t know.  If you have a Priority Pass airport lounge access card, you can claim Preferred Plus status with Avis.

American Express Platinum – who may have supplied your Priority Pass – comes with standard Avis Preferred status, but this is one level higher.

Avis Preferred Plus usually requires five Avis rentals in a year and €1,000 of spending.  The benefits are not huge:

priority car availability

a free extra driver on every trip (already a free benefit if you book via the BA Avis website)

a complimentary vehicle upgrade whenever possible

voucher for a free European weekend rental after your 3rd rental

You can find out more about the different Avis status levels on their website here.

You can claim your Preferred Plus status by following the link on this page.  There is also a notional ‘20% discount’ for Priority Pass members although this may not beat other partner rates such as the BA one.

Comments (174)

• Jon says:

OT: Flying out of LHR, Terminal 5 on a late night departure next month. Have the two free lounge club passes from the PRG card. Looks like the only lounge club in T5 is the Aspire. Any good, from people’s own experiences? The reason I ask is otherwise I will save the two passes for another flight. Thanks!

• DaveL says:

I’d personally save the passes though others may disagree… Plaza Premium t5 lounge (Amex Plat required for access) is nice, but the Aspire is cramped and not worth the pass in my option. Better to use at the No1 lounges next time you fly from Gatwick (though remember to reserve access ahead of time if you don’t want to miss out – £5 each but includes fast track security)

• Chris says:

OT: Anyone got their latest statement SPG points? Or any update on the transfer situation? TIA

• meta says:

Miles are not expiring until June next year for former MBNA credit card holders. I’m waiting until early next year before making a decision on redemption.

• paulm says:

OT- Radisson rewards

What would be a rough valuation for 15k points ? Signed up recently (via amex plat) and just got an offer for 15k bonus points on next paid stay. Wondering if it’s worth doing….

• Rob says:

I’m about 0.33p these days, given 70k for a top London hotel and 15k for a cheapo Park Inn. You’re looking at about a £50 rebate on that basis.

• paulm says:

Thanks Rob, appreciated

• Ben says:

I just got an e-mail through offering 50k bonus for stays of 4 nights or more.

• Relaxo says:

Might be targeted for new or inactive accounts. Got the 15K offer on my 2nd account which I have not used for over a year. Nothing on my ‘active’ account which I transfer points into.

• KevMc says:

I got the 15k for 1 stay offer. Last stayed in January this year and has remained inactive since.

I might switch a Hilton T5 booking to the Park Inn Heathrow – It is cheaper anyway, and this offer gives more value back on the booking I think. I am Diamond, but we will be arriving too late to take advantage of the free food/drinks in the lounge, and will be happy to eat in the Concorde lounge the following morning, rather than eat at the hotel, so only really using it as a bed and a carpark.

• jc says:

OT – many of the wonders of the Amex Platinum travel insurance only apply if the trip is booked on an Amex Amex, right? Two questions:

1) Does my hotel need to be booked on it, as well as the flights? Does it need to be the whole flight, or could I just pay a £1 deposit on it and the rest elsewhere?

2) I’ve always heard that if the vendor doesn’t accept Amex it’s legit to pay on another card and still be covered, but can’t find this in official writing anywhere?

• Genghis says:

Health related stuff has no requirement to pay on Amex. The other “less serious” inconvenience stuff has a requirement to pay on Amex.

e.g. 1.2 re cancellation trip: For the benefits under this section to apply transport and/or
      accommodation must have been Purchased in full using:
      I. the Card;
      II. American Express Membership Rewards® points; or
      III. Any travel rewards programmes provided the taxes
      and/or surcharges have been Purchased
      using the Card.

I.e. need to be paid in FULL using one of the above where “card” if you follow the definitions through means any Amex issued Amex.

Flights for flights and accommodation for accommodation claims need to be paid on “the card”.

I’ve never been able to find any documentation for (2).

• the_real_a says:

It states: “Proof that you have purchased accommodation and transportation on Your Card, or the name and address of the merchant, in the event that Your chosen provider would not accept Your Card” (Page 19, claim evidence table)

• Lee says:

Sorry about completely OT, I thought I will ask any question here these days.
    We are travelling to Maldives from Heathrow this Christmas connecting at Rome. Are we entitle to buy things for non-EU travelling or that restricted to EU only because we will connecting at Rome?

• VJ says:

O/T: Guys, any update on SPG AMEX transfer, 15th September is history now, no sign of points transfer.

SPG/Marriott is blaming each other, it’s such a pity.

• Anna says:

OT, had a message on OH’s Amex Platinum card account this morning offering 5k MR points for adding a supplementary card. Just can’t remember now if we’ve had one already!