Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

How to get Avis Preferred Plus status from your Priority Pass

Here’s something I didn’t know.  If you have a Priority Pass airport lounge access card, you can claim Preferred Plus status with Avis.

American Express Platinum – who may have supplied your Priority Pass – comes with standard Avis Preferred status, but this is one level higher.

Avis Preferred Plus usually requires five Avis rentals in a year and €1,000 of spending.  The benefits are not huge:

priority car availability

a free extra driver on every trip (already a free benefit if you book via the BA Avis website)

a complimentary vehicle upgrade whenever possible

voucher for a free European weekend rental after your 3rd rental

You can find out more about the different Avis status levels on their website here.

You can claim your Preferred Plus status by following the link on this page.  There is also a notional ‘20% discount’ for Priority Pass members although this may not beat other partner rates such as the BA one.

Comments (174)

• Andrew says:

Little Bits…

£5 off £40 when using the BPMe App with a First Direct Credit or Debit Card.

• HackinJack says:

Ref the Avis/PP offer, I can’t sign up for this. I get the registration/login page but it won’t log me in with my Avis account details (which I verified by logging in to the UK site) and if I try to register it says my email address is already in their database. Anyone else tried and had success/failure?

• Henry says:

I would be interested too. It seems to only work for new joiners. Do we cancel online accounts and then rejoin?

• Rob says:

Great, thank you

• HackinJack says:

Yup, I filled in their online contact form, explained the situation and supplied my PP number. 24 hours later I have an email saying they have upgraded me. All good!

• 80 says:

Brilliant, thanks for reporting back. Most helpful

• Boo says:

Well, I’ve emailed them and nothing has happened a week later.

I just tried the contact us form and on submission it goes to page not found…

• Boo says:

Never mind – just emailed again and got a reply minutes later.

• Chris says:

Grumble grumble. 2 online enquiries to Avis with all the necessary info and no reply for 6 days. In the meantime had a domestic Avis hire and could have benefited from free driver and upgrade, but didn’t. Eventually got a reply confirming upgrade when arriving home.

• Chelseafi says:

O/T with cross referrals no longer option, want to refer O/H for BAPP, I’m thinking I should upgrade my free BA (do I just reapply online for BAPP same way as downgrade?) will I automatically receive points for upgrading too or do I need to ask? I assume I can then just downgrade again once any extra points post? Do they run credit checks for upgrade and downgrades too. Thanks

• Genghis says:

Yes. Do it online. No official upgrade bonus but others have reported 4K avios IIRC. Should be able to downgrade again but I wouldn’t do all this as Amex reserve right to do credit checks on each action.

• BJ says:

There was an interesting article on InsideFlyerUK yesterday suggesting that simply applying for a platinum card while holding the gold credit card would now result in 30/35k bonuses despite already holding a MR account (not via upgrade link). Seems dubious as blogger pointed out but I will be following his results.

• Benylin says:

OT: Tesco have 20% off vouchers for Uber credit. In store only.

• Rts says:

Ohhhhh no… Have Amex canned cross referring?! 🙁

• john says:

OT: Curve ‘technology’ update means card issuer will be able to identify when you withdraw cash from your credit card using curve and they may charge you a fee.

• Andy S says:

I just got that too. Most annoying, that’s the most useful feature of curve for me, the “free” cash every month.

• john says:

Yeah I just took out cash today on by hilton barclaycard. Not sure if I’m going to get charged interest or not as not sure if they’ve made this live yet or not.. CC transactions shows as pending but doesn’t say its a cash advance or what not…

• Alex Sm says:

It was discussed here yesterday in comments to one of the articles. Check there for more info.

• Rts says:

Wonder if this will have an effect on using curve to pay your amex bill… If so curve is once again a dead duck for me.

• CountryKerry says:

Works here. £3750 straight through!

• Mark2 says:

It may be different for different credit cards.

• Stuart says:

Why were comments deleted?

• Rob says:

Due to public request.

• Stuart says:

Fight Club strikes again.

• No one says:

Fight club strikes again?

• Moderated? says:

So the inner clique doesn’t like sharing, so you delete comments, then make my IP address moderated? How long until you have to be approved to be part of this special club?

• Rob says:

We can’t moderate IP addresses because we use Cloudflare (look it up).

Everyone – literally everyone – in UK airline, hotel and credit card loyalty reads this site. When you post something on here, you should work on that assumption.

• Stuart says:

So I post from an IP address used last night & get moderated, yet change ip address & the same comment goes through? Hmmm

• Rob says:

We cannot block by IP address because all HFP comments simply show your nearest Cloudflare server of which there are only a handful in the UK. What CAN happen is that if I delete a comment then the anti-spam software is more sensitive on your future comments.

• Peter K says:

Withdrew £10 from an ATM with curve in Friday when this all kicked in, linked to the IHG premium card. It seems to have gone through as a purchase still.

• Tilly says:

Same here. Withdrew £100 on Friday linked to Hilton Visa and showing £100 pending on Barclaycard online. Hope this isn’t the end of easy points now. Found it really handy.

• Axel Heyst says:

You’ll need to wait in the statement on your linked card to cobfirm this.

So it’s 0% on overseas transactions and apply/android pay support. Good but not a game changer.

• meta says:

O/T but related to previous discussions on flying in sequence. I was just looking for a flight on lufthansa.com German site (got re-routed to there as have ex-UK flight to book) and noticed the following options to tick before search button:
    – I would like to benefit from the best offers and will use my flights in the booked sequence
    – I would like to have the flexibility to change the sequence of my flights

I guess Lufty at least in Germany is catching up on the EU regulations.

Have tried searching, but the mobile site keeps throwing errors at me.

• signol says:

Re Avis, the free weekend rental is for all members, not just Plus members. I’ve made 4 rentals with them this year, and received the voucher. I also got an upgrade on one, from a Focus to a Ford EcoSport SUV. Would have preferred the Focus tbh, even as a saloon had more luggage space!