BA

Bits: IHG launches UK and Ireland 4-day flash sale, BA Tesco bonus, Etihad adds 4th Heathrow service

News in brief:

IHG launches a four-day UK and Ireland Flash Sale

IHG has launched a short flash sale for Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Hotel Indigo and Staybridge Suites hotels in the UK and Ireland.

The rules are:

Book by midnight on 8th October

Stay between 8th October and 28th February 2019

Discount is up to 25% off Best Available Rate

The booking page is here

You need to be an IHG Rewards Club member to book, but sign-up is free.

As these rates are non-refundable, it isn’t really fair to say it is a 25% discount.  You’d normally get 10% off compared to the Best Available Rate for booking a non-refundable room, so the additional discount will be nearer 15%.  Still better than nothing though!

Don’t forget to register for the Autumn IHG Rewards Club promotion as well.

The new offer is called Double Points Plus More.  It runs from 16th September to 16th December.  You earn double base points from your 2nd stay, up to a maximum of 15,000 bonus points.  There are additional personalised targets which could be worth a lot more.

This is my article on the Double Points Plus More offer.  You can register on the IHG site here.

The booking page for the UK and Ireland flash sale is here.

PS. The picture is the Holiday Inn Camden Lock in London where we had the HFP Summer Party this year.

IHG Rewards Club UK flash sale

British Airways launches TARGETED Tesco Clubcard conversion bonus

Some – but only some – BAEC members who have previously converted from Tesco Clubcard have received an email with a special offer if they convert their upcoming October vouchers.

There are two versions:

1,000 bonus Avios when you convert at least £5 of Clubcard vouchers (£5 usually gets you 1,200 Avios), or

20% bonus Avios on your entire conversion (so 288 Avios per £1 of Clubcard vouchers)

In general, if you live in London (or another with a big Uber presence) then Uber / UberEats credit is a better deal than Avios or Virgin Flying Club miles.  £5 of Tesco Clubcard vouchers get you £15 of Uber credit (only valid in the UK) which is worth a lot more than 1,200 Avios.

Bearing this in mind, I would take the 1,000 bonus Avios promotion if available but only for the minimum of £5.  The 20% bonus will be worth doing for some – you are basically ‘paying’ 1.04p per Avios compared to taking Uber credit which a lot of readers would find acceptable.

The decline of Clubcard …..

I get a feeling that Avios has taken quite a hit from the dramatic scaling down of Tesco Clubcard over the last couple of years.  I mean …. 10 years ago Tesco was so prolific with bonus points that, when it partnered with Motorpoint at 4x face value, a lot of heavy collectors I knew were walking away with totally free cars.  These days you’d struggle to get enough for a little dangly air freshener.

Tesco Wine is also closing on 8th October following the recent closure of Tesco Direct.  This isn’t a major loss since Tesco Wine has deliberately not been offering Clubcard points as an incentive for the last couple of years.  I was told they attracted ‘the wrong sort of customer’.  Most businesses which offer an incentive to lure customers who never return would realise exactly where the problem was, but Tesco Wine never did ….

The conversion bonuses will run until 15th November.

Etihad adds 4th Heathrow service for the Christmas peak

Etihad is adding a 4th daily service from London Heathrow to Abu Dhabi for the Christmas peak period.

Between 15th December and 13th January, there will be a Boeing 787-9 service daily.  On most days this will leave Heathrow at 12.50 (arriving 23.45) with the return leaving Abu Dhabi at 07.05 (arriving 11.00).

There is no First Class on the 787-9.  It has 21 Business Class Studio seats (see the Etihad site here, it is the same as the A380 Studio which I reviewed here) and 271 Economy seats.

Additional capacity increases are being made to other destinations such as the Maldives.  You can book at etihad.com here. In addition, if you are not already an Etihad Guest member, you can sign up here and receive 500 bonus miles.

Has a 2nd Lloyds Avios Rewards upgrade voucher appeared in your account?
Get £50 off £100 spend at Amazon with Amazon Business (and were you our competition winner?)

BA
IHG
BA

Comments

1. Richard says:

Hi, will hotels booked through the IHG flash sale count toward the ‘Double Points Plus More’ stay targets? I think I remember previously during a 30% sale they didn’t

2. O/T if I have an Amex offer showing on both my card and my wife’s supplementary card, does that mean I can use the offer twice?

3. Newbie questions.

If I spend 2000 early with AMEX gold, do I get the 20K bonus straight away or after 3 months? What about an extra 2000 for being referred?

Also when can I expect Economist offer Avios to be posted if I subscribe today?

• You usually get them as soon as the transaction which takes you over the spend target has been credited with points (so usually a day or two after the purchase has cleared).

I seem to think my Avios from the Economist took about 5-6 weeks

4. Is it possible to send Clubcard points from one Clubcard account to various BAEC accounts? Perhaps this could trigger several times the 1000 bonus

• Dave Barron says:

Probably not. I tried to do that with my wife’s BAEC account number using my Tesco points and it hasn’t gone through. However she still has her passport and BAEC in her maiden name which may make the difference.

5. Hi
    Is there any way of moving Iberia plus to to BA without an avios account

thanks

6. OT – can’t put my hands on Rob’s Radisson points valuation, think it was 0.3p, can someone confirm?
    Looking at redemptions in Berlin in November… but the prices are so low I think it makes no sense!

• Yes, I’d tend to say 0.33p-ish, although I’ve found it harder to find that sort of value recently.

• How about Hilton, are you revising down in light of points hike at lower end? I used to think your valuation was a little bit low but now I think it’s about right.

7. Have not received the BA email re Tesco points although have transferred points to Avios in the past any idea how I can get this email.

8. O/T – just wanted to say thanks Rob and Anika! If it wasn’t for HFP I wouldn’t be sitting in the O2 SPG suite now waiting to see Michael McIntyre. THANK YOU!

• Tilly, did you find your way to HFP via SP? I seem to recall you be a regular there before finding your way here. Enjoy the show.

• Sorry BJ don’t think it was me. Found HFP on a google search when I was trying to decide whether or not to get my first BAPP card.

9. I haven’t earned more than a couple of quid per quarter in Tesco vouchers for at least 12 months. I used to get all my wine from Tesco Wine by the Case, but it seems I haven’t had any in 2 years. I suppose that not drinking much for the last 6 months was somewhat of a factor, but I would have stocked up for Christmas. These days, I find Tesco to be mostly irrelevant.

• Did a grocery shop in Tesco today for the first time in ages. I wasn’t impressed, it seems that they have cut back their range of products substantially. I also remain convinced that Sainsbury’s is cheaper, at least in my area.

• Shoestring says:

Don’t spurn Lidl & Aldi just because you (possibly) think they are infra dig discounters.

At their best, they offer excellent European deli quality food at very good value for money prices. @my local Lidl: fresh bakery, meats, fruit & veg, charcuterie, dips & humous etc is FAR better quality than the big 4 – at a cheaper price.

• I like Aldi, especially the larger new stores. Agree on the comments about some of the food. Also get the impression a lot of people rate the wines in Aldi although I’m not a wine drinker my choice. The chocolate section is more my thing., used t like the Ritter sport variety packs they sold there. Not quite sure why but my impression of Lidl is not so good as Aldi. I’ve always tended to shop at my nearest supermarket whatever it was and now mostly shop groceries online as I dislike shopping. Just went to Tesco today to ground up the numbers on our clubcard before 18th. Also had a good look around to see what was left of Direct in-store. Mostly all small stuff but I did see some large tv’s but no garden sheds or washing machines.

• Lady London says:

I think Tesco pulling out of Direct is going to mean prices in places like Amazon will rise as key low-price competitor that was Tesco in so many categories, is now gone.

I certainly noticed the effect on a couple of exceptional things I had thought about buying from Tesco, as soon as Tesco closed Direct the prices of everyone else on those things seemed to go up.

• Lady London says:

+ 1 I’m a big fan of both.
          I wouldn’t put them much behind quite a lot of things you would only be able to find in Waitrose otherwise. It depends on the branch and also the time of year, of course.
          I gave up on the 3 of the big 4 except for exceptions, some years ago now.
          Feedback I’ve seen from a couple of surveys said the emergence of the so-called “discounter” shopper that also shops at the other end of the market and not in between, is increasing in other categories not just groceries.

• Shoestring says:

True enough. TD prices were often sharp enough to challenge anycomers, they apparently didn’t make any money overall. OK I don’t know much about their costs (though headcount was pretty low). Price & margin must have been a big part of it. I don’t think the HfP (& other) pointmeisters made that much difference to business viability in the grand scheme of things.

Easy enough to google cheaper prices than Amazon, though.

10. Shoestring says:

SHOP SMALL is back
    · Spend £10 or more, get £5 back.
    · Save to Card to get a £5 statement credit when you spend £10+ in-store at participating small businesses between 1 December and 16 December 2018. Valid once per Card per business. Terms and payment restrictions apply.
    · This promotion is intended for UK, Cardmembers only.
    · Offer only available at participating locations.
    · To view participating Shop Small locations please visit: americanexpress.com/en-GB/maps. Eligible locations will be highlighted with a Shop Small logo.

11. Peter K says:

I find Tesco the best for gluten free products (though I cannot vouch for Waitrose as there are none near me) so that sways it for me to go there.

Locally, Sainsburys is definitely more expensive than Tescos but I’ve found the quality of their products has gone down.

Lidl and Aldi are okay for certain things but I don’t find myself raving about them.

12. Can you book the IHG flash sale rates through the IHG app, if so, how?

13. I have about £400 in points in my Tesco clubcard account and about £50 to come on my next statement, if I turn on the auto-convert to get the 20% bonus will the whole of my previous balance get converted? or will It just be the £50?

14. I bought £5 worth of Avios points (1,200) 10 days ago after receiving the email from Tesco about the 1,000 bonus. Still no sign of the bonus on my BAEC account! Does anyone know how long it should take for the bonus to be applied?